PDA

View Full Version : Gas Grill Q's

mjs408
09-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I Know this is like asking about Rice Burner's on a Muscle Car forum, but my wife doesn't really like messing with coal' grills and doesn't care to learn. I'm in the market for a new gas grill and was wondering what you all have/think. What should I get. ANY input would be great.

Thanks

Smokey Al Gold
09-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Anything Weber. If you'll only be doing small stuff I have a Weber Q 100 and it is a great gas grill. If you need something bigger the Weber Q 300's are great also. If you have the money you can get the Weber Genesis series. Good luck and convince her charcoal is the way!

Bushwacker
09-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Hey Mjs, I'll agree to what Smokey Said..If your looking for something bigger, I have a "Charm-Glo" 3 inside burners and the side burner, Mostly stainless. had it for 4 years now, and still works like a charm...got it at lowes..it was $489. got it on end of summer clearance for $369. Also check on CL, if your not in a hurry. you might find a deal...

DeoreDX
09-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I have a Chargriller Duo and bought the optional side fire box.

3 burner gas grill
Charcoal grill
Smoker
The smoke box can be used as a small charcoal grill (use it all the time when cooking for just the wife and I to minimize charcoal needed)

Not my picture but I did steal it off the internet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/mabby/IMG_2746a.jpg

82muchhomework
09-10-2009, 04:10 PM
I understand the convenience of gassers and love mine. We use it almost everyday... veggies, steaks, fish, chicken breasts, appetizers. It helps to add some wood chunks in a smoker box for a bit of flavor.

I bought a Weber Genesis EP-310 (the "P" includes stainless cooking grids and stainless flavorizer bars). Doing some research, I found a coupon code for Rainbow Appliance (http://www.rainbowappliance.com/EP310-Genesis.html). After shipping, I paid $100 less than I would have for the standard model with porcelain grates from HD or lowes.

Its a great grill! It's very efficient and holds temp forever. It puts out even heat and I find it hard to burn something on it. I don't know why but even when I forget to check to the food, it comes out great!

Almost any brand of grill you buy, other than weber, will only last a few years. A weber will last 10 or more. If you pay $300 for a grill, you will likely need to replace it in 4 years or so. If you buy a quality weber, you get to enjoy a nice grill for much longer. In the end you will probably save money buying the weber after adding up replacement parts or replacing a grill every few years.

+1 for checking CL. You can get weber gassers for great deals on there too, especially now since people are moving more and its the end of summer.

Northwoods Smoke
09-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Someone has to do it, so I will play devil's advocate:

First: If you will be doing the grilling, she doesn't have to learn how to use charcoal.

Second: You should control your grilling destiny. You would never tell her what shoes she can or cannot buy.

Third: If she does have that much influence over your activities, get a Duo so that she can use the gas side and you can use the charcoal side.

Fourth: Charcoal rules and gassers drool. As you get better you will find that you use gas for convenience mostly or only, but hardly ever for maximum flavor. (Of course this is debatable, but not very).

Fifth: Good luck on your journey in grilling and Que. You've found a great forum filled with knowledgeable folks that will give you much to think about.

Grillman
09-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I worked for Home Depot for 6 years...and built nearly every grill they sell.
Webber Grills are solid, durable, quality grills. They will last you a very
long time if you take care of them.
What's wrong with Webber Grills?
They are expensive...(because they are very good quality)
The burners are Front to Back...instead of Left to Right. This helps eliminate
cold areas....but; it makes it hard to cook by indirect heat.
Webbers are smaller and it's hard to fit a rack of Spare Ribs on them;
let alone two racks...unless you use a "Rib Rack" of some type.

"Char-Broil" brand grills are good quality as well....but; not quite as good of
quality as Webber. If you take care of the Char-Broil grill; it will last a long
time though.
IF it doesn't come with a cover..BUY one; to keep Snow and Rain off it
when it isn't in use...that will greatly prolong it's life.
Get one with at least 3 burners...this will give you greater temperature
control and; allow you to just use 1 burner if you want to cook by
"indirect heat"... no matter what you are cooking.

The Patent ran out on the "Infrared Grills" technology a year or so ago.
So everybody can make Infrafred grills now. I don't know much about
them as they are fairly new. They are supposed to eliminate "cold" areas
on the grill and give more even heat over the cooking area. It looks like
they do work quite well in that manner.
But; they will of course be more expensive.

Lowes, Home Depot, and other places should start marking down some
grills right now because Summer is pretty much over. So ....you can
find some good deals....but; the selection may be a bit thin.

ljh34465
09-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I have an older Weber Genesis and it has done me well. I think the replacement is called the Weber Espirt - last I looked at one at Lowes, think it was $499.

I agree with previous posts about quality and ya get what ya pay for.

If you really have to get a gasser, think about a mini egg for those times you want something really, really good. Two of the questions on the Big Green Egg about where you learned about it - tasted food off one at a dealer, tasted food off it at a friends. Sort of indicates the food is pretty tasty.

The big trade off is ultra convenience vs. real bbq, IMO. Try to figure out what you will be cooking most of the time before you make a giant leap.

smokehunter
09-10-2009, 05:05 PM
I was always a charcoal guy myself, but received a Brinkman Pro Series 7231 as a gift. Honestly, unless I'm smoking something or have buddies over and have plenty of time, I use the gas grill for my wife and I and it does just fine. It is well seasoned so really the flavor loss is kept to a minimum in my opinion. (I know you can't beat charcoal, but for 2 chicken breast it sure is convenient.) It does have two racks which is nice to keep the done pieces warm on or drip some bacon down on a leaner meat and the side burner to make sauces while grilling is nice too.

landarc
09-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Hard to beat a Weber, but, I would look at the idea of getting burners that go left to right, if you want to be able to smoke/low and slow on a gasser. Webers front to back burners make it tough to do.

BBQ Grail
09-10-2009, 05:17 PM
They make gas grills?

Hugh Jorgan
09-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I had a Char Broil. it lasted 10 years without a cover on the back deck and I'm pretty sure I only refilled the tank once. Bought it when I got the house in '99. When I rolled it to the curb earlier this summer, I took the tank for the fryer and have already used it three times.

The gasser was great for cooking corn, veggies, keeping things warm while waiting for everything to come off the real grill. I mostly used it to cook burgers, and to store my spatula, tongs etc. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of it. It would have come in real handy for my UDS builds and now I'm looking for another.

NorthwestBBQ
09-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Hard to beat a Weber, but, I would look at the idea of getting burners that go left to right, if you want to be able to smoke/low and slow on a gasser. Webers front to back burners make it tough to do.

Weber makes plenty of grills with burners that go left to right: http://www.weber.com/grills/default.aspx?glid=3&mid=12

http://www.grillplace.com/images/sume650.jpg

landarc
09-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I did not know that, all the ones I have used went front to back.

NorthwestBBQ
09-10-2009, 07:18 PM
I did not know that, all the ones I have used went front to back.

This is the big one you see Steve Raichlen use on his PBS shows...

landarc
09-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Wow! 'blink' 'blink' fancy, so many shiny knobs...

nmayeux
09-10-2009, 07:42 PM
The Weber Genesis is the way to go. We have a 10 year old Ducane (now owned by Weber), and even though we are not quite in the market yet, our next grill will be a Genesis! It is one of the very few gas gtills on the market that can properly "Pittsburg" a steak.

mjs408
09-11-2009, 12:48 AM
I have a charcoal weber (standard model), Im building a UDS. I think an green egg would be awesome, but I doubt I can sell my wife on a 700 dollar charcoal grill. I not giving up on fire and smoke, just need something that she can use and likes. Keeping her happy makes my life easy.

gtsum
09-11-2009, 07:45 AM
If you are dead set on a gas grill, first thing to do is establish your budget - why? Because for anything under 1k, Weber is the place to be looking. Do not get sucked into the shiny SS units at home depot or lowes, etc. They are very cheaply made with inferior SS and will pit and discolor easily. Weber cannot be beat under 1k - they cook well, last a long time, and have fairly even heat, plus their customer service is fantastic.

If you are looking at higher end grills, and really want a showpiece SS grill, look at Fire Magic and Lynx - these will start around 3k -I had a Lynx for a couple years and a weber genesis before that and there is most certainly a difference between the two...the Lynx will last 20 years easily...lifetime warranty, much heavier construction (the burners are 1/4 inch thick solid brass...the burners on a weber are thinner then the edge of a quarter), and the SS is true American SS that is welded together. The heat output was much much higher on the Lynx as well, and it had more even heating. All that being said, I sold my gas grills (even the Lynx) and now cook on a ceramic cooker and could not be happier!

Texas Turtle
09-11-2009, 07:52 AM
For some reason the "stainless" Charmglows don't seem to last down here. Just trashed a Commercial series four-burner model after just over three years because the firebox burned through and melted the control knobs and the cabinet was rusted to pieces. Parts to rebuild would have run me $350. Went to Lowes for some 2 x 4s and found a Brinkman 4-burner with twin sideburners and infrared for $269 with free assembly. I know, it ain't a Weber but at that price I can continue to throw them out every three to four years and the cast iron grates from my Charmer fit perfectly as replacements for the porcelain ones that came on the Brinky. The cover from the old one fits pretty well, too. I use the gasser for burgers and breasts for the wife and I during the week when I don't want to take the time to build a fire in one of the other three cookers. The Brinky is mostly black enamel with "stainless" trim. We'll see how long it lasts, I guess.

smokehunter
09-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Landarc, I'm not tyring to take a dig but whats the theory on it being easier to do low and slow on right to left burners than front to back? honestly if i'm going low and slow i'm using something besides a gasser but i do understand for apartments etc... When i have things that cook faster than others i just turn the right burner off, leave the middle burner on low-med, and the right burner on medium (or high) giving me in essence a 3 zone fire? just curious because when this one dies (which i hope will be no time soon) i will get another gasser and would like info. thanks.

landarc
09-11-2009, 11:54 AM
The Weber's which I have cooked on have three burners that run lengthwise in the fire box. Thus, the front, middle or back burners can be moderated. Other gassers I have seen have a similar setup. If you want indirect heat, you end up with the cooking area cut into thirds width wise and have a smaller area to get away from the heat. If you have the burners going the other way, you can get the meat farther away from the heating element. It allows you a little more control over the color of the meat and the amount of direct radiant heat the meat is exposed to.

In the end, I do not like doing BBQ over a gas flame, I actually have heard some folks make arguments that it is easier and better to use a combo of wood and gas, to each their own. I think the use of wood and charcoal is just a lot more interesting and challenging.

82muchhomework
09-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Indirect on the Genesis (with burners that run horizontally) poses no problem for me. The burners are far enough apart that I can cook indirect on almost any part of the grill and at any temp. Tri Tips, seared and then indirect are common place on my grill (as are grease fires when I forget to clean out the bottom).

Now, as far as going low and slow on a gasser, its a sin... but its possible. I've done it successfully on my Weber Genesis when I didn't have another option. And it was pretty easy.

*Disclaimer*
It didn't taste as good as low and slow over wood and charcoal of course, but it did produce tender results. It almost becomes a fight between what results you want and what your equipment can produce. Like turning a corolla into a rock crawler, best to start with the right equipment for the results you are looking for.

How?
I used disposable aluminum pans that sit under the grates on top of the rear two burners and filled them half way with water. I only lit the front burner and turned it way down. Place the meat over the pans.

The hard part is fiddling with pouches of wood chunks. Its hard (impossible) to get a good smoke flavor on a gasser. Its just not designed for it.

What I learned is that that darn weber can hold a temp of 220* for 6 or 8 hours with very little adjustment. Its a darn good grill, period.

If you need a gasser for weekday dinners, I recommend the Weber. Pick a size that will match your families needs (maybe a little bigger than you think you'll need). Avoid Stainless Steel exteriors. The look is hard to maintain, it does nothing for your cooking and it costs a ton. Also, I have never used a side burner and never felt like I needed one. I have a stove for that.

If you want a grill for weekend BBQ parties, go with charcoal.

Ksmoker1
09-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Hit craigslist for weber in your area. Craigshelper.com rocks too. Weber's can be found for great prices, just takes some looking...

jswordy
09-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Charmglow, baby! :mrgreen:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p264/jswordy/saturday005.jpg

Now's the time to be looking. Everything is going on end of season clearance. Mine was bought at clearance, even had a rotisserie with it that I have never gotten around to using. That's what the back burner is for, rotisserie use. It also has a side burner, and a short top rack I never have installed cuz I wouldnt use it.

+1 on the cover. I got my cover at Wally World at half off. Well worth it!

landarc
09-11-2009, 07:48 PM
I agree with 82, there is no reason not to have a gasser if that is what you want. It is fast and convenient. It is not a smoker, it is an outdoor oven. I have a gasser and a kettle, I will have a WSM or UDS soon as well. The right tool for the job.

NorthwestBBQ
09-11-2009, 07:50 PM
I agree, gassers are great for grilling and useless for smoking. I have both and they are two different animals.

BIG ALAN
09-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Anyone seen Emeril do a stove-top smoke of meat or fish with a stainless steel closed box? One of these inside a gasser might just solve that 'can't get a good smoke with a gasser' problem. Sure be good in the rain.

NorthwestBBQ
09-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Anyone seen Emeril do a stove-top smoke of meat or fish with a stainless steel closed box? One of these inside a gasser might just solve that 'can't get a good smoke with a gasser' problem. Sure be good in the rain.

Actually not really. No matter what you do with wet chips in a gasser you will not get a smoke ring. Sorry...

donhd04
02-24-2011, 08:40 PM
hey guys, im in the same boat as the original poster. I have been leaning towards a Napoleon grill. I read somewhere (i think it was on about.bbq.com) that in the under 2k range they were the only ones to rank higher than weber. don't know how true that is but i would like to have your all's opinion on them.

donhd04
02-25-2011, 06:03 AM
hey guys, im in the same boat as the original poster. I have been leaning towards a Napoleon grill. I read somewhere (i think it was on about.bbq.com) that in the under 2k range they were the only ones to rank higher than weber. don't know how true that is but i would like to have your all's opinion on them.

bump

aquablue22
02-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Yep, Weber is the only way to go, I'm on my second one in my life, first one I gave to my son when they bought their first home. And it is still in great condition.

Gore
02-25-2011, 07:44 AM
I just purchased one of those big fancy Webers with the 6 shiny knobs with burners left to right. It was on sale at a price I couldn't turn down. The problem I always had with Webers is that they are too small! This one is not. It also has some really neat features, like lights that shine down on the grill that you can turn on and see what you're cooking!

The reason I finally went with the Weber is that I've been on an endless cycle of buying a grill, having some parts wear out after 2-3 years, and not being able to find the dang parts because the grill (Char-grill or whatever) has changed their models and they no longer make those particular parts anymore! So I throw the grill out and buy a new one! Fark, I hated that. With the Weber, I always see the parts and the right ones for grills that are umpteen years old! In the long run, I might not save much money (because they are more expensive), but at least I'm not feeling guilty about throwing away an almost perfectly good grill that is unusable because of a couple stupid parts that can't be replaced. Incidentally, there are no hot or cold spots on this Weber grill -- that will be something to get used to. :roll:

JD McGee
02-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Congrats on the new tool...I have been very happy with my Weber Genesis Silver for the last 5 years. I use it religously 2-3 times per week year round. The only thing I had to replace so far was an ignighter and flavor bars...have fun!

Norm
02-25-2011, 08:11 AM
When I was shopping for one I looked at the weber line and the napoleon line. I decided on the weber summit. I've had it for 3 years now with zero problems.

El Lobo
02-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Vermont Castings makes some excellent stuff.

Myrdhyn
02-25-2011, 09:37 AM
http://www.charbroil.com/VProductInfo/1-67-431-1947/RED-ThreeBurner-Dual-Fuel-Infrared-Grill.aspx

That's what I got as my gasser after cooking on tons of gas grills and cooking on this one. I've done virtually side-to-side comparisons with this grill and top end Weber Genesis (cook on mine one night, go to a friends house the next night and cook on his genesis), and this one wins in terms of both heat output, construction quality, and evenness of heat (my grill quite literally has no hot spots).

Further, it's impossible for the burners to get gunked/rusted out as there is no way for anything to actually come in contact with the burners. It's easy to clean as you just pull the pans out and wash them. You can smoke on it with wood chunks or even splits in the pan and I can hold a steady temp as low as 200 as long as I've got propane...actually did a chuckie last night. Then I can turn right around and crank it to far higher grate temp than you'll ever need for searing, or anything in between. It's also probably the most gas efficient grill I've ever owned, I usually get an entire summer of heavy cooking on one cylinder, sometimes more. I seriously don't even consider any other gasser worth looking at. If I *had* to choose a gasser that wasn't this, then I would go with the Weber Genesis, but honestly after extensive testing and looking at both, this is truly the better grill.

Big Jim BBQ
02-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Ger her a $100 Charbroil at Lowes then Buy (or Build) your favorite charcoal cooker. Now both are satisfied.

Big Frank
02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
http://www.rainbowappliance.com/Genesis-EP320.html

I would go with a weber. I will be buying the genesis 320 model in the spring. If you take care of them they will last for years and weber will always have replacement parts. I can't imagine why anybody would spend $2000. for a gas grill.

OakPit
02-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Have you considered a Pellet Grill? They are just as clean and easy to use as gas, but give you the mild wood smoke flavor that many desire.

www.greenmountaingrills.com (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/www.greenmountaingrills.com)

www.makgrills.com (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/www.makgrills.com)

No mess, no propane bottles, WAY better BBQ or grilling experience. Same general price.

just my .02

TN_BBQ
02-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Holy cow. You mean there is actually a gas grill that costs over $2,000? Wow!

Must come with some bells n whistles.

I think grillman in an earlier post on page 1 had some nice tips. The most obvious being to get at least 3 burners.

My local Sears and WalMart both had clearance prices on most of their grills. Looked like quite a few that I wouldn't have any problem owning and using in the $250 range.

gtsum
02-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Like most anything else in life, you get what you pay for with gas grills. For 1k and under, weber no question about it. 1k to 2k you can start looking at some other options like napoleon for example. True high end gassers will be 3k and up and cook quite a bit differently then a weber, etc and are made much better. Lynx and firemagic r a couple that come to mind. I have had a couple webers and I have also had a lynx....there is no compariosn between the 2...nor should there be by the price difference......for those that r wondering why spend that bmuch money.....well, it is like comparing the fit, finish, etc on a lang to a greer pit......there is a huge difference, although the performance advantage of a high end gasser is also quite a bit more as well

All that being said, I sold my lynx and now cook on a ceramic and could not be happier

Ryan Abood
02-26-2011, 12:38 PM
I agree weber is top notch, but I couldn't pass up this $60 CL find.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/app/2234016360.html

TomB
02-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Weber after poor experience with many cheap grills.