PDA

View Full Version : Sysco Worth it?

rabeb25
09-11-2009, 07:48 AM
So I have the ability to set up a Sysco account.. Its free and all (with a business license), but they want to meet with me first to set it up...Is it worth it to have an account with them?? It seems like its too good to be true.. Plus there is a will-call location about 20 minutes from me.

Edit: I am already a sams club/costco/restaurant depot member.

Thanks

Bryan

Texas Turtle
09-11-2009, 07:56 AM
My church men's group gets pretty much all our meat (and a lot of the ancillary stuff) through Sysco for our fundraiser brisket, chicken, and burger sales. We have a guy who works there who is a member, so we don't have an account, but their products have always seemed to be very good in quality and value. Don't know how much the guy who works there has to do with that. Just sayin'...

Northwoods Smoke
09-11-2009, 08:17 AM
My experience with Sysco was poor. First, my rep only wanted to deal with higher volume customers (which I am not). Secondly, their pricing isn't great unless you price in the convenience of delivery. We have a neighbor who has a small pizza sub shop and swears by Sysco (because he is lazy). Thirdly: Back to the rep thing, they want to stop by and bother you on a regular basis to promote their products and waste your time. My solution: I drive in to Restaurant Depot and get as good or better quality stuff at 20-30% cheaper pricing (depending on product). We have turned a lot of small businesses on to RD (it is surprising how many business owners have never heard of it) and as a result they are nixing Sysco in place of RD supplies. Typically, we get calls from them after they make their first trip to RD, thanking us for saving them so much money (It has ranged from $250 to $550 per week).

rabeb25
09-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Yea, I told my rep straight away I do this on the side, and will not be buying in any sort of volume. He seemed pretty "cool" with that and actually told me about a place literally 2 miles from me that I never knew existed, that was a meat wholesaler. I asked him to bring pricing, and I told him I really only care about the BBQ side of things..He seemed pretty decent..HE wants to come to my house to meet me today.

swamprb
09-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Do they sell Life Insurance too?

Northwoods Smoke
09-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Sure wouldn't hurt to meet with the guy. I just wouldn't get too excited until you see some very competitive pricing... Good luck!

early mornin' smokin'
09-11-2009, 08:29 AM
im a restaurant depot guy, after being in the pizza business for a number of years ive had to deal with my share of sysco, landmark, and a bunch of food purveyors, the reps are always annoying, constantly want to tell you about the newest fork or plate, or a 1cent sale somewhere.
Restaurant depot has always been consistent in quality and value.

Crüe-B-Cüe
09-11-2009, 09:13 AM
My folk's restaurant uses Sysco. The rep they have is awesome. He knows the restaurant business inside and out. Without him, I doubt they would have made it past the first year. He is constantly getting them deals on different item to use as the daily lunch specials. Now granted they are buying about $5,000 a week in food and supplies. I don't know how beneficial they would be on a small basis. As soon as I clear out some freezer space, I was thinking about getting them to get me a case or two of CAB briskets. I just can't get any decent ones here. All we have here is Sam's.

Bigmista
09-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Not worth it for me. It was rare when they beat RD on pricing and the had an 11 case minimum. And they didn't have all of the products I use so I had to go to RD anyway. Kinda like what's the point?

Bbq Bubba
09-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Unless your buying LARGE volume, don't waste your time.

blues_n_cues
09-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Unless your buying LARGE volume, don't waste your time.
you're better off w/ gfs(gordon food service)or rest. depot & sam's club or costco.
plus,sysco will only deliver to a business address i.e. a storefront.