PDA

View Full Version : Chili Cookoff - HELP!

BigDaddyJ
09-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, I have been "called out." It's not of my own doing...well, it is, in a round about way. People I work with have been to my house, tasted my food, and listened to my friends talk about how I can cook damn near everything. :shock:

Here's the problem. There is a Chili Cookoff coming up later this month at work. I was DIRECTLY invited by the coordinator to participate. The only Chili I make often enough to be good at it, is a Chili Verde w/ Pork. Granted, I can enter that, but someone suggested I submit a Red as well. I've seen the recipe section, and before my brain could shut down my mouth, I said "well chit, how about a brisket chili?" Crap. What did I just agree too?

I've made brisket before. Good enough to slap yo' Momma. However, I've failed at it more times than I have succeeded. (my dogs wait in anticipation for me to bury the next failure in the back yard)

I need some guidance from the Brethren. Please help guide me in my quest for one bad @$$ brisket chili!!!...otherwise I have to go against my reputation of 1) a great cook...and 2) someone who doesn't back down from anything!

landarc
09-13-2009, 02:09 PM
I think a brisket chili made with point meat (faux burnt end chili) would be tasty. Cook a couple of full briskets and get those points off. I really took a lot of encouragement off of Saiko's experiments with Hot and Fast brisket and Funk's various videos.

BBQ Grail
09-13-2009, 02:28 PM
The Mo-Fo Brisket chili recipe in the "recipe" section will do good for you.

Markbb
09-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Thirdeye has a green chili recipe that is killer....

Lake Dogs
09-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Competition chili cook here. You're right; its going to be very tough to have a verde
place in an open competition. I suggest looking at some of the meat only CASi recipes and mix in brisket vs. chuck. www.chili.org (http://www.chili.org). Google seach CASI national
champion recipe. Being in Virginia, I highly doubt Texas Red plays well. I suggest
mixing in fresh onion, bell pepper, garlic, perhaps some rotel tomatos...

zopi
09-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Ok...I'm gonna share...Ever make Posole?

Grab a Butt (Not that one..!) and sear it on the grill like you want every last bit of flavor out of it...5-600 degrees...then drop that sucker in the pressure cooker (or braise your call, I'm impatient..) with some fine mince onion, red chile powder and cumin, don't salt it yet...you can add a little white and black pepper to the mix to stretch the burn all the way across the palate (I'm evil like that.) Anyway,
Pressure cook that down to choppin or pullin' pork, your choice, when it's coming apart done, strain the stock in to a bowl, let the meat drain, and pick all the slimy fat out...put the stock back in the pot after you wash it (!) and bring up to a simmer, add
a couple cans of white hominy, and a can of beans of your choice, you can thicken it with roux if desired..but make it a dirty blonde roux..put the meat back in and adjust liquid content and seasoning to your taste..if you will use garlic, add it just a few minutes before service, as the chile and cumin overwhelms sweet garlic...

I have not made chile con carne since I learned this recipe from dad about 15 years ago..

cowgirl
09-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I put tequila in mine....not sure if it tastes any better, but it makes me feel better. :wink:

Chipper
09-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Take a look at our site. There are 5 recipes on there that have won "open" events.
The Black Mamba, and the Dysfunctional Family Style do the best. A no bean chili sometimes does OK depending on where you are.
http://redlionspicyfoods.com/Chili_Recipes.htm

bbqfans
09-14-2009, 09:46 AM
This may help......http://www.texmex.net/Recipes/texasred.htm
Just do it, you can cook,I won over a dozen training "Chefs" in 2000 and in 2001 at a "Cooking for Seniors" contest for Health Care Residents.
They know you are a good cook, SHOW THEM:!:
That's my PeP talk, good luck:!::!::!:

BigDaddyJ
09-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the ideas and the pep talk! I'm going to go ahead and do it. I'll report back with the results. The cookoff is the 21st...