PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Butt

LC Que
09-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Cooked two butts from Sam's today trying to hit lunch time around 12 to 1 (together they weighed in at 15.1). Put them on the BGE at about 1 AM this morning and kept the temp around 250 +/-25. It took 14 hours for every part of the butt to get to the 190+ temperature range. At 12 hours I pulled part of one that was ready so the family could eat something. I could tell parts weren't ready yet by the resistance when I probed with the thermopen. To me, by the time the last parts of the butt were at temp, other parts were starting to dry out. Am I missing something, should I have pulled earlier?

Hugh Jorgan
09-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Maybe they could have benefited from a foil wrapped rest of about an hour. Did you have plenty of room around them in the cooker for good air circulation? If they were too close to, or touching, the walls or each other that could make a difference. Also every butt is just different. I did 6 a couple of weeks ago and it took one of the smaller ones almost 18 hours. Go figger.

On a side note, do you know little Betsy? She's just a girl that I once knew. She told me I should stop on by if there's anything she can do. I think she was from Lake Charles Loozeeanna. My godfather is from Baton Rouge.

LC Que
09-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I kept them separate for most most of the cook - plenty of space on my large egg although I did lean them against each other toward the end, trying to get the hot spots of the fire focused on the slow cooking parts.

On the side note - not familiar with little Betsy. I've lived south of I-10 all of my life - raised on the westbank of New Orleans (Marrero), went to school at LSU (God's country), and moved to Lake Charles after school - been here ever since.

big range bbq
09-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Every time we buy the butts from Sam's we have the same issues. Some times even though we get to temp we cant get them to pull we have to sell them as chopped pork. We have never had that problem with the butts from Costco, smart and final or from the butcher we deal with. We stopped buying meat from sams all together which blows cause they do have good prices.

Midnight Smoke
09-07-2009, 11:24 PM
If you tested at 12 hours, how were they at 14? Bone in? I take mine to around 165º then foil to 195º then into the cooler for 2-4 hours.

LC Que
09-08-2009, 05:51 AM
At 12 hours, part was at 190+ and part was still hanging out around 170. The part I pulled for lunch was incredibly moist. So far I have made boston butt four times. Two of the times it was awesome, one time I pulled too early (was thinking of the pork temp of 160 instead of the fall off the bone temp of 195), and then yesterday. I have never tried foiling while still on the grill

A few lessons learned - 1) Instead of starting at 1AM for lunch the same day, I will just put it on before I go to bed - give myself plenty of time. 2) Yesterday, I did not slather with mustard before I put the rub on, I definitly like the bark better with the mustard. 3) I'll try foiling next time.

Do you foil everytime or just if things seem to get stuck and looks like it will be a long cook.

Cre-B-Ce
09-08-2009, 06:28 AM
The last few butts I bought at Sam's had similar issues. The bone pulls out clean, but parts of them have to be chopped. I was starting to think I was losing some of my abilities, but the last 4 from Sam's just weren't as good as usual.

Smokin Butts
09-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Go with Pork Smoker. Cook until internal is 165 and then wrap in foil until it hits 190. On the egg you can ramp the tem up to 300 if you need to make it faster and it will hurt them none. Once the foil hits them they turn into butter, hard to mess them up.

Saiko
09-08-2009, 07:20 AM
On the egg you can ramp the tem up to 300 if you need to make it faster and it will hurt them none.

Not just the egg, but any smoker. If you are pressed for time, ramp up your temps. Nobody, including you, will be able to taste the difference.
Last pork butt I did at 225 for a couple of hours, then 275-300 the rest of the way. One of the best pulled pork I've ever done, and two 8lb butts were done in 8 hours.

Ron_L
09-08-2009, 09:00 AM
I kept them separate for most most of the cook - plenty of space on my large egg although I did lean them against each other toward the end, trying to get the hot spots of the fire focused on the slow cooking parts.

Are you using a platesetter or some other type of heat shield in the Egg for indirect cooking? There really shouldn't be any hot spots.

LC Que
09-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Yes - was using an old pizza stone and raised grill to cook indirect. I find that with the indirect set-up the outer edges of the egg are a little hotter due to seeing some of the direct heat/convection.

moda253
09-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah I would have started earlier. I mean I try to rest for atleast an hour. And you have to account for an hour per pound IMO - although I've read 45 mins on one site and 2 hours on another. But this weeekend I did 16 lbs in 15 hours on the cooker. I injected mine and foiled when they hit 165. I think injecting helps cook faster actually perhaps the liquid heats up I don't know.

But for sure I would budget my time for at least 1 hour per pound plus how much time I want to rest them before pulling. So for your cook I would have budgeted about 16 hours. I could be wrong but that's how I would have worked it out.

Cooked two butts from Sam's today trying to hit lunch time around 12 to 1 (together they weighed in at 15.1). Put them on the BGE at about 1 AM this morning and kept the temp around 250 +/-25. It took 14 hours for every part of the butt to get to the 190+ temperature range. At 12 hours I pulled part of one that was ready so the family could eat something. I could tell parts weren't ready yet by the resistance when I probed with the thermopen. To me, by the time the last parts of the butt were at temp, other parts were starting to dry out. Am I missing something, should I have pulled earlier?

Midnight Smoke
09-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Do you foil everytime or just if things seem to get stuck and looks like it will be a long cook.

I most always foil, usually because I want to be sure dinner is on time. Get it done early and into the cooler for a rest until serving time.

bbqfans
09-08-2009, 07:05 PM
IMHO, I think you are cooking at too high a temp. I go for 220*F to 225*F
and smoke till the bone pulls out easily. Never dry and tender as a baby's butt! The Egg will cook very well, and should be OK, but there's always a kink in the works. Keep a log of your smokes and refer to them when there is a problem.This way you can catch the mistakes and correct them. I have a collection of about 10 record books I have of past cooks. I get a Record book at the neighborhood Office Supply.All blank, lines only, label it and start to record my parties...
Works great and saves a lot of embarrassment:icon_cool
I can't find my log file, but Google BBQ LOG and you'll get it.....
hope this helps and
SMOKE HAPPY
bbqfans :smile:

Midnight Smoke
09-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I run my Egg at 240º or so at dome for a grate temp around 225º

nzrebel
09-08-2009, 07:59 PM
On a side note, do you know little Betsy? She's just a girl that I once knew. She told me I should stop on by if there's anything she can do. I think she was from Lake Charles Loozeeanna. My godfather is from Baton Rouge.[/quote]

No, I thnk her name was Bessie. I knew her well. If there's one thing in the whole wide world I sure would like to see, it'd be seeing that little sweet thing of mine put her donut in my tea
Cripple Creek Dave