PDA

View Full Version : Cornish Game Hens

OakPit
09-07-2009, 10:14 PM
So I always forget these little things exist...I threw a few on the Traeger Jr. with some of D-Dog's Maple Rub & basted them with a bunch of weird things - experiment style. Bottom Line: Game Hens are great & halves are a nice portion size for one person. Make sure the meat is "pull off the bone" - those little devils are hard to nibble at.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/28215307.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1252380653&Signature=94RuHMQjPa8YcjmJiXqyYYAYR3Y%3D

landarc
09-07-2009, 10:22 PM
That is some good stuff, I love tiny chickens. Um, your post is incomplete, what did you baste with and how did it go? Or is that a secret?

Hugh Jorgan
09-07-2009, 10:24 PM
That looks great, good job!

I keep a few of those in the freezer. I cook them two at a time spatchcocked and jerked for me and my wife and daughter and I've got a great lunch the next day.

OakPit
09-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Laughing - Ok...

1. Soaked them in Mojo Criollo 4 hrs. I used D-Dogs Maple as my base dry rub on top of the Mojo Criollo.

2.After about an hour I basted with A bit of simple sugar, Balsamic Vinegar & Olive Oil

3. another hour I basted with a Sugar/Paprika/Roasted Ancho Chile Powder/a few crushed mint leaves & a bit of brown mustard...all mixed together of course.

This really gave the hens a nice glaze and completed the (3) layers of flavor that I shoot for.

Oh - and they were cooked at 250 for about 3 hrs. on a Traeger Jr.

@ Hugh - Spatchcock is my regular method - you are totally right - SO good!