PDA

View Full Version : Successful Brisket

nolaman
09-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Last weekend hopefullly my luck has changed after the third time failing to get it right. I did my homework, and read every post and thread on the subject. My wife surprised my with a 12 lb. packer. I made a mariade of Dr. Pepper , worchestshire, and Cajun injector sauces, added some cajun spices and soaked the sucker for 48 hrs. ( I fiqured the longer the better). During that time I made a few modifacations to the Chargriller, a new charcoal basket, flipped the charcoal pan to use as a baffle, and extended the hood vent down to grill level. Got these ideas :idea: from this website, see pics.
I slathered the meat with mustard and rubbed with a homemade recipe from this website and let it rest while I prepped the grill. The new basket took 3 chimneys full of charcoal K. The 4th chimney I lit on the side burner. Using the Minion method I placed the grey coals on top of the unlit coals, with all vents fully opened. After about 30 mins. the temperture was about 300 degrees at about 1:30am. Placed the meat with the lightly trimmed fat side down. Placed the fat trimmings on the shelf above to render down on top of the meat. The temperture dropped down to 130 degrees., I kept the bottom intake vent until it was closed completely , and could not get below 230 degrees . (any suggestions ?) I watched until past 2:30am. and temp did not change. WENT TO BED!!! Got up at 4:30am. to check temp. still 230 degrees and went back to bed. Got up at 7:30am. and the temp. had dropped to a little under 200 degrees. The meat temp. was 160 degrees at the point end. The coals had dwindled down to about half. I lit another chimney full of K and added it to the basket. I turned the meat over with the fat side up to finish. Cooked until 190 degress internal temp. on the point end. The probe went in just like butter!! The flat end was a little tougher, temp. there was 160 degrees.? I pulled off the meat and put it in foil and sauced it with a homemade sauce of beer, Dr. Pepper and seasonings, then wrapped it in towels , placed in cooler until dinner time at 5:30pm. After 7 hrs. the temp. was still 140 degrees. AMAZING!!:lol: The flat end when I cut it was a little drier but by far not burnt! The point was tender and moist!!
Finally here is the pron!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

PS. How do I add text with the photos? This is my first time starting a thread with attachments.( just learning all this computer chit!)

coon@$$

Papa Payne
09-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Oh my gosh, that looks mighty good! You have inspired me to attempt a Brisket on the CG... :-D

Marked it down on my list of things to do...

mbshop
09-12-2009, 06:28 PM
looks great from here. congrats.

bigabyte
09-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Congrats! You'll be hooked now for sure.:cool:

Papa Payne
09-12-2009, 06:31 PM
As a fellow CG owner, I would like make a charcoal basket like yours. What is it made out of? What are the dimensions? How long of a burn can you get with it?

Thanks for the info if you can share...

bbqfans
09-12-2009, 06:35 PM
looks good from here too:wink:

landarc
09-12-2009, 06:52 PM
That is a nice looking brisket you got there. Congrats on a successful cook.

nolaman
09-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Oh my gosh, that looks mighty good! You have inspired me to attempt a Brisket on the CG... :-D

Marked it down on my list of things to do...
Hang in Poppa P.......You can do it!!
I'm an old newbie just learning to smoke too! Without all the coughing! Ha! Ha! Now I'm hooked on this stuff too! You came to a good site. The people here are always willing to help and guide you in the right direction. I'ved looked at other forums but, I think this is by far the best. A great bunch of farkers!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Phesant
09-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Great looking meal, congrates....... mmmmmm

nolaman
09-12-2009, 07:28 PM
As a fellow CG owner, I would like make a charcoal basket like yours. What is it made out of? What are the dimensions? How long of a burn can you get with it?

Thanks for the info if you can share...
The basket is made out of 1/8 expanded metal. Outside measurements are 12 1/2''w x 13 1/2"L x 5 1/2'' H. I had to remove the top grill support angles to get it in. I just used them at the bottom to support the basket. I can turn the angles inward with the holes on top, drill them and use bolts to fasten in place. I got about 7 hrs of burn time on it and will keep trying to improve by adding baffels and lighting on one end instead of on top ( another minion method). If you want more information I can send you a pm. with more info and pics.

Papa Payne
09-12-2009, 07:33 PM
The basket is made out of 1/8 expanded metal. Outside measurements are 12 1/2''w x 13 1/2"L x 5 1/2'' H. I had to remove the top grill support angles to get it in. I just used them at the bottom to support the basket. I can turn the angles inward with the holes on top, drill them and use bolts to fasten in place. I got about 7 hrs of burn time on it and will keep trying to improve by adding baffels and lighting on one end instead of on top ( another minion method). If you want more information I can send you a pm. with more info and pics.

7 Hours is awesome!, Please do PM me any and all info that's not top secret!! :-D

Thanks man!!!!

Papa Payne
09-12-2009, 09:01 PM
I kept the bottom intake vent until it was closed completely , and could not get below 230 degrees . (any suggestions ?) _________________
Modified Chargriller Duo

Maybe close up some of those holes in the firebox? I know on my CG, the charcoal/ash tray that slides out doesn't seal real good to the firebox and I was having trouble holding the temps down until I started sealing it off with tin foil...

firecracker jack
09-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Maybe close up some of those holes in the firebox? I know on my CG, the charcoal/ash tray that slides out doesn't seal real good to the firebox and I was having trouble holding the temps down until I started sealing it off with tin foil...

Yea Papa, I've got the same troubles with mine...The slide out ash pan on the firebox don't seal at all, It keeps warping in the center and leaves huge gaps on either end of it...I eventually gave up and built a UDS...I pretty much just use the Chargriller for grillin'...But I've rekindled my interests and plan on reading up on the mods you can do, and tryin' em out....Just to see if I can master all the things I've overlooked....AGHH if I'd only been smart enough...Or better yet...If I'd only found the Brethren website years ago....:lol::lol::lol:

firecrackerjack

nolaman
09-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Yep! Looking back at it you're probably right! Will stick some bolts in the holes. Hey! I thought I was the only one w/ the screwed up fit on the ash drawer... You too? Anyone else? Maybe if enough of us got together screemed loud enough, demanded the QC inspector's head on a plate, or grill!! Better yet boycot em! Maybe they will send us a new firebox! My grill is not bad quality, it dosn't come with a box. That was an extra 69 Bucks!! I am dissapointed with the quality. Any ideas?:idea:

Alan, (coon@$$)

Rookie'48
09-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Yeah, it does leak like a sieve, but foil is your friend! Also bolts & that red silicone.

Holy Fark! I just got to "Babbling Farker" with this post! There's no stopping me now!

Papa Payne
09-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah, it does leak like a sieve, but foil is your friend! Also bolts & that red silicone.

Holy Fark! I just got to "Babbling Farker" with this post! There's no stopping me now!

Congrats on the "Babbling Farker" status. I'm sure it's well deserved and much hard work along with dedication got you where you are today... :-D

Papa Payne
09-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Yep! Looking back at it you're probably right! Will stick some bolts in the holes. Hey! I thought I was the only one w/ the screwed up fit on the ash drawer... You too? Anyone else? Maybe if enough of us got together screemed loud enough, demanded the QC inspector's head on a plate, or grill!! Better yet boycot em! Maybe they will send us a new firebox! My grill is not bad quality, it dosn't come with a box. That was an extra 69 Bucks!! I am dissapointed with the quality. Any ideas?:idea:

Alan, (coon@$$)

Yep, the firebox ash tray was built askew. When brand new, the tray slid in nice and easy, but there was about a 3/8" gap on one side :mad:. I took a hammer and "reshaped" the door on the ash tray to try and get a better seal. It still isn't as good as I would like, so as a stop gap, I'm using tin foil for now. I might take it to the shop, cut it apart trim some metal, then reweld it to get a better seal.

barbefunkoramaque
09-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Welcome. Pay real close attention. You are in the right place to begin to learn about making brisket. Someone will chime in and tell you where you are going wrong. Just be patient.