PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced ribs

AR Pork Producer
09-10-2009, 06:28 PM
I picked up a couple racks of ribs yesterday to smoke this weekend. I had to get flavor enhanced ones, it was all they had. I have read on here where they aren't as good as "fresh" and can taste kinda hammy. Is there anything that I can do to make these turn out decent? Any tips or secrets? Thanks for any information.

AR Pork Producer

BBQ Grail
09-10-2009, 06:33 PM
I think I read somewhere about soaking them in cold water for a couple of hours. But I can't sweat this is true...

Northwoods Smoke
09-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Drive to the closest place that sells unadulterated meat. Even if it is a PITA, this is the only real solution. You will taste the difference and it is worth the extra effort.

Bbq Bubba
09-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Sorry but you have truly wasted your money. you can cook those things for 10 hrs and they wont get tender. Try the soaking thing and good luck.

Bushwacker
09-10-2009, 08:29 PM
I am gonna say something that is considered Blasphemy on this site, and I swear I would never do such a thing, that it shames me to even suggest it. But I read on another site in a thread that said you can parboil them to help rid the meat of the flavoring. Ducking down low behind BBQ Grail, hoping that I won't get the boot here..

Northwoods Smoke
09-10-2009, 08:32 PM
you can parboil them to help rid the meat of the flavoring.

Boiling meat sure does get rid of the flavor... in a really crappy way I think you may have something there! :eek: The upside is that you can have some really tasteless ribs!? I think this is an upside, isn't it?

Munkee's Pit
09-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Just send them to me. I consistantly place in the top five using 'Enhanced' ribs. It is not that big of deal.

Meat Burner
09-10-2009, 08:41 PM
I am gonna say something that is considered Blasphemy on this site, and I swear I would never do such a thing, that it shames me to even suggest it. But I read on another site in a thread that said you can parboil them to help rid the meat of the flavoring. Ducking down low behind BBQ Grail, hoping that I won't get the boot here..

YOU GOTTA BE FARKING KIDDING TO EVEN SUGGEST THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:: eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:: eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

BBQ Grail
09-10-2009, 08:43 PM

Penalty Box...I call Penalty Box.

BBQ Grail
09-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Just send them to me. I consistantly place in the top five using 'Enhanced' ribs. It is not that big of deal.

Maybe if you used unenhanced you'd finish Top 3 or better yet #1. :twisted:

4TheLoveofBrisket
09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
I think I read somewhere about soaking them in cold water for a couple of hours. But I can't sweat this is true...

Scientifically speaking, spot on. Perhaps soak them overnight. Much like brining meat, osmosis will take place, and the salt infused in the meat will change places and the water will take it's place. Not 100% sure if it will affect the texture of the meat, but it should reduce the sodium content greatly. Maybe use distilled or spring water to keep the chemicals of the tap water out? Just a suggestion. I've never tried it.

However, in my area, they only use a + - 10% sodium solution, so I don't think that would really effect the meat that much. However, the whole idea of this meat being infused with a sodium solution is to help it retain moisture and "enhance" flavor. So, essentially, the meat has been brined.

I've cooked meat like this before, and never had a problem cooking it straight out of the package.

BBQ Bandit
09-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Would be the same technique if a brisket was getting a fresh water soak/rinse (24 hours) after a corning brine.... [corned beef].

landarc
09-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Well, I have brined ribs (read ham ribs) and they were not good. The enhanced ribs from one company might be different, even better, than from another. My personal experience is that enhanced ribs do not work well. Soaking should make them better, but, brining does change the meat. Just like corning does, if you smoke a corned beef, you do not end up with a smoked brisket, you end up with pastrami, a totally difference taste and texture. Still, you gotta work with what you could get.

AR Pork Producer
09-12-2009, 05:15 AM
Thanks guys. The ribs are on. Sorry, no pictures. I'm on dial up and it takes a really long time to load, and I have to be at work in 15 minutes. I seasoned very lighty due to enhancement,will let sauce at end give them some flavor. I won't make the mistake of getting these type ribs again.

Redwingsfn31
09-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Ok, when everyone says enhanced, do they mean the ribs that say "injected with up to a 10% solution"?

4TheLoveofBrisket
09-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Ok, when everyone says enhanced, do they mean the ribs that say "injected with up to a 10% solution"?

I can't speak for all geographical regions, but that's what I get up here in the MI state from the grocery store. These are the ones that are cryo vac'd. Did 5 racks a couple weeks ago, and they turned out quite well. I'd rather they fresh and untouched, but for 1.29 a lb, I can't turn them down.

Redwingsfn31
09-12-2009, 07:15 AM
I never see anyrhing that says enhanced on the label. But 4thelove u are right, the price cant be beat, especially due to the lack of butcher shops in my area.

Northwoods Smoke
09-12-2009, 08:13 AM

Correct. It is usually in as small a print is as legally possible, because they aren't proud of it. If you are seeing nothing like that on the package, then you are ok, but they do make it hard to see or find unless you are really paying attention (on purpose).

If enhanced meat is all you have access to, then so be it. But, if you are able to drive a half hour or more to get some unadulterated meat, it is worth the effort. Do your own side by side and convince yourself...

MountainMan
09-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Poor me :evil:
All the pork products at our local market and "ChinaMart" are enhanced.

AR Pork Producer
09-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Well, it's over. Since I had never cooked enhanced meat I came here looking for information, and had several replies. Now that I have experienced cooking it I'd like to add my 2 cents. Were they good? You betcha! Were they excellent? No, but I would have rated them 7.5-8.0 out of 10. One post replied that I could cook them 10hrs and they would never get tender. I guess I got lucky cause these were fall off bone tender at 6hrs. The only thing that I noticed was the meat didn't pull back from the end of the bone like fresh meat does and it almost caused me to overcook them. The ony complaint that I had was that there weren't enough of them. They went down like a one egg pudding. I was almost afraid to cook these(for a family reunion) as some guys made them sound like a two headed monster that would rear it's ugly head and bite my butt. Would I cook them again? Not if I had fresh pork availiable. But, If they were all that I could get I would cook them and enjoy them especially if they turned out like yesterdays. I'm a newbie here but have q'd for years so you'll have to take this for what's it's worth. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

daedalus
09-13-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm on dial up...

People still use dial up!:eek::wink:
Anyway, This one time I tried to brine ribs and they came out too salty to eat. I soaked them in beer overnight and it really removed that salty flavor They were actually better as leftovers! The beer added a great depth of flavor. I figure since brining is similar to the "enhancement" process, it might work on them before their cooked too.

AR Pork Producer
09-13-2009, 08:02 AM
The dial up is kinda like the enhanched ribs. It's all that I have.I live in the country. They keep saying that we'll get DSL one of these days but by the time I get it it will be slow compared to the newest technology. Our cell phone reception recently got good enough to use for internet, I may have to try that. I knew the ribs would be salty so that is why I just lightly seasoned them.

Rich Parker
09-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Well, it's over. Since I had never cooked enhanced meat I came here looking for information, and had several replies. Now that I have experienced cooking it I'd like to add my 2 cents. Were they good? You betcha! Were they excellent? No, but I would have rated them 7.5-8.0 out of 10. One post replied that I could cook them 10hrs and they would never get tender. I guess I got lucky cause these were fall off bone tender at 6hrs. The only thing that I noticed was the meat didn't pull back from the end of the bone like fresh meat does and it almost caused me to overcook them. The ony complaint that I had was that there weren't enough of them. They went down like a one egg pudding. I was almost afraid to cook these(for a family reunion) as some guys made them sound like a two headed monster that would rear it's ugly head and bite my butt. Would I cook them again? Not if I had fresh pork availiable. But, If they were all that I could get I would cook them and enjoy them especially if they turned out like yesterdays. I'm a newbie here but have q'd for years so you'll have to take this for what's it's worth. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Glad everything turned out good for you!

They don't have DSL in your neighborhood? Resize your pics with an application like paint.net and then even dial up won't have a problem uploading them.

River City Smokehouse
09-13-2009, 08:17 AM
The ribs are already ruined when they were enhanced to begin with, so I can't see where parboiling them will hurt them:eek:. If we go any further in this conversation we will have to move this thread to the "Woodpile".:biggrin:

1fastf7
09-13-2009, 09:09 AM
glad they turned out good for you,,i never had enhanced ribs,but i read somewhere about soaking overnight in fresh water & diced potatoes to draw out some of the salt..i never buy meat at wally world for this reason,,i guess bad meat & ugly women just look better if there enhanced?

SirPorkaLot
09-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Parboil them, then apply liquid smoke. Stick on a hot skillet to brown them and seal the juices in. Then stick in the oven at 300 for 3 hours.

mmmm

Meat Burner
09-13-2009, 10:59 AM
AR Pork, a year or two ago I somehow ended up with enhanced ribs. I was thinking it was Larry, BBQ Grail, that chimed in on the post and suggested soaking for a couple hours in cold water and changing it every 30 minutes. It certainly made them better in my opinion. Have paid closer attention to the fine print since then. Around here, a lot of the cryo vac ribs specifically state, "All Natural" so that helps. Glad it worked out okay for you.

Hugh Jorgan
09-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Glad you were satisfied with your enhanced ribs. I would like to second what you said about the bones. I have noticed that they do not pull back in the same manner as well. When I know they are enhanced ribs, I watch them more carefully. When they start to pull back at all, I start checking for doneness. The ones I have done seem to wait until the very last minute for the meat to pull back. If I let them pull back as much as I do with natural ribs, they get overdone. I usually use a little salt on my ribs, but I leave it off the enhanced ones. The butts never get salt.

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-13-2009, 11:55 AM
my x wife was enhanced. :roll:

Northwoods Smoke
09-13-2009, 11:59 AM
my x wife was enhanced. :roll:

Rib enhancement, not ok. Slightly above the ribs, ok!

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Rib enhancement, not ok. Slightly above the ribs, ok!

:biggrin:
up to 12% saline solution