PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Tender Roast

Hugh Jorgan
09-04-2009, 08:58 PM
What are some other names for this cut? I have been looking for Tri Tip and haven't been able to find it around here. Tomorrow I'm gonna cook what's in the second pic. Usually I buy spares because they're cheaper but they were out. I was gonna get a brisket too but they only had one and it was almost 18 pounds, no thanks. I looked for a 5 pound Chuck Roast and came up with this cut.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx199/Hugh_Jorgan31/Foods/GEDC0343.jpg

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx199/Hugh_Jorgan31/Foods/GEDC0342.jpg

leanza
09-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Take that roast out of the package so we can get a good look at it. What's that 8% solution on the label? Actually, I see it in the second pic. I dont think its a tri tip.

G$
09-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I've never smoked a chuck tender roast, but I think it is (duh) a tender cut from the chuck, almost like a chuck eye steak but in roast form. Even though it is a tender part of the chuck, there is not a lot of fat, so YMMV going low and slow. I might be more inclined to smoke it, finish hot, and slice it at medium.

Hugh Jorgan
09-04-2009, 11:50 PM
You mean like a reverse sear? Grill it indirect for a while and then sear it? Maybe I'll pick up a chicken to cook with it.

thirdeye
09-05-2009, 01:12 AM
A chuck tender is just one of the muscles found in the chuck roll. They do resemble a tenderloin in shape, and are one of the more tender muscles in the chuck.

A chuck roll weighs in around 19 to 20 pounds and the blade bone has been removed. I usually refer to the different sections as chuck eye and below blade roast, but as you can see there are several individual muscles that can be isolated.... one of which is the chuck tender. Butchers will know it as a NAMP 116B.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/DSC04326ajpgw.jpg

Leanza mentioned the 8% injection and that is something to avoid if at all possible. You have to read the fine print, stores get pretty sneaky.

Hugh Jorgan
09-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks, I've never really done much beef, besides steaks. I've done a few briskets, still working on the briskets. Done a few chuck roasts around 5 - 8 pounds. They were great. I guess they would have been a cut of the under blade.

So should I cook this cut for slicing like I did the chuck roasts in the UDS and expect it to come out the same?
Or should I cook it like a super thick steak, grilled indirect for a while then seared over the coals?
Or should I simmer it on the stove for an hour, then place in crockpot overnight with a mixture of Kraft BBQ Sauce and liquid smoke?

thirdeye
09-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks, I've never really done much beef, besides steaks. I've done a few briskets, still working on the briskets. Done a few chuck roasts around 5 - 8 pounds. They were great. I guess they would have been a cut of the under blade.

So should I cook this cut for slicing like I did the chuck roasts in the UDS and expect it to come out the same?
Or should I cook it like a super thick steak, grilled indirect for a while then seared over the coals?
Or should I simmer it on the stove for an hour, then place in crockpot overnight with a mixture of Kraft BBQ Sauce and liquid smoke?

I would think that either of the first options would work out. You could stud it with garlic slivers for a real flavor bump. Or you could slice it into thick medallions and grill them, or another option is to cut into cubes then marinate it and cook in kabob form.

Heheee skip your last idea, but don't overlook a braise finish, which works well with any section of the chuck.