PDA

View Full Version : Is this PlowBoy’s Bovine Bold?

MattG
09-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Has anyone bought any thing from Hawgeyesbbq.com web site? I placed 2 orders last Saturday paid for 3 day shipping got it today. I know that there was a holiday in the mix but still and one of my orders did not come at all. I call the company and they said they called me and sent an e-mail. (Needless to say I didn’t get a call or e-mail) He told me he was out of the Blues Hog That I ordered and would be a week maybe two before he get’s any in. I told him that I ordered this stuff for this weekend and I really needed it for Sat. Well that went know where then I started looking at what I did get PlowBoy’s Bovine Bold and PlowBoy’s Yardbird. The PlowBoy’s Yardbird looked right but when I looked at the PlowBoy’s Bovine Bold it was missing the sticker on front and the back of the bag said Beef Rub. And going by the Lot # (026208)8) if they go by the Julian Date it was made in 2008. I may be wrong and forgive me if I am, but I would like to know if this is the right stuff. I’ve never ordered from Hawgeyesbbq.com before and this is the first time that I have ordered the PlowBoy’s Bovine Bold. But it would seem to me that the sticker would at least read PlowBoy’s Bovine Bold.

PlowBoy’s Yardbird Bag (Front)
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu288/MattG902/BBQchickenRub.jpg

PlowBoy’s Yardbird Bag (Back)
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu288/MattG902/BBQchickenRub001.jpg

PlowBoy’s Bovine Bold? Is this right???
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu288/MattG902/BBQBeefRub.jpg

Am I wrong? Any help. Please.

Coz
09-11-2009, 07:54 PM
From the appearance of the rub I believe that the 3rd pic is Bovine Bold.I have used some and that looks right.

Norcoredneck
09-11-2009, 07:59 PM
I have noticed the Bovine is darker than the Yardbird as in pic. PM Plowboy.

Norcoredneck
09-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Another note I don't think there was a Bovine in 08.

Saiko
09-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I ordered both from our Brother Steve's Great Lakes BBQ supply and mine had the same two labels. I think you're good. Yardbirds is going to have a brighter "red/orange" color.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/mredman62/BBQ9/IMG_0050.jpg

MattG
09-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks Saiko

Sledneck
09-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I order blues hog from the http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/ and never have a problem

Saiko
09-11-2009, 08:26 PM
I order blues hog from the http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/ and never have a problem

Thanks for the tip Sled, just ordered a gallon of blues hog from them, been wanting to try that sauce for a while.

Captain Dave
09-11-2009, 08:50 PM
If you ordered last saturday it should get here today. That is 3 business days.

swamprb
09-11-2009, 09:55 PM
You got the right stuff- I just refilled my shakers for this weekends comp!

I second Sleds rec for the Blues Hog source. And GLBBQS does ship fast!

Bbq Bubba
09-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I ordered both from our Brother Steve's Great Lakes BBQ supply and mine had the same two labels. I think you're good. Yardbirds is going to have a brighter "red/orange" color.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/mredman62/BBQ9/IMG_0050.jpg

In Todd's defense, there was a time when he was shipping out orders as fast as he could and a lot of bags just didn't get labels.
Your good, it's BV and i'm sure it's not that old.

I ship within 3 days almost guaranteed and it's packed with Brethren love. :cool:

chambersuac
09-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Yes, you are good. Next time, order from Great Lakes BBQ Supply and you know you're okay - and you won't have to worry about the bad communications or shipping. Brethren treat people right!

MattG
09-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the help.

Plowboy
09-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Hey, I just saw this. You indeed got what you ordered. Bubba is right that we sometimes get slammed with orders and don't get labels on the bags. My co-packer doesn't put my labels on the bags for me. I'm sorry about the confusion. Hope you are enjoying the product. If you ever have questions, shoot me a PM or an email. The email address is on the Yardbird label.

Oh, and thanks for your business.

Plowboy
09-27-2009, 10:49 PM
One other thing, I get product in "micro batches". Nothing sits in my inventory longer than a month, typically. Freshness is very important. Retailers like Great Lakes BBQ Supply, BBQ Addicts, KC BBQ Store, Hawgeyes, and Spicewine all go through enough product that they are restocking at least monthly. I know may times where GLBBQ ships product to customers that is less than a week old from the plant.

q-this
09-27-2009, 11:40 PM
I could not help but notice that these rubs contain monosodium glutamate.

That's so dang 60's

No wonder y'all think it tastes so good. :-D:-D

NorthwestBBQ
09-27-2009, 11:45 PM
I love Plowboys. Monosodium glutamate is salt. What's the problem?

Saiko
09-28-2009, 08:38 AM
I could not help but notice that these rubs contain monosodium glutamate.

The Food Detectives recently did a show where they had two groups of people, mostly made up of people who claim that they have bad reactions to monosodium glutamate.
They gave one group a placebo, and the other group food with high levels of monosodium glutamate. They had the same amount of supposed bad reactions in both groups. Their conclusion was that it was all in their head.

Bill-Chicago
09-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the tip Sled, just ordered a gallon of blues hog from them, been wanting to try that sauce for a while.

Another tip is to call your dentist now and make an appointment.

That stuff is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

I usually need to cut it down. I'll use SBR on pulled pork, and add 2-3 tablespoons on Blues Hog.

It ALL tastes like Blues Hog after mixing it up

NorthwestBBQ
09-28-2009, 01:09 PM
The Food Detectives recently did a show where they had two groups of people, mostly made up of people who claim that they have bad reactions to monosodium glutamate.
They gave one group a placebo, and the other group food with high levels of monosodium glutamate. They had the same amount of supposed bad reactions in both groups. Their conclusion was that it was all in their head.

I concur. :-D

q-this
09-28-2009, 05:03 PM
I love Plowboys. Monosodium glutamate is salt. What's the problem?

It's like putting your food on steroids.

Once MSG is used on the food the pit master can no longer claim that they are solely responsible for the great flavor.

Using MSG takes a lot away from the skill involved in making great barbecue.

It's use has fallen off sharply in mainstream cooking, today's great chiefs rely on their own skill and expert technique rather then a cheap flavor enhancer.

I thought this was the forum of barbecue purists.
I am shocked to see that some have accepted MSG as part of the gold standard of barbecue excellence.

I am even more shocked to see that the use of MSG is allowed in competition.

NorthwestBBQ
09-28-2009, 05:14 PM

Once MSG is used on the food the pit master can no longer claim that they are solely responsible for the great flavor.

It's use has fallen off sharply in mainstream cooking, today's great chiefs rely on their own skill and expert technique rather then a cheap flavor enhancer.

I am shocked to see that some have accepted MSG as part of the gold standard of barbecue excellence.

Some great misinformation there dude. Have you ever tried Plowboys? :twisted:

Jorge
09-28-2009, 05:22 PM
And who are you to be casting stones?

How about you go to Cattle Call and tell us a bit about yourself. It seems only fair, since you seem to have no problem passing judgment on products and groups at a minimum. If you'd been around long enough, and taken the time to contribute to the forum your assertion would have some weight and credibility. Without either, I'm not sure what to make of your comments.

big brother smoke
09-28-2009, 05:29 PM

Oh boy! Must be something in the water lately:roll:

Meat Burner
09-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Definately agree with Jorge. q-this, let your heart beat a little bit slower there brother. We don't claim to be great chefs here...just good people helping each other improve our skills. Getting shocked that much can't be good for ya there...take it easy!

Bbq Bubba
09-28-2009, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=q-this;1039215]It's like putting your food on steroids.

QUOTE]

Really???

I had a long rebuttle to this but deleted it for the sake of flaming your azz.

As my teen daughter would say....

Whatever. :roll:

Plowboy
09-28-2009, 08:02 PM

We're too busy worrying about parsley to think about MSG.

Meat Burner
09-28-2009, 08:14 PM
We're too busy worrying about parsley to think about MSG.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Did our super chef log off without a response?

NorthwestBBQ
09-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Yes, after he stared at the thread for hours! :-P

q-this
09-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Still here, just busy with other things...
Be back soon. :-D

White Dog BBQ
09-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Not to hijack the thread -- but sometimes I find Plowboy rubs on the KC BBQ Store website, and lately it's not on there. Are they still carrying it for mail order?

Plowboy
09-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Not to hijack the thread -- but sometimes I find Plowboy rubs on the KC BBQ Store website, and lately it's not on there. Are they still carrying it for mail order?

They just got 100lbs last Monday. They are fully stocked. I'll check with Dan to see what's up.

NorthwestBBQ
09-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Todd,

Just say no to the MSG myth! I love your product! :icon_cool

White Dog BBQ
09-28-2009, 09:25 PM
They just got 100lbs last Monday. They are fully stocked. I'll check with Dan to see what's up.

Yeah, just did a search tonight, didn't find anything for Plowboy or Bovine. I've had great service from them in the past, so I hope they get it back on the site, they're my preferred vendor.

P.S. I love your product!

q-this
09-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Here I hope, is the simplest way to distinguish the difference between MSG and an ordinary spice.

A spice acts on the food it is intended to flavor and in a few cases on the tongue as well.

MSG acts only on the tongue of the eater of the food.

Food that tastes good as a result of the addition of MSG is not because of the cook.
It is because MSG, from the moment it hits the tongue, triggers a neurological response that tells your brain "this food tastes good".

Personally I do not need an added substance to tell me what does and does not taste good.
I much prefer to do this on my own.

This for me, is not a debate about the relative healthiness or unhealthiness of MSG. That's up to each individual to ascertain for themselves.

For me this is about true taste, it's about quality, it's about skill and technique and above all it's about the purity of the final product.
MSG takes away from all of the above.

Time for a barbecue Reinheitsgebot. :-D

NorthwestBBQ
09-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Here I hope, is the simplest way to distinguish the difference between MSG and an ordinary spice.

A spice acts on the food it is intended to flavor and in a few cases on the tongue as well.

MSG acts only on the tongue of the eater of the food.

Food that taste good as a result of the addition of MSG is not because of the cook.
It is because MSG, from the moment it hits the tongue, triggers a neurological response that tells your brain "this food tastes good".

Personally I do not need an added substance to tell me what does and does not taste good.
I much prefer to do this on my own.

This for me, is not a debate about the relative healthiness or unhealthiness of MSG. That's up to each individual to ascertain for themselves.

For me this is about true taste, it's about quality, it's about skill and technique and above all it's about the purity of the final product.
MSG takes away from all of the above.

Time for a barbecue Reinheitsgebot. :-D

(Flame suit on. Light them up but don't cross the streams bros.)

WTF are you talking about?

Please describe your competition BBQ experience and post pics. Also please post a link to where you are copying and pasting your opinions from...:twisted:

q-this
09-28-2009, 10:53 PM
WTF are you talking about?

Re-read the post, if there is still something you do not understand please be specific about what it is and I will do my best to explain it better.

Ron_L
09-28-2009, 10:59 PM
OK... This is not a thread about the pros and cons of MSG. If you want to continue that discussion start a new thread.

q-this
09-28-2009, 11:11 PM
OK... This is not a thread about the pros and cons of MSG. If you want to continue that discussion start a new thread.

OK you da boss! :-D

BLT
07-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Is there any chance I can get my hands on some bovine by this Sunday? Its grandmas 87th birthday and I really want to make something special for her. I am in southern California and was hoping it might be available locally. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

devious
07-22-2011, 10:36 AM
do you have a Bass Pro Shop close by you? they stock both

Plowboy
07-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Is there any chance I can get my hands on some bovine by this Sunday? Its grandmas 87th birthday and I really want to make something special for her. I am in southern California and was hoping it might be available locally. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

What is your address? We are in about 450 stores now with many in California.

OakPit
07-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Our shop is in Livermore (SF NorCal) and if we had more notice, would certainly ship as we carry all Plowboy rubs. Check with Pellet Grill Outlet & Step at Simply Marvelous. They are both in SoCal.

Plowboy
07-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Bass Pro Shops
7777 Victoria Gardens Lane
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739
Phone: 909-922-5500

I'll see if we have something closer to you.

Plowboy
07-22-2011, 11:12 AM
How close is Steph from RSM?

Ryan Chester
07-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Looks like he is in Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County) which is about 2ish hours south of Steph.

Plowboy
07-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Looks like he is in Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County) which is about 2ish hours south of Steph.

Thanks. I see Steph is in Ventura. Bass Pro would be half that distance or less. But I'd check with Steph (Big Brother Smoke) first to see if he may be able to work something out.

Good luck!!

Plowboy
07-22-2011, 11:21 AM
There's also The Cheese Store of Silver Lake in West Hollywood area.

3926 W SUNSET BLVD
(323) 644-7511

HB-BBQ
07-22-2011, 03:02 PM
If you strike out I believe i have at least a half full shaker that i'd give you if want to take a road trip. Let me know and I'll check tonight after I get home from work.

big brother smoke
07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Yea, hit me in the future before 8am for next day delivery. Mail man comes here by 9a most mornings.

BLT
07-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the fast response gentlemen. This was my first post and I am truly amazed by the support by fellow brethren. My wife and I just had our first child three weeks ago and our second child ( new WSM) last week, so driving any distance is out of the question. Thanks anyways!

Ron_L
07-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the fast response gentlemen. This was my first post and I am truly amazed by the support by fellow brethren. My wife and I just had our first child three weeks ago and our second child ( new WSM) last week, so driving any distance is out of the question. Thanks anyways!

That's how we roll :-D

Congrats on the new baby and the WSM! If you haven't visited Cattle Call to introduce yourself, please do!