PDA

View Full Version : Brisket question

Smokey Al Gold
09-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Hello all I have a question. I have a 13.5lb brisket and a 9.5lb brisket. I will be cooking both for a birthday party in 2 weeks. Roughly how many people can be fed with 23lbs of brisket. Keep in mind this of course is uncooked weight. Thanks! I just want to make sure I will have enough for maybe 25-30 people. Of course there will be pictures :)

BBQ Grail
09-07-2009, 06:56 PM
I think you're a little short. I'd want closer to 30lbs of uncooked brisket. It's also going to depend on portion size, number of sides and such.

A little more detail on the whole menu might help.

firecracker jack
09-07-2009, 07:12 PM
In my eyes I'm going to estimate 60-65% yeild after cooking. Then you need just figure portion size and cook away.

firecrackerjack

Bbq Bubba
09-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Hello all I have a question. I have a 13.5lb brisket and a 9.5lb brisket. I will be cooking both for a birthday party in 2 weeks. Roughly how many people can be fed with 23lbs of brisket. Keep in mind this of course is uncooked weight. Thanks! I just want to make sure I will have enough for maybe 25-30 people. Of course there will be pictures :)

23 lbs raw at 50% yeild (you may get higher but this always leaves you covered) = 11.5 lbs cooked at 1/3 lb per person = 34.5 servings.

YMMV :cool:

BBQ Grail
09-07-2009, 07:29 PM
23 lbs raw at 50% yeild (you may get higher but this always leaves you covered) = 11.5 lbs cooked at 1/3 lb per person = 34.5 servings.

Those are good numbers. But a little to close for my comfort.

Smokey Al Gold
09-07-2009, 07:33 PM
We will also have rice and beans as sides just FYI. So I guess you guys would suggest more brisket? Maybe another 9-10lb er? Thanks!

MilitantSquatter
09-07-2009, 07:51 PM
We will also have rice and beans as sides just FYI. So I guess you guys would suggest more brisket? Maybe another 9-10lb er? Thanks!

based on the #'s, I'm with Larry... for an extra $20, I'd rather be covered with an extra brisket.. you can always freeze the leftovers for chili etc.

no other meat being served ? not everyone likes brisket..maybe some sausage links or chicken pieces instead ...

G$
09-07-2009, 07:52 PM

I agree with this math, but ....

On thing I have noticed is serving sizes in a vend situation are very different than for a "friends and family" party. When vending, folks hand you the money, and you hand them the portion. (similar for a banquet line that expects single trips of course)

But at a party, I think people are much more apt to serve themselves larger portions and also go back for seconds. 6 ozs is not the typical portion size for my friends and family, :lol: .

G$
09-07-2009, 07:53 PM
not everyone likes brisket..

What you talkin' about?!?!?

Meat Burner
09-07-2009, 08:12 PM
I would agree with Vinny. Brisket is huge around here but other meat/s is almost necessary. Links or yardbird sound like a good idea. Let us know what you decide to do Smokey. Good luck!!

Smokey Al Gold
09-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Well the plan now I think is to ditch the 9.5lber and keep it stashed in my freezer :) And I'll just pick up another 15lber and some sausage links. That would give me closer to 28lbs uncooked and some sausage to go with it. I'm cooking the briskets on my OTG and a buddies OTS. Gonna need to pick up a cheap candy thermometer to use to monitor temps in the OTS since it doesn't have a therm on it like mine does. I also only have one temp probe so I can only monitor one briskets temp. But I do have a meat thermometer so I'll be checking temps every several hours. Any suggestions on how to keep the brisket warm on the way to the party and once we're there? Can I slice it and wrap it all back in foil then take it in a cooler and it stay warm?

bbqfans
09-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Gonna be a lot of answers, but this is what I do...
You'll lose appox. 1/3 in weight. So to get the amount you'll need, allow 1/2 lb. of meat for the ladies and 3/4 lb. for the Guys. There will be some bottomless pits for sure, and this formula will add that factor in...
So for say 50 people you need:62.5 lbs.... you will need 83to 84lbs. of brisket!
Go to Wally World and talk to the meat manager and ask if he can do case lots. If so, that will save you some Bucks.:wink:

bbqfans
09-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I do a lot of family and friend parties...
That said, I have everyone loving Brisket,Ladies and all. But to stretch the dollar , I will do a couple of Butts and pull them for some kiddos and those uninitiated. Go ahead and get another Brisket if you can and do both ,plus (if you can afford to,)get some Butt and do them. All can be frozen and you will be thankful in a week when you really want some "Q".:confused:

Bbq Bubba
09-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Gonna be a lot of answers, but this is what I do...
You'll lose appox. 1/3 in weight. So to get the amount you'll need, allow 1/2 lb. of meat for the ladies and 3/4 lb. for the Guys. There will be some bottomless pits for sure, and this formula will add that factor in...
So for say 50 people you need:62.5 lbs.... you will need 83to 84lbs. of brisket!
Go to Wally World and talk to the meat manager and ask if he can do case lots. If so, that will save you some Bucks.:wink:

I don't think you'd last to long as a caterer. :biggrin:

Odin the Dog
09-08-2009, 10:50 PM

Here is a catering workbook one of the Brethren shared earlier.