PDA

View Full Version : WSM capacity ?

baldbill
09-12-2009, 01:01 PM
How many butts on average will the large WSM hold, and how many chickens if I were just doing chickens. I am thinking about getting one and sometimes cook for fairly decent crowds at church, I have a large smoker that was built for cooking large events but I dont want to have to fir the beast up for just 5 or six butts.:mrgreen:

Northwoods Smoke
09-12-2009, 01:24 PM
I would think an 18" would be doable for 5 or 6 if they are standing up against one another. The 22" would be my choice (more room, more capacity). Or get a 20" ProQ with stacker (3 cooking tiers).

You should be able to make it work no matter which way you go...

Saiko
09-12-2009, 01:31 PM
The picture below shows two 8lb bone-in boston butts on the bottom rack of my 18 inch WSM. Like Northwoods said, you could probably squeeze 3 butts on each rack for a total of 6.
You might be better off getting the 22 inch if you don't want to have to squeeze 5-6 in there. I prefer not to have anything touching, as I like plenty of bark.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/mredman62/BBQ10/b02.jpg

bigabyte
09-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Mine can "fit" 6 average sized butts stood up on end, but airflow, cooking time and bark is greatly impacted and it is very difficult to run the cooker this way because it will start of soo cool, and start spiking at various points later on. I do no more than 2 per rack unless they are small butts.

Oh, never mind, you asked about the LARGE WSM. Sorry. I don't know, don't own one. Never mind. My advice was for the 18" WSM.

dollarbill
09-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Ive done 3 per rack no problems on my 22. wsm depending on size you might get 4. As for the chickens probably 4 per rack..I just fit tested 3 10lb turkeys to a rack and they fit. Ill be doing 2 of those tomorrow!