PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Chilies

Garth57
09-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Made some sweet/hot pickles a few weeks ago, using some Ghost Chili's a friend(?) of mine gave me. Here is an article on the chili's. I discovered one of the affects after eating 4-5 pickle slices within about an hour (see underlined).Beware!

Extreme care should be taken when ingesting the pepper and its seeds. Take small nibbles first to judge your particular tolerance to the pepper's heat. These little devils are called "Ghost Chili" or "Ghost Pepper" because if you were to pop a whole one in your mouth and eat it, you could feel like a ghost or wish you were dead. Use caution when handling them (gloves are highly recommended) especially when chopping or cutting the fruit since the oleoresin of the chilies will stick well to your hands. Rubbing your eyes or nose after handling the peppers may transfer the oleoresin to sensitive body parts and open up a new world of long lasting burning sensations and pain in those areas. No fooling, these little beauties are beastly HOT!
Based on personal experience, after a slight nibble of the fruit you can experience intense heat sensations in your mouth almost instantly. Swallow the piece and you will feel the heat go down your esophagus and into you stomach where the burning sensation may continue for up to 20 minutes. About an hour and a half later it is possible to experience the pepper's laxative effects, although major burning down in the nether regions does not seem to be overly severe or long lasting (however that may vary with the amount of Ghost chili eaten). Perspiration caused by the peppers may last up to two hours, especially on the scalp. If you are a dedicated chili fanatic you will love the intense rush these little monsters can deliver! In India Bhut jolokia is used as a cure for stomach ailments, a remedy to summer heat (as it induces heavy perspiration) and is a quick acting laxative. In northeastern India the peppers are smeared on fences or used in smoke bombs to keep wild elephants at a distance. The Indian Army (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8119591.stm) is considering putting them in grenades for none lethal crowd control.

Phubar
09-08-2009, 03:55 PM
I think that's the hottest pepper around bro'.
Pepperspray of some kind only defeats it on Scoville if I'm correct.
Handle with care!

Rick-in-LB
09-08-2009, 04:14 PM
All I have to say is, Come on Ice Cream!

Garth57
09-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Ghost is twice as hot as the hab and pepper spray is twice as hot as ghost. I think you can get pepper spray a lot cheaper than the $90/lb I've seen for ghosts.

Phubar
09-08-2009, 04:31 PM
This ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Niu0e_AkbQ&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Niu0e_AkbQ&feature=related) )
was posted recently but still makes me laugh.
I couldn't find the english version.

"At the annual Springfield Chili Cook-Off, Homer eats super-spicy chili made with a dangerous Guatemalan pepper grown by mental patients. The pepper has a powerful hallucinogenic effect and Homer wanders off into the darkest, strangest regions of his mind."

Hugh Jorgan
09-08-2009, 04:31 PM
I don't get it, why would you eat these? Just as a badge of honor? Extremely fast acting laxative properties? I love stuff hot and spicy, but come on, and $90 a pound to boot.

Once at the clubhouse, we took a banana pepper, a few of us took bites out of it and pretended like it was really hot. This cocky new guy ate a piece and started calling us wimps etc. We took out a super habenero, that was a hot pepper bush that year, and said "Well we bet you can't eat that one tough guy!" So of course he had to, and he took a big old bite too. It took us a few more hazings after that to get rid of him. Wish we'd of had a ghost pepper then.

Sounds like a megajoke from the big man himself. You get to laugh at the poor sap for hours!

Kevin
09-08-2009, 04:58 PM
"About an hour and a half later it is possible to experience the pepper's laxative effects,"
May we presume these were not ghost farts?

Norcoredneck
09-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Bill gave me a jar of the pickles. I took them to work. One night I was hungry and nothing in the vending machine seemed inviting so I ate quite a few pickles. I know the affect was watered down but it was a interesting day when I got up the next day.