PDA

View Full Version : 50 Racks of BB's - Call For Advice

CROSSCZEK
09-14-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm doing a party for a friend of the family this up coming weekend. They bought all babyback ribs, but I've only done spares. My spares have all turned out awesome, but I'm kind of apprehensive about doing BB's.
I have a very large reverse flow offset and I'll be doing the ribs on site to be served hot off the smoker.
SmokinTurkey has made me some stainless racks that will hold the BB's upright.
I'm not used to foiling my spares, but am concerned about drying out the BB's. I don't really want to foil 50 racks of BB's.
I kind of believe that if I keep the smoker full of meat, there's plenty of humidity in there by default to keep the ribs moist.
Should I also put a water pan in, or fill my baffle up with juice/water?
Or, maybe a bunch of foil pans and wrap them in bulk with a little juice?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
-scott

Jeff Hughes
09-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Don't foil, they will be fine. They just take less time than spares...

Ron_L
09-14-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't know your cooker, so it's hard to say about the water pan or filling the baffle, but if you are happy with spares without foiling I think you'll be happy with the baby backs. As Jeff said, they will take less time. Do you have time to do a test rack for timing?

Goose
09-14-2009, 09:47 AM
No need to foil, spritzing after the first hour and every half hour with a spray bottle with half vinegar and half apple juice will add moisture to the chamber and add a lot of flavor. They can get done a lot faster than spares so just keep an eye on them.

landarc
09-14-2009, 09:52 AM
I agree with those guys. Baby backs are a lot like smaller versions of St. Louis ribs, just watch that temp and time.

bbqfans
09-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Good advice^^^^^^^^, mine is Keep the top shut for 2/3rds of the cook, keeps in"the moisture" and pressure on the surface of the meat,thus pushing moisture and flavors into the meat.Then check to see bendability and pull on the bones.
Sounds crazy,but I do all my Ribs like that and always have an excellent outcome. BB's timing (starts)at 2-2-1, so 3-1/2 hrs. in,check them.....
Just saying,
good luck and SMOKE HAPPY :rolleyes:
Stan aka Old School

Jeff Hughes
09-14-2009, 10:03 AM
The timing depends on what temp you cook and if your cooker will be over loaded.

I get bb's done in about 3 hours, never more than 3.5, cooking at 275 to 300...

Lake Dogs
09-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Having cooked a few in rib holders (upright), they can be too close together and not
cook properly; centers not done while outside is done. When I use them (rib racks),
I put the ribs in ever-other-one, leaving space between them to circulate the heat
and the smoke.

Also, personal opinion, baby backs can be oversmoked (I've done it more than once).
I now foil them as much for that reason as any other (as spritzing keeps moisture
fine). So, if not foiling, try to have the smoke on for 1 to 2 hours if possible.

wheels61
09-14-2009, 04:32 PM
the only thing i do differently is not cook them as long. we try to never foil, except when running out of time.

JimDandysNYDan
09-14-2009, 04:41 PM
I never foil my BB's just spritz them every hour....they'll be fine.

firecracker jack
09-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Well, I don't know if I'll be much help other than what's already been said...Except for I have always foiled my baby-backs and have had ok results...Just on Labor day weekend I did 21 slabs...That I foiled...It was a huge PITA..It took up a lot of time, and they were so juicy that it washed away my blend of seasonings and left me with a huge amount of juicy greasy goodness to dispose of..Not to mention all the foil$$$. Next time I do baby-backs I'm gonna try not foiling as has been suggested.....

firecrackerjack

Mitch
09-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Foil = Mush.
Learn how your cooker "cooks" and you will put out fine Q.

Hugh Jorgan
09-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Foil = Mush.
Learn how your cooker "cooks" and you will put out fine Q.

One more vote for no foil.

early mornin' smokin'
09-14-2009, 07:08 PM
anytime ive foiled, ive hated them, keep the smoker shut for a solid 2 hrs, spritz with apple juice and vinegar, or whatever u'd like every half an hour until they are finished. I dont know your pit, but i wouldnt go much higher than 260.

C Rocke
09-14-2009, 09:25 PM
230 to 240 und machen wit den spritzen, and you'll be fine!

Bentley
09-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Guess I am the only person who like to foil my ribs.

BBQchef33
09-14-2009, 10:29 PM
no foil! they cook fine, will be done in about 4-5 hours. if you can avoid the racks, do so. as mentioned,m they can extend cook times unless they give amnple airspace between the meat. Wehn I use racks, i only put 4 racks ber rack instead of the 6 the rack will hold.

You can fit 8 racks of BBs in a foil pan standing upright with some apple juice in the bottom. Pull them off BEFORE they are fall off the bone, put them in the pan, and cover it tightly. They will continue to cook and finish nicely without wrecking the bark or getting mushy.

CROSSCZEK
09-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks to all for the advice - and keep it comin' if you got it to offer!
The one time I foiled my ribs they turned to mush. The next time I didn't and they were perfect. All other times with unfoiled spares were a success also.
I will plan on spritzing and pulling before they're done, then put in a foil pan with cider till ready. But due to space, I don't know if I'll be able to get by without using the racks a little more efficiently. Maybe I'll put two in adjacent spaces, bone side to bone side, then skip a space, then two more. So, the meat sides all have full access to smoky goodness and heat. The rib holders were designed to have two inches of space ea spot, so we'll see. I don't even have them yet. I'll post pics of them when the UPS man comes.

RichardF
09-15-2009, 10:06 AM
no foil! they cook fine, will be done in about 4-5 hours...

yep 4-5 hours (of course temp and weight dependent). i'd work backwards from my/your typical cook-time for spares. it's my experience (temp and weight dependent) that you can figure about an hour less cook time for bb's.

good luck

Lake Dogs
09-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks to all for the advice - and keep it comin' if you got it to offer!
The one time I foiled my ribs they turned to mush. The next time I didn't and they were perfect. All other times with unfoiled spares were a success also.
I will plan on spritzing and pulling before they're done, then put in a foil pan with cider till ready. But due to space, I don't know if I'll be able to get by without using the racks a little more efficiently. Maybe I'll put two in adjacent spaces, bone side to bone side, then skip a space, then two more. So, the meat sides all have full access to smoky goodness and heat. The rib holders were designed to have two inches of space ea spot, so we'll see. I don't even have them yet. I'll post pics of them when the UPS man comes.

The rib rack(s) that I have hold 5. The first two times I tried loading 4
or 5 racks in them I was VERY disappointed with how the ribs came out.
Then ends were perfect, but the centers weren't cooked properly and
didnt have enough smoke...

Once I went to putting only 3 in them (1 empty space between each
rack), I've been very happy with the results.

Love to see pics of how this comes out!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

CROSSCZEK
09-15-2009, 10:54 AM
The rib rack(s) that I have hold 5. The first two times I tried loading 4
or 5 racks in them I was VERY disappointed with how the ribs came out.
Then ends were perfect, but the centers weren't cooked properly and
didnt have enough smoke...

Once I went to putting only 3 in them (1 empty space between each
rack), I've been very happy with the results.

Love to see pics of how this comes out!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Thanks!
As I said in the original post, Smokin'Turkey (Brian) is making them for me. They're made our of 1/4" stainless stock and will have 15 spaces each (I ordered 3) on 2" centers.
I never considered the centers of the ribs not getting done. Your advice will certainly be in my fore-thoughts.

I learned the hard way a few weeks ago (when I cooked 36 butts) about overloading the cooker. I may try and get 'er up to about 350* before I load 50 racks of ribs in, then let it coast down to the 250* cursing speed....I mean cruising speed.

-scott

Lake Dogs
09-15-2009, 11:04 AM
You're welcome.

I hear 'ya on the loaded down cookers. They cook completely different when loaded
to the teeth vs. a *normal* load. I'm not certain about 350, but 300 probably isn't
out of the question. Also, if they are that high, please make certain that you're
not using sugar(s) in the rub. I know a *few* people who enjoy that taste, but
frankly they're mutants... They also eat Parkay from the bottle...

50 is a load, no matter how big your cooker is. If you're hurting for surface space
and you're doing an every-other-one in the rib rack slots, you may consider taking
one set of racked ribs and interlacing them into the others (just the ends)....
'course, must be careful that you're not swapping one problem for another.