PDA

View Full Version : Tri Tip Suggestions

azsmokin
09-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I am looking to smoke a tri tip in my new pro q smoker. This is the first time for smoking a tri tip, in the past I simply BBQ'd them. I would like to hear how you guys prepare and smoke the meat. Also, what are some good sides to serve with it?

AZ Smokin

C Rocke
09-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Pepper, salt, garlic - About 3 hours at 225, let rest in cooler or Cambro about an hour and slice. We make different sides, and always some pico de gallo to go with.

swamprb
09-11-2009, 10:11 PM
I suppose the Pro Q is like a WSM, so here are some helpful Tri-Tip tips for you.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html

I've been smoking then searing in my recent lazy Tri Tip cooks and I'm liking the nice smoke ring and flavor they get, as opposed to searing then cooking indirect.

Either way, I love 'em! And they even take rubs well and I'm not shy about trying different spices on them. I found some Pappy's Original locally and thought it was good, Bovine Bold, David Klose or Texas BBQ Rubs or anything with a Southwest zing have been hits around the house. If you can get some of Bigmistas Peoples Choice Brisket rub, you'll be set!

Hyper
09-11-2009, 10:47 PM
IMO, Tri Tip is a grillin meat. Lawrys season salt and pepper. Don't over season it as it's a flavorful cut to begin with. Cook it to medium and enjoy!

leanza
09-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Leanza's Bayou rub, brown sugar, 143*. And alot of love sliced real thin.

Meat Burner
09-11-2009, 11:00 PM
We sear direct and move to indirect on the Weber for some great beef. It seems better for hot cook than low and slow. Just an opinion and I am sure some brethren turn out great smoked tri-tlip. We treat it like steak.

landarc
09-12-2009, 12:21 AM
I like slaw, corn, beans, bread with tri-tip. I particularly like frijoles a la charro made with pinquito beans with tri-tip. Then there is roasted corn and I like bbq sauce slaw or no mayo slaw with the tri-tip.

MattG
09-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Paprika, Pepper, Salt, Garlic, put a sear on it and move to the side. I cook it like a steak also. We do not cook it much its hard to find and cost's to much. But it is some GOOD Eats.

big brother smoke
09-12-2009, 11:02 AM
My favorite way is to do what Brian said above. Smoke, then sear wth your favorite rub. Oak/hickory with a spash of cherry is the stuff!

cameraman
09-12-2009, 11:57 AM
How do y'all feel about injecting a marinade. I'm doing one tomorrow. I did the indirect method marinated and rubbed last time. Yum. I'm also considering low and slow for tomorrow. This is my first post here. Great site. I'll try and capture some pron tomorrow.

vermin99
09-12-2009, 05:33 PM
My last tri tip was the best one I have done yet. I marinated the tri tip in Worcestershire and garlic for about 3 hours. Dried the tri tip off and put on some Suzie Q seasoning. Grilled at 350 degrees indirect till it hit 120. Ramped up the temp on the grill and seared both sides for about 3 min and then let it rest for about 15 minutes.

capri man
09-12-2009, 06:12 PM
just wish i could get one down here!!!:roll: