PDA

View Full Version : First smoke, st. Louis vs. baby back

deezdrama
09-12-2009, 09:22 AM
I planned to buy about 3 racks of loin backs but all cubs food has was tiny 1lb baby back ribs for 7-9$. I got one of them and a rack of st. loius cut spare ribs.

Ive read online alot of people prefer st. louis style spares better than baby backs- I doubt that- but for the money you do get alot more meat- so Im hoping to smoke my st. louis cut ribs decent and hope they end up being pretty close to the baby backs- but have never cooked st. Louis style or spare ribs before....

Do I prepare and smoke them the same as the baby backs? I read on another thread about bending and cutting cartilage- what is this about?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also- They didnt even have large rolls of jimmy dean sausage so had to buy two $7 ea. generic sausage rolls for my fatties Im going to cook - hope they turn out ok.

Anyway I plan on removing the membrane from the ribs,cutting trimming fat, mustard/dry rub and let sit in fridge for a couple hours, then smoke them at 220 degrees for 2 hours, spritz them apple juice foil and cook for 2 more hours, remove from foil and add bbq sauce then cook for another hour.

Does this sound right- any suggestions?

Bentley
09-12-2009, 10:53 AM
I would pull the membrain off all racks. The BB's will take about an hour less cooking time.

You should be fine on the fatties!

Captain Dave
09-12-2009, 10:53 AM
I've done them that way and they turnout a little too mushy for my liking. But thats just my opinion, my wife and my sister like them that way. I prefer smoking them about 3hrs until you don't feel the stiffness anymore when you lift then. Then I foil them and let them rest about an hour. sometimes i pop them back on with sauce just long enough to let the sauce caramelize a bit. Be warned I am strictly an amateur backyarder who only wishes he could turn out the kind of Q some of these pros do.

Mitch
09-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Good plan. But I'd plan on 5 hours for the St. Louis cut and 4 for the loin backs. I never foil my ribs. 2 hours in foil seems an awful lot. You're likely to end up with mush. Check after 1 hours in the foil.

deezdrama
09-12-2009, 11:36 AM
thanks for the tips guys- I got the cream cheese pepper jack onion jalepenio fatties rolled and in the freezer now- getting ready to prepare the ribs- I will be back and start a new thread with pron later- thanks

Mitch
09-12-2009, 02:43 PM
thanks for the tips guys- I got the cream cheese pepper jack onion jalepenio fatties rolled and in the freezer now- getting ready to prepare the ribs- I will be back and start a new thread with pron later- thanks

Now that is a fattie worth waiting for. 8)

dollarbill
09-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Id go less than 2 hours foiled too. They'll be mushy type soft/tender. $.02

deezdrama
09-12-2009, 04:02 PM
thanks guys- the ribs are about 3 hours ino it now- with spritz with apple juice and foil for maybee 30-45 minutes then brushon bbq sauce and finish them- the fatty is looking good- the smell is great!