PDA

View Full Version : I'm unhappy.................:(-

bbqfans
09-08-2009, 07:12 PM
I went cheap this weekend. Got a Picnic to smoke (instead of a Butt) , won't do that again!!!
Darn thing cooked like a Ham. Bone never released and it was kinda tough(couldn't pull it at all). I chopped the dang thing and said heck with it. I left it on till way after the Packer Briskets came off-about 16 hrs. This was for a 8-9lb. piece of meat!!!
Anyhow, the wifw will have to get use to Butts, just they don't get down to .69 cents a pound:!:
Any body else have this happen?

ljh34465
09-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up:wink:

Papa Payne
09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Wow, 16 hrs for an 8 to 9 lb picnic? :shock: And still not tender, falling off the bone? I may just have to move the picnic down the list of things to BBQ.

landarc
09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Sorry no, not here. I have always bought the shoulder butt and not the picnic.

SirPorkaLot
09-08-2009, 07:32 PM
The terminology can be confusing for sure.

Here is a link that will help. http://www.askthemeatman.com/hog_cuts_interactive_chart.htm

The "Boston Butt" is from the shoulder, as is the "picnic"

They sell both a pork "picnic" shoulder and a pork shoulder "butt".

The "butt" is from the top of the shoulder and the "picnic" is from the bottom.
The picnic is a tougher cut of meat and takes longer to smoke to reach the same tenderness.
It does have more fat, and can be a more flavorful piece of meat than a butt (more fat to render down) if cooked long and slow enough.

BBQ Bandit
09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Sorry to hear you had shoulder issues. Was it a fresh shoulder or packaged in a liquid solution? Some labels has a disclaimer : may have up to XX amount of solution.

That's the heads up that it was already partially cured... in a salt solution.

Just ran into it myself... with chopped ham tonight.

Willard
09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I use both. The picnic has a bit more flavour in my opinion, never had one turn out tough yet. I smoke at 250 to 165 then foil and take them to 195. Let rest in the cooler a couple of hours and then they pull just fine.

Sorry you had trouble, they are a very tastey piece of meat.

CaptainJimmy
09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Wow. very wierd. I do picnics ALL the time. They come out fabulous. Boston butts require me to schlep all the way to sams club, and then i have to buy 2 of them. Picnics I can get any time or day.

I however remove and discard the skin and as much silverskin as possible. I have NO problem pulling them, the bone falls right out. What temps did you cook it to? I always go to at least 195, and rest them in the oven under towels. Like others said, make sure they werent 'flavor enhanced'.

bbqfans
09-08-2009, 07:53 PM
That darn Picnic...
I smoke at 220*F to 225*F and usually have no trouble,however this thing was a nightmare. Now I don't wrap and won't,I'm anal about my process and that don't fit in.....
Bandit, it was from Wally World and was cello wrapped. My go to guy,SOB, will come in and answer my problem ,I'm confident.
Jshepwnc,(whew)I know all that stuff ,I do brisky's and Butts all the time and haven't had one do that, but no more... I'm a Butt man through and through now:!:
And, Landarc, I'm poor man.I can't allways get stuff(crying)to smoke:icon_frow
I'll go now as I am ashamed of the mess I made, the keyboard is wet:!::icon_sad

SirPorkaLot
09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
It's all good!
I have probably ruined more meat than I care to admit.
it is just an excuse to do it again soon so you can redeem yourself. :-D

Midnight Smoke
09-08-2009, 07:57 PM
I have done the same thing, tried a Picnic and just did not like the flavor. Mine pulled just fine though.

N8man
09-08-2009, 08:40 PM
When I can, I like to smoke both a Butt and a Picnic and mix the two at the end when pulling...there's a lot of flavor from the picnic that you can't get from the butt alone...If you buy a full shoulder from a butcher, that's what you get...

LMAJ
09-08-2009, 09:03 PM
We like the shoulder - it does seem to take longer but we like the flavor.

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
09-08-2009, 09:08 PM
It's all good!
I have probably ruined more meat than I care to admit.
it is just an excuse to do it again soon so you can redeem yourself. :-D

Copy that, Live and Learn

CaptainJimmy
09-08-2009, 09:36 PM
i personally cant tell the difference between the butt and the picnic in taste... they finish in about the same amount of time. The only thing nice about the butts is there is very little waste - where the picnics have a little waste with the skin and the large bone.

bbq-slut
09-09-2009, 03:16 AM
I'm going to have to agree with the posts that claim the Picnic is more flavorful then the Boston butt. I really prefer the Picnics over the Boston butt although lately I have been doing a lot of Boston Butts simply because I got a bunch on sail and stocked the freezer.

I can definitely tell the difference between a foiled BBQ pork shoulder and one that has been done proper. I simply won't foil them myself, It seems to ruin the bark and make them a bit mushy. If your going to go through all the trouble to BBQ a pork shoulder for pulled pork you might as well do it right and not cut corners.

I'm really curious why your Picnic cooked the way it did. Are you sure it wasn't a processed of partially processed ham?

swamprb
09-09-2009, 03:27 AM
I'm a fan of the Picnics! I think the meat is darker and sweeter and all the ones I've cooked took longer than any butts. I like to cut some slashes in the skin to get more smoke on them and foil to speed them up.

4TheLoveofBrisket
09-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Sorry to hear you had shoulder issues. Was it a fresh shoulder or packaged in a liquid solution? Some labels has a disclaimer : may have up to XX amount of solution.

That's the heads up that it was already partially cured... in a salt solution.

Just ran into it myself... with chopped ham tonight.

You cannot cure meat with just a sodium solution. The addition of a nitrite, and possibly nitrate must be used also. The + - 10% sodium solution we find in fresh meats typically found in a grocery store is added for "flavor" and to help it retain moisture.

SirPorkaLot
09-09-2009, 06:31 AM
I'm going to have to agree with the posts that claim the Picnic is more flavorful then the Boston butt. I really prefer the Picnics over the Boston butt although lately I have been doing a lot of Boston Butts simply because I got a bunch on sail and stocked the freezer.

I can definitely tell the difference between a foiled BBQ pork shoulder and one that has been done proper. I simply won't foil them myself, It seems to ruin the bark and make them a bit mushy. If your going to go through all the trouble to BBQ a pork shoulder for pulled pork you might as well do it right and not cut corners.

I'm really curious why your Picnic cooked the way it did. Are you sure it wasn't a processed of partially processed ham?

Agreed! I never foil a shoulder, in fact I only foil ribs currently, and I also prefer picnics.

BBQ Bandit
09-09-2009, 07:41 AM
You cannot cure meat with just a sodium solution. The addition of a nitrite, and possibly nitrate must be used also. The + - 10% sodium solution we find in fresh meats typically found in a grocery store is added for "flavor" and to help it retain moisture.

Salt + water = a "wet cure"... also known as a brine solution.

Any pork meat packaged in a long-term exposure in this solution... will come out with a "ham-like" taste. Saw many butts and shoulders as "flavor enhanced".

seattlepitboss
09-09-2009, 09:21 AM
bbqfans, dry your keyboard and take a deep breath, we've all had the attack of the mysterious chewies! I remember cooking some chuck roast once for nearly 24 hours and it was still way too tough to pull.

Picnic cuts are fine to smoke, the meat is wonderful, the bone should release easily. You just got a tough one, that's all. It probably would have given up eventually. You might have "quit 5 minutes before the miracle" as they say!

There's a reason they say "it's done when it's done". :-)

seattlepitboss