PDA

View Full Version : BGE smoke went crazy

chambersuac
09-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Today, my son, Andrew felt up to taking the challenge someone here issued him a couple of weeks ago to do some ribs. He seasoned some beef ribs with Bovine Bold and some Pork Spares with Yardbird.

Fired up the Egg - got great blue smoke and temps around 250 - went great for almost three hours - then we went out for him to spray the ribs with AJ and then the Egg started puffing grey smoke heavily. Not sure what happened! Any thoughts? Could damp lump do that?

Thanks

chambersuac
09-07-2009, 03:15 PM
I think I figured it out - after he sprayed the ribs then temp did drop quite a bit (to around 175, I think). I'm thinking maybe he sprayed so much AJ that it started snuffing out the fire? What thinkest the Brethren?

Abelman
09-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Did you have the plate setter in?

swibirun
09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Could fat and apple juice have dropped onto the plate setter and start to burn? I used a dry drip pan once and once grease dripped onto it long enough to burn, it started smoldering some ick smelling smoke.

chambersuac
09-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Did you have the plate setter in?

Yes, and dang it, Pete, I forgot to mail your peppers. Will pick some more in the morning and get my fat arse to the P.O. Sorry!

chambersuac
09-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Could fat and apple juice have dropped onto the plate setter and start to burn? I used a dry drip pan once and once grease dripped onto it long enough to burn, it started smoldering some ick smelling smoke.

I think that could be it...

Abelman
09-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Yes, and dang it, Pete, I forgot to mail your peppers. Will pick some more in the morning and get my fat arse to the P.O. Sorry!

No worries, I appreciate it. Whenever you get a chance is fine, really.

vern1915
09-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Today, my son, Andrew felt up to taking the challenge someone here issued him a couple of weeks ago to do some ribs. He seasoned some beef ribs with Bovine Bold and some Pork Spares with Yardbird.

Fired up the Egg - got great blue smoke and temps around 250 - went great for almost three hours - then we went out for him to spray the ribs with AJ and then the Egg started puffing grey smoke heavily. Not sure what happened! Any thoughts? Could damp lump do that?

Thanks
Daisy wheel could have moved when lid was lifted. Happens all the time.

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-07-2009, 07:28 PM
no need to spritz in an egg. doesn't meant you can't, but only spritz the ribs, not the charcoal.

if the dome was open for an extended period of time, the fire will grow because you have let oxygen in.

use some type of spacer between the drip pan and the plate setter to prevent scorching of the drippings. i use three or four thermometer retaining clips, corners cut off cast iron grids to make them fit in the egg, or handles cut off cast iron skillets. foil balls would work as well and nuts.

the daisy wheel and slider won't move when you open the dome if you line up the pivot point screw with the hinge movement:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#dwsetting