PDA

View Full Version : Kettle temperature question.

Heezapistol
09-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Hello everybody,

I have a weber 22.5" kettle. I dont have a thermometer installed on the lid
of the bbq. I have a 'ProQ' temperature probe for checking the meat being
done. I also use this to measure the temp of the grill(through the vent holes). I am not sure if this is an accurate way of doing it though.

Does anyone else use this method? Is it better to drill a hole and place a gauge on the lid or use a thermometer inside the grill?

Any advice greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:. My apologies if this is a completely
stupid question. Its something i have been wondering about :confused:

Thanks,

Neil....

sfbbqguy
09-08-2009, 10:25 AM
No question is a stupid question...

As you look around this site i think you'll see that there are a number of folks who measure the temp of their kettle the way you are doing with your probe through the vent hole. Some guys install thermometers near the grate so they have a good idea of temp right where the food is on the grate.

So, more than one way to skin a cat and you can do what makes you feel most comfortable. You'll get more ideas as you spend time here with th Brethren.

Good luck.

BigAl
09-08-2009, 02:01 PM
I do most of my Kettle slow cooking in the "offset" method. I feed two digital therms down through the top vent holes. One just under the meat (or at grid level) the other near the top of the dome. There will be a 20 to 60 degree difference between the two during the cooking time cycle, depending on what you are cooking and wind, outside temp, etc. Dome temp is always hotter than the grid when doing offset cooking but the difference in temps reduce as the meat approaches "done" temp.

Others may have different experiences but this is what I have learned using my 22.5 Weber grill.

Grilling over the heat, I usually just temp check the food being cooked or don't bother to check.

mbshop
09-08-2009, 03:51 PM
i use two remotes, one in the meat and one through a potato or such at grate level. i just let them lay on top of the kettle and put the lid on carefully. done it for years with no problem. don't do it that way if ya like to slam the lid down.

vermin99
09-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I use a Weber replacement thermometer that I put a wine cork on and measure the dome temp through the vent hole.

landarc
09-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Currently I use a long stem thermometer through the lid holes. This is because dropping a remote thermo probe into a bunch of boiling wort is a bad idea (trust me on this), dropping a second one in is a worse idea (don't ask me how I know). I will be buying a couple of new thermos real soon.

The thermometer through the lid works fine, I like the long probe cause it gets down near the grate.

Timmy
09-08-2009, 08:56 PM
I use a long stem thermometer stuck though the top vent also. there is no right or wrong way. Just do it the same way each time for consistant cooks.