PDA

View Full Version : ABT Ideas

Learnin Querve
09-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm attending a gathering next week and would like to smoke up about 40-50 ABT's to take with me. My limitation is that I can't use any meat or shellfish in the filling, however I can do a bacon wrap.

I'd be grateful for any ideas for sweet as well as savory fillings.

My plan is to prep on Friday, refrigerate, and smoke late Sunday morning to serve around 1:00 pm.

Thanks in advance

Chris

BBQ Grail
09-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Cheeses
Refried beans

cold_smoked_canadian
09-12-2009, 10:43 PM
asparagus/cream cheese
baby corns
capers
devils on horseback (prunes stuffed with a fruity or savory chutney)
artichoke hearts
edamame (!) blarrrrg!...why would I even think of such a thing!
fiddleheads
baked garlics
couscous
pine nuts
egg (?)

Bushwacker
09-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Bread & Butter Pickles
any Fruit chopped up in the cream cheese

Northwoods Smoke
09-13-2009, 03:26 AM
Carmelized onions and fresh chives rocks (as long as the butter used in carmelizing is ok).

Tweedle
09-13-2009, 05:04 AM
My Fav is cream cheeze mixed with maple syrup ( the real stuff)

Beerwolf
09-13-2009, 10:54 AM
I throw a nice ripe peach and a red onion in the processor with a brick of cream cheese... rave reviews. the onion actually seems to bring out the peach a little more

peaspurple
09-13-2009, 10:57 AM
I like pepperjack cheese and pepperoni. also cream cheese. I have used onions and green pepper before too..you can put a little pulled pork in them too..

thillin
09-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Why no meat, but bacon wrap is OK?

82muchhomework
09-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Before I got into quein' I used to make Medjool Dates (pitted of course), stuffed with cheddar cheese, and wrapped in bacon (thrown in broiler until bacon was done). Essentially an ABT using a date instead of a jalapeño.

There is something wonderful with how the dates caramelize and that sweet flavor mixes with the bacon and cheese. They are always a hit, and are requested all the time.

Since many people cant handle the heat of a jalapeno, you could substitute some ABTs with dateBTs. They will be a hit.

Also, I find that when I use hickory bacon, the ABTs need a hint of something sweet. You could add a slice of date inside.

Learnin Querve
09-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Should have said "some" will have a bacon wrap. And I don't have any cooked Q on hand to mix with a filling.

For some reasons, my 3 sisters and daughter cannot eat pork. Even a few bites will have them worshiping the porcelain god all the next day.

There also will be a couple there that will eat dairy, but no meat.

Trying to please everyone.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

82muchhomework
09-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Should have said "some" will have a bacon wrap. And I don't have any cooked Q on hand to mix with a filling.

For some reasons, my 3 sisters and daughter cannot eat pork. Even a few bites will have them worshiping the porcelain god all the next day.

There also will be a couple there that will eat dairy, but no meat.

Trying to please everyone.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

My cousin is a Vegetarian, I understand trying to make food that everyone can enjoy is difficult at times.

How about turkey bacon for your wife and daughters.

You could also make some of Bossmanbbq's Fried ABTs without bacon. I think they would be excellent even without the bacon :eusa_clap (like a jalapeno popper).