PDA

View Full Version : Angus brisket VS. cryopacked.

NCGrimbo
09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
At my local farmer's market, there's a farmer that is selling locally raised Angus beef. I bought some and I can tell a difference between the Angus and what I get at my local grocery store. The Angus is more tender and flavorful. While I was talking to the farmer, the topic of brisket came up. I can get one from him, but he can't garuntee the size, but he said it would be in the range of 9 to 13 lbs. And, I would have to order it 2 weeks ahead of time. I didn't get a chance to ask about grade, but I'm assuming it's a choice cut and if I get lucky, it might be a prime cut.

Now, assuming that I can get a brisket from my local grocery store or Sam's club that is the same grade, is it worth the extra money to get the Angus?

Skip
09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
If you can afford it it can't hurt to try. I haven't been able to find more then 3 CAB briskets all year that I was happy with. Been buying "good feel" choice. I am buying for flat thickness though due to comps. The taste difference is probably due to the feed. It may just be that its local.
Years ago a nutritionist told me that people thrive on local foods. Animals and plants that live and thrive in the same environment. Its part of the homeopathic teaching. It may just be a familiarity. You and that animal live in the same climate, breathe the same relative air, are exposed to the same pollens and drink the same water. When we do comps I try to buy local honey and other ingredients so there is a familiarity to the local people (judges).

As many here will say....its not the meat its the cook.

bigabyte
09-11-2009, 11:10 AM
It's worth it. Maybe not every time you cook brisket, but you won't regret the money you spent for the experience.

chambersuac
09-11-2009, 11:29 AM
You bet it's worth it. We have a guy not too far from here that sells locally grown and processed beef and other meats. Angus brisket that is grade prime at just a little over what the grocery stores sell their cryopacks for (which, around here is high anyway, but...) We can always tell a difference.

Bushwacker
09-11-2009, 11:30 AM
I also would go with the fresh from the Farmer Brisket. It would be nice if you were able to experiment and get both and cook them at the same time, using the exact same rubs and so forth to actually see and taste the difference ... and then let us all know the results and some Pron would be great too.....

barbefunkoramaque
09-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I'd look for the icon for rolling eyes but.... "rolling eyes"

Tweedle
09-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Now, I may just be biased because I run a smalll farm, but I always buy local when I can. Since you have tryed it already and like it better (another plus) it most likly will be good. but supporting your local farmers is alot better than supporting a major food company. ok enought out of me.

Buy Local
Eat Better

Mustang Sally
09-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I, too, would give it a try. I agree with Bushwacker - if you can do a comparison cook side by side you'll know for sure. When you pick up the local brisket ask what the kill date was. That way you'll have an idea of how fresh it actually is - and get an idea of what aging is worth.

Bill-Chicago
09-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Isn't "Angus" a synonym for "Llama" in North Carolina?

NCGrimbo
09-11-2009, 10:02 PM
I'd look for the icon for rolling eyes but.... "rolling eyes"
Don't be so lazy. Google it.
And try to add something useful to a thread once in a while. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Rolling_eyes.GIF

Isn't "Angus" a synonym for "Llama" in North Carolina?
Nope. llama = goat around here.

Meat Burner
09-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Don't be so lazy. Google it.
And try to add something useful to a thread once in a while. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Rolling_eyes.GIF

Nope. llama = goat around here.
ouch!

NorthwestBBQ
09-12-2009, 12:11 AM
I have a big problem spelling Guarantee too...:razz:

big range bbq
09-12-2009, 12:49 AM
This is why I love the Brethren, we buy our meat from smart and final or a local farmer. The farmer is $3.80 per lb and smart and final is $1.69 per lb. I have had very few from smart and final that i was happy with and most of the time they are out when I go to get them. The local beef cooks great and is so damn good ( select or prime always). But that difference in price is a killer. All day today we have been talking about if its worth it and talking to the farmer to see about getting a better price , she wont budge yet.

NCGrimbo
09-12-2009, 12:19 PM
This is why I love the Brethren, we buy our meat from smart and final or a local farmer. The farmer is $3.80 per lb and smart and final is $1.69 per lb. I have had very few from smart and final that i was happy with and most of the time they are out when I go to get them. The local beef cooks great and is so damn good ( select or prime always). But that difference in price is a killer. All day today we have been talking about if its worth it and talking to the farmer to see about getting a better price , she wont budge yet.

I try to buy most of the meats I smoke from local farms. But I'm lucky that there's a very large farmer's market 30 minutes from my house and a pig farm that's about 40 minutes in the other direction. Nothing beats fresh vegies to go next to that smoked meal.

NCGrimbo
09-12-2009, 12:21 PM
I have a big problem spelling Guarantee too...:razz:
Heck, I have troubles spelling my own name sometimes. What chance do I have spelling Guarentee?

1_T_Scot
09-12-2009, 10:10 PM
I would try it. I bought one from a local butcher shop and think that it was ok but not any better than the ones I get at Wallys or Sams. There is another butcher about 10 miles from me the other way that I am going to try sometime.