PDA

View Full Version : Beef rack of ribs... FINALLY!

Sprawling_Homeowner
09-08-2009, 01:10 PM
I finally got around to trying beef rack of ribs in the oven. I have pics at home and Iíll upload them later.

The good news was that I took the pics of the before and after. The bad news is that I didnít take a pic of the ribs right before I ate them on a plate.

I trimmed as much fat from the meat side as I could; on the bonesí side, I used a knife to cut out as much of the membrane as I could as that membrane isnít really edible (well it is, but I donít like chewing on it).

I used lots of rock salt and a little pepper, and on the 3rd rack, I used garlic as well. I then placed them bones down in the pans with about ĺ inch of water. Oven pre-heated for 20 minutes at 325F.

I put them in at about mid-level height. Lowered them one rung, and another rung later.

Took less than 3 hours; it was pretty much done after 2, but I think the bonesí being soaked in water made it necessary for me to leave them bones up for a while. I chucked the water halfway (someone had told me without water the meat would dry up Ė so I have to see how it turns out without water).

Iím not even huge on beef ribsÖ but it was quite tender. The only part that turned out ďbadĒ was that the skin was a bit too crispy. Iíll remember to put the meat all the way at the bottom of the oven next time.

Bbq Bubba
09-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Crock pot busted? :)

Sprawling_Homeowner
09-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Nope.

I used the oven as I have no balcony and this was the only way I could, given my current kitchen equipment, to make a beef rack of ribs.

RichardF
09-08-2009, 03:08 PM

hey - he is still looking for wood. maybe he couldn't find any charcoal either :roll:

i'm not sure what any of what he's done to those poor ribs has to do with bbq :wink:

landarc
09-08-2009, 05:21 PM
On another vein, and until you get a balcony, you do not need to put the ribs in water. In fact, boiling tends to dry meats out. A dry heat, low and slow, even in the oven, will yield better results for you.

Sometimes you gotta cook in an oven, but, there is never a reason to put ribs in water.

JamesTX
09-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I think Homeowner has been through this before - he can't have a smoker in his current situation. No need to keep bustin' his balls over it. He'll get one when he can and he's a brethren until then.

After that, we can judge his Q.

N8man
09-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Brother, you cook how you can, when you can!!!
Ain't nothing wrong with Oven Cooking, Been there, Done that.....

Sprawling_Homeowner
09-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks JamesTX, Landarc, and N8man. :smile:

I can only go by the resources available to me.

Will post pics tonight - forgot to do so last night.

garyk1398
09-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm impressed that you posted this thread with the oven statement! You have some huevos that's fo sure! We all have to start someplace and no better than the oven, some fine vittles I'm sure.

JamesTX
09-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Homeowner - do you have a balcony? Doesn't Brinkman make an electric smoker? No fire so the apt mngmt shouldn't care so much. A few wood chips and you could get some smoke flavor, at least.