PDA

View Full Version : Bored at work..But on topic!

zopi
09-12-2009, 04:07 PM
So, I'm in the navy..bored stupid.Cooks are making ribs for lunch. "Whatchoo guys gonna do with those extra racks?""Nuthin, Chief."Hmmm...Scoot over JR...A little chile powder, black pepper, salt and..whaddaya mean no brown sugar?Crraap! ok, a little refined sugar...onions and apples..done in foil, two racks to a pack, cooked in a big convection oven, couple hours at 250, open the packs and finish the tops for a half hour or so...And the chief is all of a sudden popular in the galley..."How'd you make those so good, Chief?"Alright, all of you guys come here and siddown....Next week, hot wings! I love this job!

Rich Parker
09-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Don't you have any drums laying around?

Put them sailors to work building some drum smokers. It is probably some of the best work experience you could give them. :biggrin:

Thanks for serving!

jeffjenkins1
09-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for your service! Nice job by making due with what you got!

Jeff

leanza
09-12-2009, 05:37 PM
How is the food in the Navy?

What is the usual menu?

What's made really well and what's made poorly?

Interested people want to know?

capri man
09-12-2009, 06:10 PM
at least they do not boil them!!:biggrin:

zopi
09-12-2009, 07:24 PM
How is the food in the Navy?

What is the usual menu?

What's made really well and what's made poorly?

Interested people want to know?

SUCKS. Ever seen caddy shack? Low grade dog food. PB&J and cereal. Everything else. No..really, you don't. Nahh..it's not bad everywhere, it just happens to be really bad where I am at right now, I have been on ships where the food was decent, and I am at an all time low right now. I'm almost interested to see how prison food stacks up..but not THAT interested. Sailors gripe..it's what we do..but sometimes there is a reason for it..I am still grazing on these ribs. gonna have them for breakfast too.

zopi
09-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Don't you have any drums laying around?

Put them sailors to work building some drum smokers. It is probably some of the best work experience you could give them. :biggrin:

Thanks for serving!

That has occured to me...I am thinking that may happen before the next deployment...I am scrounging parts for mine now..all I need is..everything.

BBQ Grail
09-12-2009, 07:43 PM
As a Navy brat and the son of a Senior Chief I spent many meals on Destroyers and Cruisers. The food on the ships was always better than the food in the mess halls. Although when my dad was "pushing boots" at NTC San Diego back in the early '70s the food wasn't all that bad.

You should be able to locate a couple drums and show those cooks how to crank out some real ribs.

Thank you, also, for your service.

peaspurple
09-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks for your service, and I agree with all, get a couple of drums and build some smokers..

1_T_Scot
09-12-2009, 08:43 PM
We I was in the navy we were doing stores load (not sure if thats what surface ships call it but on Subamarines it was an all hands operation). The Nuclear lab guys passed down a box of chemicals in the middle of all the boxes of food. It had Skull and Cross bones on it one of the new guys said whats this the response "those are the chemicals they use to take the flavor out of the food".

The food was pretty good for a week or two then everything was canned or frozen and powdered. No underway replenishment.

zopi
09-13-2009, 05:55 AM
We I was in the navy we were doing stores load (not sure if thats what surface ships call it but on Subamarines it was an all hands operation). The Nuclear lab guys passed down a box of chemicals in the middle of all the boxes of food. It had Skull and Cross bones on it one of the new guys said whats this the response "those are the chemicals they use to take the flavor out of the food".

The food was pretty good for a week or two then everything was canned or frozen and powdered. No underway replenishment.

The sub guys eat pretty well..but they still walk on their food...I did a hitch as Sub QA..I was on a stores onlad back in '93..came acrose a box of roasts that had been rejected by the bureau of prisons...Just for the record..it did float. Cook was pissed, but he got over it..

River City Smokehouse
09-13-2009, 08:43 AM
I work as a truck driver for the Missouri Dept. of Corrections and am faced with having to eat with the offenders at times(of course in a staff dining room but still the same food). In Missouri we have 22 institutions, most get all their food from the "Cook/Chill" facilities. Only a couple of camps still prepare their own grub. The food is mass produced like tv dinner style only in bulk bags and nothing has bones in it. The kitchens heat and serve. The food has hardly any salt but still a little taste. They push the carbs to make it go further. I am diabetic type II and one day I ate lunch and within two hours I couldn't keep my eyes open. My blood sugar had risen to 405! I don't eat it anymore and just wait until they release my truck from behind the wire, then I go get something to eat.
IMO, they cook the taste right out of it.

MOS95B
09-13-2009, 08:49 AM
From my experience in the Army, the quality of the foof is based on the NCOIC. Some of them actually wanted to feed the troops. Other just wanted to "cook that **** so we can serve it and go home".

Thanks to being an MP myself, I got to eat at chow halls in all branches. The theme turned out to be universal...

zopi
09-13-2009, 08:50 AM
YUCK! The Navy is probably heading that direction...

thillin
09-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks for your service! Nice job by making due with what you got!

Jeff

Ditto! My brother was on the USS Tripoli in Desert Storm.

Many thanks!

zopi
09-13-2009, 09:24 AM
From my experience in the Army, the quality of the foof is based on the NCOIC. Some of them actually wanted to feed the troops. Other just wanted to "cook that **** so we can serve it and go home".

Thanks to being an MP myself, I got to eat at chow halls in all branches. The theme turned out to be universal...

Hit the nail on the head...

NCO Not In Charge is the basic problem, and a COC that won't fix it..

Oh well, I am doing what I can in guerilla fashion, I slip in when I can get away with it and teach those guys something, and then try to talk them into asking me when they have a question about food prep, but I don't know beans about logistics...in fact I have a lousy attitude towards the bean counters....basically we are out here on the stick so shut up and give us what we need and do it now...doesn't seem to work very well though.

There are a couple of those guys with some talent and desire...one of them showed up with a hot new roll of JA Henckels santokus the other
day....and he has some knife skills...:icon_cool

zopi
09-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Ditto! My brother was on the USS Tripoli in Desert Storm.

Many thanks!

Thanks for that, guys..it is sometimes hard for us to know how to accept it gracefully...but it sure feels good to be appreciated.

big brother smoke
09-13-2009, 09:35 AM
It would be sweet, if someone could hook you up with some parts out that way for your drum.

Thanks for your service!

zopi
09-13-2009, 01:57 PM
It would be sweet, if someone could hook you up with some parts out that way for your drum.

Thanks for your service!

eh..Thanks, but I don't really NEED the UDS...I have one of the old Brinkmann offsets that were made with 1/4" steel before they started having Mattell make them...I am a dumpster diving pack rat, and scrounging the stuff to do it is the better part of the fun...I think I avctually have most of the fittings I need, i'm just looking out for grills and expanded sheet metal..

zopi
09-13-2009, 04:04 PM
K...good start...scrounged meself a pop top drum with a lever lock top for five bucks...

Heh...scrounged a small hahahart trap at the dump for the heck of it...there are a hundred or so BBQ jokes implicit in that one...

am thinking of painting the UDS green...maybe with Oliver tractor logos...so I can have a Big Green Drum...and alot cheaper...then I can sell overpriced drumcessories..I am really in the wrong business.