PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Pron - Beef Back Ribs, Corn and Eggs

BigAl
09-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Choice Center Cut Beef Back Ribs, corn and some eggs on the weber kettle (think choice means , not much of a choice since there was only 2 in the cooler).

Beef ribs here have the "sweet meat" pre scraped out at the packer and these were cut above the scraped out section so I thought I'd try 'em.

Light sprinkle of Lawry's seasoned salt, Montreal steak seasoning, Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper.

Offset on Weber kettle, 3 hrs at 275, 1.25 hr foiled with some drippings and apple juice, 45 min for Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ sauce.

Eggs and corn about 2 hrs also offset. Mostly oak smoke.

Came out OK, eggs were about the same as hard boiled on stove except for the shells turned brown and are harder to peel but there is not another pot to clean :icon_bigsmil.

Thanks for looking.

Mark Stanton
09-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Man that looks great! I love beef ribs. I tried smokin eggs once. I think I cooked em to long. They were kinda tough.

landarc
09-07-2009, 10:59 PM
nice looking bones there

Norcoredneck
09-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Nice smoke ring. How were the eggs?

Phesant
09-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Nice dino bones.... and the rest looks great too :rolleyes:

Phubar
09-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Mmmmmm....smoked eggs,got to try me those!

BBQ Grail
09-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Nice beef ribs. Adding eggs to the list of "things I've got to try"

Saiko
09-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Ribs looking freaking great. I still haven't given beef ribs a shot yet.

bigabyte
09-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Aw hell yeah! That's looking real good.:cool:

BigAl
09-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Nice smoke ring. How were the eggs?

The eggs were just like any hard boiled egg except for a very light smoke flavor near the big end where the shell was the darker brown part of the shell. I should have rotated them earlier to get more equal color coverage.

I noticed that it was harder to get the shell off verses regular hard boiled eggs. The eggs were far away from the coals, the grate temp under the ribs was 260-270, dome vent was around 325.

I like not having to clean another pot. Since this is so easy, I will do it again.:eusa_clap

Thanks to all for the comments:!: :-D

Westexbbq
09-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Love 'dem beefers,
those look great and bet they tasted even better.

(never seen "center cut" round these parts, could ya taste a difference over regular beef ribs?)

BigAl
09-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Love 'dem beefers,
those look great and bet they tasted even better.

(never seen "center cut" round these parts, could ya taste a difference over regular beef ribs?)

Full size Beef ribs around here have the "sweet meat" between the rib bones pre-scraped out at the packer (was told they grind that meat into hamburger) and these were just cut above the scraped out section so I thought I'd try 'em.

I would like to try "regular beef ribs" but no store near me has them without the scraping already done and they look to me like all bone and fat and not worth what they charge for them scraped...:icon_pissed

So, I can only guess that they would taste the same as regular ribs that had not been scraped.

singingwolf
09-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Everything looks fantastic!

I noticed that it was harder to get the shell off verses regular hard boiled eggs.

Much harder, the first (and only) time I tried smoked eggs, we ended up peeling almost as much egg as shell (and no,they weren't overcooked. Yolk stayed bright yellow.) :mad: IMO, The smidgen of smoke flavor (and the lack of one pan to clean) wasn't worth the frustration.

The_Kapn
09-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Lookin' good Al.

I am overdue a beef rib cook (or attempt :oops: ).

TIM

BigAl
09-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Everything looks fantastic!

Much harder, the first (and only) time I tried smoked eggs, we ended up peeling almost as much egg as shell (and no,they weren't overcooked. Yolk stayed bright yellow.) :mad: IMO, The smidgen of smoke flavor (and the lack of one pan to clean) wasn't worth the frustration.

Mine were not as bad as yours to peel. I should add that after the last 2 eggs were in the frig, they peeled much eaiser.

Rookie'48
09-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Good lookin' eats right there! And thanx for the info on refrigerating the eggs.