PDA

View Full Version : Brisket help?

wingnut
09-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I was wondering if you could help me here. I have two 15lbs packer briskets I need to smoke on my UDS and have ready tomorrow at 2pm.

By "ready" I mean ready to put in a cooler to take them 30 miles up the highway to a work party. I can do the slicing at the party.

What time do I need to start tonight to hit that 2pm target?

:confused:

Meat Burner
09-10-2009, 09:13 PM
NOW if you are doing low and slow around 225-250 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, get with it brother. They can be in the cooler with newspaper for several hours so if they are done early that is just fine.

4TheLoveofBrisket
09-10-2009, 09:14 PM
What temperature do you plan to cook them at? Need to know this before we can speculate. :-D

4TheLoveofBrisket
09-10-2009, 09:18 PM
NOW if you are doing low and slow around 225-250 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, get with it brother. They can be in the cooler with newspaper for several hours so if they are done early that is just fine.

I agree with Meat burner. AT THE LEAST, figure at least an hour per pound. But this all depends on what temp you plan on cooking it at. If you're going the hot and fast method, then disregard my timing. Never done hot and fast intentionally, so I can't really give you an idea.

wingnut
09-10-2009, 09:29 PM
OK, I better hustle.

Planning on 235-245 or wherever she holds.

I'm one timezone behind you guys, but yeah, quick math on 1hr per pound says start at 11:00pm tonight, and it's 8:30 pm my time now, but yeah I better hustle I guess in case temps fall or they stall out or it takes more time or Murphy shows up.

Thanks guys, gotta go build a fire and rub the cow...

Ron_L
09-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Get them on as soon as you possibly can. If they are done early you can hold them in a dry cooler wrapped in old towels or clean newspaper. The rest actually does them some good by letting the juices redistribute.

4TheLoveofBrisket
09-10-2009, 09:37 PM
OK, I better hustle.

Planning on 235-245 or wherever she holds.

I'm one timezone behind you guys, but yeah, quick math on 1hr per pound says start at 11:00pm tonight, and it's 8:30 pm my time now, but yeah I better hustle I guess in case temps fall or they stall out or it takes more time or Murphy shows up.

Thanks guys, gotta go build a fire and rub the cow...

Like I said, at the VERY, very, least, figure an hour per pound. That's my personal rule. Better to have it done a little early and foil and rest it in a cooler than not to have it done on time. Keep checking in here as others with more experience than I will chime in I'm sure.

wingnut
09-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Like I said, at the VERY, very, least, figure an hour per pound.

OK, gotcha.

Keep checking in here as others with more experience than I will chime in I'm sure.

Alright. Will do. Thanks brethren.

Meat Burner
09-10-2009, 10:11 PM
wingnut, got em on yet?

4TheLoveofBrisket
09-10-2009, 10:17 PM
OK, gotcha.

Alright. Will do. Thanks brethren.

For the adivce, the going rate around here is to see pics of your cook BTW.. :biggrin: Good luck. Hope it turns out deliciously well for you and the coworkers!!! :-D If you need help, post your question(s) on here throughout the cook, even late tonight. Oh, and introduce yourself in Cattle Call if you haven't already.

wingnut
09-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Yes, and drum is at 252 - a little high - but I'll take it.

BBQ Grail
09-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Don't forget the pictures...

Meat Burner
09-10-2009, 10:26 PM
wingnut, where are you measuring the temp?

wingnut
09-10-2009, 10:47 PM
wingnut, where are you measuring the temp?

I have a 2-probe Maverick, so the smoker temp probe is attached to the lower grate, and the meat probe is currently in the upper brisket.

wingnut
09-10-2009, 10:55 PM
OK, play-by-play images not too exciting right now ;-)

http://www.threadyourself.com/bfcpt1.png

Meat Burner
09-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Sounds like you are golden. The drum side temp can be 25 - 35 degrees lower that the actural grate temp. That is why I was asking.

4TheLoveofBrisket
09-10-2009, 11:16 PM
OK, play-by-play images not too exciting right now ;-)

http://www.threadyourself.com/bfcpt1.png

UDS (ugly drum smoker), you naughty, NAUGHTY girl.. Show us your goodies.. :lol: This is what we call *Pron*. Re-arrange the o and the n and you'll see what I'm talking about. Keep the pics coming.. :mrgreen:

wingnut
09-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I appreciate you asking. I have battled that a lot myself. In fact, that's why I upgraded. I just got this Maverick a week ago. This is my 2nd smoke with it and I have noticed a big difference between what that little temp gauge in the side says, and what the new Mav says.

Holding at 233 right now.

Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you updated and hit you with questions if I have any. You guys rock.

Meat Burner
09-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Stay after it bro. Looks like you have it under control. I am heading for the sac so will look at your posts later. It will be great so keep us posted.

indianagriller
09-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Are you doing burnt ends? I dont think you would have time to do them, but you should cut the point off and save them for yourself... When i do brisket i serve the flat to the guests and then overindulge with the burnt ends.

wingnut
09-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Are you doing burnt ends? I dont think you would have time to do them, but you should cut the point off and save them for yourself... When i do brisket i serve the flat to the guests and then overindulge with the burnt ends.

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. We're taking a couple drums to the shin-dig (to re-heat anything if needed, and to finish the ribs, and to show off) so maybe I'll throw the points back on and if the party runs long enough people can have some. Otherwise they're all mine! My precious! :icon_bigsmil

wingnut
09-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Crud! Just looked at temps as I'm getting ready to hit the sack and the drum has spiked way high! It's at 282º right now!!!!

Stupid wind! :mad:

Figures, it holds temps great until suddenly now that my reputation is on the line with my coworkers, the temps go out of control.

I closed the intakes all the way to bring it back down. Hope it doesn't jack things up for me. Once it finally comes back down I'll try and build a wind block around whichever intake I open. Think it will turn out ok? Any other countermeasures I can do?

So much for sleeping tonight....

Bushwacker
09-11-2009, 01:13 AM
No sack time for the wicked. Time to exchange the cold brew for some hott Java, looks like it's gonna be a long night..now this is where an old fashioned Alarm clock comes in handy. You get to nap in a lounge chair next to your smoker, and check the UDS when the alarm goes off. then reset it and nap some more,, Good Luck........Mario

wingnut
09-11-2009, 02:55 AM
I think I've got it back under control now. It took clamping the lid down super tight and making a plywood wind dam, but I did it. It's currently in the lower 200's, but at least it's not piping hot anymore. I re-set the alarm thresholds on the thermometer and I think I may actually be able to get some sleep now.
(crosses fingers)

wingnut
09-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Ah, the joys of a good UDS vs. Wind battle for brisket finally won: My temp gauge and my clock both read "235"!!!

g'nite, all - and thanks for the help.

Norcoredneck
09-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Remember....
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/norcoredneck/BDS/warninglabel_norco.jpg

Ron_L
09-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Good morning, Wingnut! How's your brisket doing?

BBQ Bandit
09-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Yes... we're waiting... how did that bad boy turn out? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

wingnut
09-11-2009, 10:10 AM
I've still been battling temp swings, but not as bad as last night...errrr..earlier this morning.

The lower-rack brisket is 161
Upper-rack brisket is at 132
Smoker is 252

Hopefully it will all work out...