PDA

View Full Version : Follow-up to Help Cooking Bison (PRON)

SkySaw
09-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks to the advice here, my Bison tenderloin was outrageously good.

I had a Bison tenderloin and 2 beef tenderloins to cook up for my wife's birthday dinner tonight. I crushed some fresh garlic and added it to some kosher salt and coarse ground pepper for a rub on all the steaks.

Heated the Green Egg to a solid 700 degrees and let the ceramic come up to temp before dropping in the steaks. Seared the steaks at 700 for 2 minutes per side, then closed the vents and let the steaks sit for another 3 minutes.

I checked the internal temp and found the Bison tenderloin at 95, so I intended to let it ride for another 1 minute. However, I have a 4-year old and a 2-year old, and I was letting my wife take it easy for a while, so it took me more like 2 minutes to get back to the Egg. The Bison was now up to 130 (I had intended to take it off in the low 120's), so I pulled all the steaks, and watched as the Bison went up in temp to a peak of 144.

OK, 144 is not so bad, although I was looking for mid to late 130's. Here's the goods (Bison in the foreground, beef behind):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3438/3918087454_bb8ffcbdef_o.jpg

Cutting into the steaks, they looked absolutely beautiful. My wife has no understanding of the PRON thing, so further attempts at photography were avoided (given that it is her birthday and all), so no more photos of those steaks. But I have to say, wow they were good.

The Bison was tender enough to pull apart with a fork, and would not have required teeth to eat. I would have said it was as tender as beef, but I had some beef tenderloin against which to directly compare, and the beef was like butter in comparison. The Bison also had a slightly more jerky-like flavour. Really, really good.

Finished the meal with some ice-cream cake over grilled peaches. That meal put me in a wonderful mood. The kids just had the ice-cream cake, no peaches, but they'll come around.

So thanks again for the Bison cooking advice. It was excellent, and I will not hesitate to eat it again.

Mark

Grillman
09-13-2009, 09:07 PM
They look excellent.

Mark Stanton
09-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Man that looks good! Glad it turned out good for ya. I still haven't been able to bring myself to get some bison and try it, given the price, but I might have to consider it from what I've been hearing :icon_smil.

Texas Turtle
09-14-2009, 07:31 AM
My son-in-law recently fed me bison ribeye in honor of my birthday. Cooked on his infrared gasser, the thing was red as a beet and tender as budda. Really good. Apparently, he and my daughter are on some kind of organic meat kick and pretty much only eat bison steaks. I may have to get some and give them a good charcoal treatment to see how they come out.