PDA

View Full Version : smoking (not good looking lol) virgin...need help

Dagobaker
09-13-2009, 09:32 PM
im starting with nothing
i have some fruit tree prunings (if i chipped them i would have about 2 - 5 gallon buckets and will have the same amount every fall (i prune after all leaves fall)
and 1.5 bags of kingsford normal charcoal and an old propane piece of crap that i converted into charcoal
i want to start with a small or medium sized machine thats hands off
im home until about 10pm and then go to my girlfriends to sleep
so........i wont be there to add wood until the morning.........so i thought the treager would be nice
price for the pellets isnt really a big deal to me.........ill be experimenting all fall/winter
looking at this?
http://traegeroutlet.com/inc/sdetail/17575

WineMaster
09-13-2009, 09:35 PM
I say a WSM is the way to go.

BBQ Grail
09-13-2009, 09:35 PM
UDS...got to start with a UDS.

Meat Burner
09-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Depends on how much money you want to spend and how important your time is with your girlfried. It's all about money in your case, maybe really not about bbq. BBQ isn't I want it now. Don't get mad at me bro.

Roo-B-Q'N
09-13-2009, 09:46 PM
I am not sure there is really a true set and forget cooker. And simply for saftey reasons I would never leave anything unattended for any lenth of time. I would start early and take off and get it into the fridge before heading out.

One school of thought is that food does not take on smoke after 140* is that true? I don't know, I have oversmoked a lot of food before learning to do it the correct way.

Ok now all that said a Traeger is supposed to be a good cooker, but with all pellet pooper it can and more than likely will bridge at times and not deliver pellets as required.

If you get a cooker that is mobile, than you can take it to your girlfriends house and have no problems. It then becomes a fire management issue. Just my thoughts, have fun whatever you do.

Rookie'48
09-13-2009, 10:02 PM
I am not sure there is really a true set and forget cooker. And simply for safety reasons I would never leave anything unattended for any length of time.

Amen to that! Having a nap while you are right inside the house is one thing - being on the other side of town is begging for trouble.

Dagobaker
09-13-2009, 11:28 PM
I need a smoker that is set and forget. If I start the 10 # butt at 8 pm it could b ready by 11 am. I won't b home to add wood. What other choice do I have?

Papa Payne
09-14-2009, 01:47 AM
To produce good BBQ takes time and attention to details. There's no shortcut....:|

h20loo
09-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Sounds like you are in a George Forman stage of life. Q'n may have to wait until you only have one bed and many smokers!! Always tailgateing Q!
Does Smokey Bones or Charlie Staples sound good??

Tweedle
09-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Have you gf sleep at your house..... get a uds so you only have to check it 2-3 time a night.

Roo-B-Q'N
09-14-2009, 10:19 AM
I need a smoker that is set and forget. If I start the 10 # butt at 8 pm it could b ready by 11 am. I won't b home to add wood. What other choice do I have?

You could look into the electric type smokers like Cookshack that feed the biscuits, but here again it is fire and leaving it without supervision could lead to trouble.

If you are wanting to stay "pure" you could put the cooker at yor gf house and cook overnight.

Dagobaker
09-14-2009, 11:06 AM
im starting to see that my situation isnt ideal
maybe ill start with the traeger and then after my living situation is better get the UDS or WSM

boatnut
09-14-2009, 12:13 PM

As others have said, no matter what the cooker, I wouldnt leave for overnight. That being said, I have been using my electric masterbuilt quite a bit and have no qualms about running errands for a few hours. You DO need to add some chunks/chips on occasion though. Why don't you take the cooker to your g'f's house???

Dagobaker
09-14-2009, 03:16 PM
i just went and looked at a propane based unit that uses chips and the xl big green egg
im going tomm and look at the traeger........
im more confused than ever
im at my house from 11am to about 10 pm and at her house from 1030 pm to 1030 am
what the hell can i do?..........get smaller pieces of meat?.......
the only other solution is to have it at her house and start in the middle of the night and its ready the next evening.........ok im more comfused
if a 10# boston shoulder takes 15 hours what am i going to do?

carpetbagger1
09-14-2009, 03:35 PM
if a 10# boston shoulder takes 15 hours what am i going to do?

Looks like you've got a few options:

1. Ditch the g/f for a night.
2. Make the g/f come to you.
3. Ditch the smoker for your oven. :x
4. Ditch the g/f for a smoker!!!!

Tweedle
09-14-2009, 03:54 PM

1. Ditch the g/f for a night. +1
2. Make the g/f come to you. +1
3. Ditch the smoker for your oven. :x -1
4. Ditch the g/f for a smoker!!!!+2

How about boiling and then adding liquid smoke??:eek::eek::eek:

BBQ Bandit
09-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Not trying to sound with a smart-remark...

The real question... can the relationship manage a smoker?
Its not a coincidence a Brother here named his smoker... "the mistress".

Dagobaker
09-14-2009, 05:05 PM

1. Ditch the g/f for a night.
2. Make the g/f come to you.
3. Ditch the smoker for your oven. :x
4. Ditch the g/f for a smoker!!!!
well my gf cant stay over here (cant get into here.....no other woman btw)
if i dont stay over there im into a world of hurt
i have no use for my oven :)
i really like the xl green egg but its about 1150 with tax and a bag of charcoal
the propane is more practical because i can use the chips from my fruit trees but then again i can use them in the green egg anyway
but the propane is much cheaper
ill get a good look at the traeger tomm

firecracker jack
09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Build a UDS and take with you to your girlfriends house...

firecrackerjack

Dagobaker
09-14-2009, 07:09 PM
how heavy are those things?
im not the greatest at building and will it fit in my civic?

MrJP1957
09-14-2009, 07:23 PM
how heavy are those things?
im not the greatest at building and will it fit in my civic?

It's basically a 55 gallon drum. Not that difficult to build, but I don't think you're going to put one in a civic. I would suggest you look into maybe a WSM and leave it at her place. But even then, you are going to have to stay there beyound 10:30 some times.

It sounds to me like you are going to have to restrict your smokin. No matter what you get, LEAVING A FIRE UNATTENDED OVERNIGHT IS NOT SAFE.

I don't know your entire situation, but it sounds like you may have to postpone your smokin efforts. But there's always a nice Grilled Porterhouse.

Dagobaker
09-14-2009, 08:01 PM
what would happen if i took 2 10# boston butts and cut them in 1/2 and had 4 pieces
could i smoke them 1/2 the time?
i know its not ideal but............maybe its the solution

Redwingsfn31
09-14-2009, 08:38 PM

Have ur g/f sleep at ur house.:biggrin:

h20loo
09-14-2009, 08:49 PM
this thread is useless without pictures!!!

watertowerbbq
09-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Start with ribs and chicken and show her how good the food tastes. Then tell her that you need to do a pork butt, but that it takes time. She should understand at let you bring the cooker over to her place.

Have we heard why the smoker can't just go to her place? If you've got a Civic, ditch the Traeger and go with a WSM, UDS or even a Weber kettle. All should fit in a Civic.

Buster Dog BBQ
09-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Look at cooking butts/briskets hot. Get them done in 4-5 hours. You can do a butt in less than 12 hours low and slow too. Maybe you need a sitc burner you can tow behind your car between places. But in all reality, if you're not going for lots of overnight cooks, just get a webber kettle.

BBQ Bandit
09-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Would it be easier to take her to a local comp and if she can see you doing that efforts.?

Tweedle
09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Look at cooking butts/briskets hot. Get them done in 4-5 hours. You can do a butt in less than 12 hours low and slow too. Maybe you need a sitc burner you can tow behind your car between places. But in all reality, if you're not going for lots of overnight cooks, just get a webber kettle.

Im not sure whats safer, leaving fire burning in your yard unattended overnight or dragging a flaming smoker behind a civic like a mad man thru town......:shock:

prob hard to keep the temps stead wile driving....:roll:

Dagobaker
09-14-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm learning a ton just by asking and getting responses
I'm really more confused now than ever
Im really impressed with the XL green egg. It's a huge cost but I'm thinking it's a great investment. I'm guessing it holds heat extremely well and I can layer my homegrown fruit tree chips with their charcoal for great smoke
I can also grill steaks and dogs and burgers on there too
any cons to the big green egg XL?

Hugh Jorgan
09-14-2009, 10:53 PM

I'm gonna have to see pics of the girlfriend, then pics of the cooker you are planning to get. Then I will make a decision.

#edit#

Nevermind, I see you are considering a pellet pooper, or a gasser, just stick with the girlfriend and practice boiling ribs until you guys get something worked out. :twisted:

Dagobaker
09-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Hello. I'm looking at the XL big green egg. I can mix my homegrown fruit tree chips in there too
u can't boil ribs? Lol

garyk1398
09-15-2009, 04:30 AM
Here's my suggestion....get ya one of these!
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/200452115-001.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=405954B421854B6AFB90EB58B4621D4649207362A3F24453
Or maybe this one...
http://s2.thisnext.com/media/400x400/The-Bruce-balcony-barbeque_F21E1886.jpg

Phubar
09-15-2009, 05:12 AM
Simple answer for me....I'd smoke and leave the girl alone.
That's why my relation probably ended cause I chose for the smokers!:wink:
It's all about priorities....

Dr_KY
09-15-2009, 05:35 AM
I don't believe this for one second.

carpetbagger1
09-15-2009, 02:15 PM
This thread makes me uncomfortbale. Even though I don't know exactly what they are, I feel like this conversation has broken at least 50% of guy-rules, and 75% of smoking rules. I just feel dirty.

1. I'm not an experienced smoker compared to most of the pubas on this board, but there's no way I'd invest $1,000+ in an egg or smoker without having done some smokes on a less expensive model. I should think you'd at least want some base line of knowledge before dropping that kind of dough. It can be a tricky and time consuming endeavor, which leads me to point 2;

2. If you're going into this with a set it and forget mentality, my guess is this isn't something you're going to want to stick with over the long haul. Even with a UDS (which I think would be the best choice for you) which tends to be excellent at maintaining temps, you need to keep a close and watchful eye. Smoking is a time consuming process, and there's no way around that.

Wager
09-15-2009, 02:18 PM
im at my house from 11am to about 10 pm and at her house from 1030 pm to 1030 am
what the hell can i do?..........get smaller pieces of meat?.......

Are you under some sort of strange house arrest or something? you have to be at your house for those hours? She can't come to your house?

12 hours at your g/f's is plenty of time to get a butt done on a WSM. Prep the butt at your house, start up the smoker when you get to your g/f's house, get the temp up to 250 - 275 and you should be able to get it done. When you hit the platue around 170 foil it and it should get to pulling tender pretty quick. Once there just wrap with towels, stick in a cooler and it will be ready for you to pull when you get back to prison, uh, your house.

don't drop the soap.

Fat Guy
09-15-2009, 03:27 PM
I got it.:idea:

Buy 2.
1 fer yur place
1 fer her place

Then just take yer meat to and from.8-)

Dagobaker
09-15-2009, 05:20 PM
i decided to pull the trigger on the traeger 075
http://traegeroutlet.com/inc/sdetail/38
found it local and got a good price
i think ill start with this machine since its kinda like a smoker on training wheels
then after i get the hang of the smoking part ill start to look around for a free barrel and build a uds.....i built a 200 square foot greenhouse myself so i should be able to build one of those
im planning on possible doing some concession sales in the spring and ill have a few months experience smoking by then .........ihave over 20 years experience in the restaurant business and want to get out of the kitchen
thinking french fries and pop with my pulled pork sandwitches and the like and maybe some baked goods (pastry chef also)
i can fit 6 10 # butts in this grill

boatnut
09-15-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm still confused. you said you spend 12 hours at your place and 12 hrs at your girlfriends. when do you do the restaurant thing? I think we need a pic of your g.f. to finally settle this thing :) by the way, a friend bought a traeger and loves it. his first smoker.

Dagobaker
09-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm unemployed for 3 months now
I'm trying to get in the mental place of concession stand now. Burned out of restaurant business

MAB52
09-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey Dagobaker,
I would say you made a wise choice!!!!! I have the Lil Tex and it is a set and forget type smoker. I put a butt in it go to bed and get up 8 hrs later and it is still going and that is very nice. In fact I would be surprised after you taste the food that you can cook with it you will ever think about an egg. We cook pizza, bake bread and biscuits, ribs, roasts, brisket, chicken, salmon you name it and I get nothing but "ata boys". This is the greatest cooker I have used and the variety of pellets at your choice will give you all the options you will need. Look forward to your pron.

Dr_KY
09-16-2009, 06:55 AM
I second the girlfriend picture thing.

Dr_KY
09-16-2009, 06:57 AM
i wont be there to add wood until the morning.........so i thought the treager would be nice
price for the pellets isnt really a big deal to me.........ill be experimenting all fall/winter

Are you geting a good deal on pellets?

garyk1398
09-16-2009, 08:03 AM
I second the girlfriend picture thing.
All in favor signafy by saying Ay....Ay! Motion passes. How about a pic of her standing by the near new smoker? :rolleyes:

big brother smoke
09-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Damn don't you take a day for yourself? You have violated several man rules!

Dagobaker
09-16-2009, 09:11 AM
got the 075traeger
cover
electronic upgrade
bag cherry
bag misquite
bag apple
4 spices
2 sauces
tax and delivery for 1065$
he has the pellets for 18$. + tax after I use these up
the girl is a normal 40 yr old woman. I am 35
I get my grill on Thursday and I'll start experimenting then
I'm thinking eventually pulled pork sandies on big kaiser rolls. Fries. Pop. Cookies and brownies. For possible concession
I know it's a pellet pooper and I'm not a true BBQ er but ya gotta start somewhere

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
09-16-2009, 09:12 AM
yeah, what does the girlfriend look like???? I mean, she could be smokin

Dagobaker
09-16-2009, 03:11 PM
she is not smoking......and after being with a "smokin" woman that **** wears off after a bit anyway........men are men and ladies are ladies.........nothing changes

NorthwestBBQ
09-16-2009, 06:04 PM
After your first cook the rules regarding your bizarre relationship and hours will change overnight. I guarantee it. :twisted:

Dr_KY
09-16-2009, 06:04 PM
she is not smoking......and after being with a "smokin" woman that **** wears off after a bit anyway........men are men and ladies are ladies.........nothing changes

Hey as long as yall are in love then that's all that matters.Remember please don't take offence we are just ribbin ya.

BTW my wife is 42:icon_cool

TexasGuppie
09-16-2009, 07:49 PM
what the hell can i do?

Get a new girlfriend that lives across the street.

Dagobaker
09-16-2009, 08:59 PM
i like her being as far away as possible
im not too big on relationships..........except once i start bbq :)

BBQ Bandit
09-16-2009, 10:54 PM
i like her being as far away as possible
im not too big on relationships..........except once i start bbq :)

Creating your own smoked BBQ will open a new world to you.

In the golden words of the '70's band Bachman Turner Overdrive....
"You aint seen nuttin' yet".

Patience, grasshopper... and welcome to old school.

openstudent
09-17-2009, 05:52 AM
yep, i got my boots on. because the sh** is getting deep:icon_shy

Dagobaker
09-17-2009, 09:15 AM
my traeger comes today
i might do a hot smoke today and then tomm start bright and early and do a shoulder/butt

MAB52
09-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey Dago,
You might want to season it first before you get it too hot too fast.