PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a WSM

bobaftt
09-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Any tips? Mine is getting greasy to the point that I can't touch the outside without getting all greasy. I was wondering what you people that cook every weekend do?

Harbormaster
09-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Greased Lightning and a green Scotch-Brite pad to clean the outside. I use a 5 in 1 paint tool to scrape some of the excess cr@p out of the inside of the center section, a wadded up ball of foil to clean out the inside of the lid, and an empty chewing tobacco tin (plastic) to scrape the gunk off the inside of the charcoal bowl.

cdollar
09-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Soak it down with Castrol Super Clean, full strength, scrub with a stiff brush, then finish up with this:
http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/on-demand_steamer_spray,104796,747.html

Chuck

smokehunter
09-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I haven't had mine that long (and don't get me wrong I love it) but it seems like everytime i cook in mine i have to do a serious cleaning because everything gets moldy. i rinse out the water bowl and dump the charcoal once it cools down and even scrape where charcoal falls down but i still have problems. it is very warm in the summer where i live. the last time i opened all vents and put the door on the top rack before i put the cover on. i'm hoping that will help but haven't remembered to look. if that helped i will post. anybody have a good system?

bobaftt
09-10-2009, 06:29 AM
thanks guys!

jdub
09-10-2009, 06:51 AM
I haven't had mine that long (and don't get me wrong I love it) but it seems like everytime i cook in mine i have to do a serious cleaning because everything gets moldy. i rinse out the water bowl and dump the charcoal once it cools down and even scrape where charcoal falls down but i still have problems. it is very warm in the summer where i live. the last time i opened all vents and put the door on the top rack before i put the cover on. i'm hoping that will help but haven't remembered to look. if that helped i will post. anybody have a good system?
Mine all do the same ( I live right next to a swamp. Oh wait, those are called "wetlands" now). I just let it go and scrub em down with dish soap and a brush before I start each cook. Its going to gum up anyway, might as well not waste my time eh?

sfisch
09-10-2009, 07:57 AM
I just got a bottle of some off brand spray degreaser from the dollar store to use on the outside, spray it on wipe it off with a paper towel. Works really good.
Don't do much with the inside unless there are chunks kind of hanging off the side then I just hit it lightly with a scrub brush.

Scott

Desert Dweller
09-10-2009, 09:12 AM
:mrgreen:Clean it? u r supposed to clean it? Huh? What?:mrgreen:

Cliff H.
09-10-2009, 09:19 AM
I have done the Larry Wolfe method. Fill the ring with kingsford, open everything up, when it gets as hot as it can get then prop the door open so plenty of air can get in for a good turbo burn.

Don't try to cook anything while preforming the cleaning cycle.

bigabyte
09-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Just leave the parts out after cooking and the dogs will lick it all very clean. Really, it works.:wink:

Harbormaster
09-10-2009, 09:55 AM
:mrgreen:Clean it? u r supposed to clean it? Huh? What?:mrgreen:
I'm a little anal when it comes to the care of my WSMs!
A couple of times a year they all get a good washing, especially on the outside, to keep them all shiny. They tell me they are happier that way. :wink:

Bill-Chicago
09-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm a little anal when it comes to the care of my WSMs!
A couple of times a year they all get a good washing, especially on the outside, to keep them all shiny. They tell me they are happier that way. :wink:

I gotta ask.

What the hell are you people doing on the outside of your WSM's?

Slapping the side of it with a brisket?

I don't get it?

NEVER, in 4 or so years have I gotten ANY grease on the outside.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Now grease on the inside, sure, it gets all over. But how the heck are you getting the outside with enough grease that you actually need a chemical degreaser to clean it?

Help a, obviously careful, brother out.

bigabyte
09-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Maybe Harbormaster just wants his WSM's to pass the white glove test?

Harbormaster
09-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I gotta ask.

What the hell are you people doing on the outside of your WSM's?
Help a, obviously careful, brother out.
I get smoke that leaks out from under the dome, around the door, etc... and it "stains" the outside. Like I said, I don't like the way those "stains" look, and I clean them off a couple of times a year.