PDA

View Full Version : Hanger steak - must marinate?

raiderx
09-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Hey folks, I picked up a hanger steak to give it a try. Never cooked one before. From everything I've found on search, it looks like this cut requires a a marinade. What do you say, is this a cut that just won't work with a little salt and pepper and a sear?

BBQ Grail
09-07-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here. Might get some negativity here, but here goes.

There is a school of thought amongst some in the cooking world that marinades have very little impact on the tenderness of the final product and in many cases the flavor doesn't penetrate the meat enough to actually do much good. I'm starting to believe in this.

raiderx
09-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Honestly, that's been my stance for a long time. Certainly, when I do a tri-tip, it doesn't seem to make a difference in tenderness whether I do it plain or marinated. I taste a definite flavor difference if the marinade is strong, though.

Seems like hanger steak ought to work the same way, but I can't find a single article or post where a marinade isn't required.

Grillman
09-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't think I've had Hanger Steak before, but; I have had "Skirt Steak"
which I think is very much like the "Hanger Steak."

I always cook it on high heat with my favorite seasonings.
Cook it medium rare; to medium, and slice it very thin across the grain.

It should be very juicy and have big flavor.

landarc
09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I think with a thicker cut, it does not make a difference. If you are using a think cut like hangar steak, a particularly salty or acidic marinade will make a difference, basic chemistry. Now, would I marinate a flank steak, probably not. Since I would cook it at very high heat with a dry rub on it, only to rare or barely medium rare, it will not have a problem being tender. As for flavor, I doubt a marinade will make it any tastier.