PDA

View Full Version : Raw Pron, Grass fed/all natural beef...questions, comments??

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
09-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Ok, I like to eat good quality local food. I get lucky enough to eat a few cuts of the beef grown on the ranch i live on(right handed only:-P). I also like to get some other local beef, but this grass fed stuff sometimes sucks. it is usually on the super lean side of things, and just q's up, grills up, smokes up...well, a little on the dry side. I wanted to throw it to the brethren. I like this brand alot, seems really fatty where it should. I'll let you guys be the judge of this Beef Chuck Steak. I post some photos of how it looks cooked later. I really just wanted some of what you guys thought about this grass fed stuff. These guys i got this from do things a little better then most of the natural beef guys though. Dilt your head for the first one.
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/xterrible/DSC01491.jpg
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/xterrible/DSC01492.jpg

landarc
09-09-2009, 07:48 PM
I like the Painted Hills product, I do not believe it is purely grass fed at pasture. I believe it is one that is finished on grain, just that the grain is not processed or treated with chemicals. It is good stuff, I will look for it when I can get it, and is the beef I am most likely eating when in Jefferson. The steaks and tri-tips are very good too. I like the flavor, although it is not as good as the stuff my uncle raised, of course, he corn finished.

I am very familiar with grass fed pasture finished and it is good, has a nice beefy mineral edged flavor. It is lean though and needs to be done very rare or very slowly cooked to avoid getting dry and tough.

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
09-09-2009, 07:50 PM
some how i knew you would be the one to reply. Exactly what you say i agree. It is the best of the local beef product. Humboldt grass fed, now that is the dryest all natural junk around. Painted Hills, is good, and I do believe you are correct about it getting a good finisher. Your Uncle still around???

landarc
09-09-2009, 07:56 PM
No, he passed on two years ago at 97 years old. My cousin still ranches and farms in Idaho though. He eats less beef and rarely grows a special animal like my uncle would. Uncle Tad worked dirt and cattle in Idaho from 1920's on, back when he actually had to ride a horse and round up cattle from an open range. He would laugh at the idea of grass fed beef, as he would say, 'heck, all cattle start off with milk, eat a lot of grass, then they go to the yards and get fat'

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
09-09-2009, 08:00 PM
that still holds true today. I get lucky every once in a while though...and get a taste of what stays and finishes on farm.

landarc
09-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Humboldt has sweet grass. The dairy and beef has that benefit. Add some corn feed at the end and get you some fat cattle.