PDA

View Full Version : Just got to ask this one question...

Rick-in-LB
09-08-2009, 02:07 PM
In my past of smoking and Q-ing I have always kept my beef, pork and chicken separate. This works ok when I use my Char-Griller and Kettle cooker. Now that I added a WSM to my family I was wondering how do I do it with the levels of grills. I have always been told by many that you should keep them separate. A few have told me it does not matter, just stack them on a grill and go for it.
So my dilemma, is it OK to have the beef , pork or chicken over each other ? Just wondering?

Westexbbq
09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Chicken on the very bottom.

jazzspot
09-08-2009, 02:13 PM
What ^^^^^ he said. Chix on the bottom.

garyk1398
09-08-2009, 02:23 PM
http://dessertyears.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/easy-button.jpg

Phubar
09-08-2009, 02:29 PM
That's clear but why the chicks on the bottom?

Skip
09-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I had chicken under ribs at a comp and they took first place. LOL

Merlinspop
09-08-2009, 02:32 PM
So would "Pork higher than beef higher than chicken" be like some sort of Q Kosher Law?

MoGreen
09-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Trichinosis in pork has been pretty much eradicated. That's why we can eat pork with a little color in it now, unlike when we were kids and you had to cook the stuff to death. Aside from E-coli, beef is also pretty safe as far as food borne illness is concerned. But chicken... THOSE dirty birds go hand in hand with the dreaded salmonella. So put them on the bottom rack and don't drip any dirty juices on your other meats! Top to bottom should be seafood, then whole pork and beef, then any ground meats (beloved fatties included), then poultry. At least that's what they teach you in ServeSafe food safety class!

chambersuac
09-08-2009, 03:42 PM
I think MoGreen has ended this thread. Nice post!

Phubar
09-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah,thanx Mo!

Rick-in-LB
09-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks Mo for a good answer. Now I fully understand. Sooo fatties on top and Ribs under that.

thillin
09-08-2009, 04:24 PM
For discussion sake.

If you cooked chicken over pork or beef. If the chicken is done and the lower meat continues to cook, what's the harm? Any juice droppings will have reached "done" temp. I've seen a recipe for cooking chicken over veggies to add flavor. And have seen alot of post with pics of the cooking. So would it only affect meat that is pulled before the chicken is done?

landarc
09-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I think that the reasoning given by MoGreen makes sense and is how I would handle the meats. Chicken is by far the greater risk for contamination. I like pork fat dripped onto chicken, which is why I would use that order as much as anything. However, it is also true that if you put chicken on the bottom, you are either gonna end up over cooking it, or having to remove it prior to the beef or pork, which leads to losing time in the cooker.

It is most likely easier and safer just to have two cookers, one for red meats and one for chicken.

tommykendall
09-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Top to bottom should be seafood, then whole pork and beef, then any ground meats (beloved fatties included), then poultry. At least that's what they teach you in ServeSafe food safety class!

I generally agree but ServeSafe should take seafood completely out of the stacking equation. It's one thing to say that stuff 'tastes like chicken' but I don't think anyone wants their beef, pork, and/or poultry tasting like fish. :shock:

Smokin Mike
09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
pork over beef actually helps IMHO, but I will never let chicken cook over anything,,,,