PDA

View Full Version : Happy Friday Farkers...What's Smokin' This Holiday Weekend?...

JD McGee
09-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Friday Night Steaks tonight...:-P

Not sure the rest of the weekend...we got a new 22.5 WSM in the mail yesterday I need to break in...:biggrin:

Have a great holiday folks! :-D

Big V
09-04-2009, 10:31 AM
McD's tonight, while driving up to our "Up North" place. One night we are having a " chili dump" with a bunch of people and the other night I think I'm going to try the "Roadside Chicken" recipe. It's supposed to be a nice weekend here, I hope it's the same for all of you too! :smile:

sluvsmore
09-04-2009, 10:38 AM
publix had nice florida bugs on sale wednesday hoping they still have a few if they do lobster and ribeyes tonight pork butt tomorow and spare ribbs sunday monday will be for getting over the hang over from the weekend!

Divemaster
09-04-2009, 10:38 AM
We too are heading North....

My plan is to hit the Old Time Butchers and see what he has for our Sunday Dinner (tomorrow is the local pork chop picnic) ... I'm kind of thinking of dino-bones, but a turkey also sounds good... Just have to see what he has...

smknhotmama
09-04-2009, 10:48 AM
I have run my mouth about this board so much that my friends have now told me to shut up and start smokin' so I will attempt my first fatty or 2 as well as some stuffed japs (thanks to all the great advice from an earlier post)...and dare I attempt MOINK??
possibly too much for a newbie??? Plus I really need to post pics of the pig from last weekend.

Natryka
09-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Pork Butt and some ABTs.
First time smoking both of these. We'll see how it turns out. Having the whole family over, they'll let me know.

SirPorkaLot
09-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Headed to the meat market shortly.
Plans are for Ribs, Chicken, Brisket, and whatever else looks good. :-D

Smoker should be going most of the weekend, getting ready for first backyard comp. next weekend.

Smokey Al Gold
09-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Baby back ribs tomorrow night :cool:

bbq ron
09-04-2009, 10:53 AM
I'll do a couple of butts and a brisket on Sunday and on Monday going to try roadside chicken :-P:-P:-P

Garth57
09-04-2009, 11:01 AM
My son-in-law and daighter invited me over for some bbq and hangin out by the pool on Saturday. They then asked me what I was going to bbq for them! Guess I'll start the ribs and bbq beans early in the morning at home on my "new to me" used Traeger BBQ100, then take to their place to finish off along with a couple of fattys, coleslaw. Hope they are providing the adult beverages at least. I'll have my 2 other kids along to drive me home. Wife is off working in Dallas for a while. Hope it dips below 100 this weekend.

Bill-Chicago
09-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Gonna try another battle round of Pizza on the Egg.

First round didnt go so well. Didnt have any real pizza equipment, and transfering pizza from a pan to the egg ended badly.

It was pizza on the sheet, but ended up a calzone from the way it landed on the stone.

Baby backs Monday, maybe cheesy bread. Might need to get the Bandera going.

Harbormaster
09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
I'll be cooking 100+ pounds of pork butts for the U.S. Watermelon Speed Eating and Seed Spitting Championships. All proceeds will benefit U.S. Watermelon Speed Eating and Seed Spitting Championships, Inc. for the 2010 U.S. Watermelon Speed Eating and Seed Spitting Championships.

Beast Drinker
09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
After this post the other twin gets on the bus to pre K then, I fire up the WSM for pre heat. Yeah I got today off too.:grin: Backs, beans and my first fatty. I used to grill up sausage sammiches, they kicked azz but it took the brethren to open my eyes to the deeper potential.:mrgreen:

bigabyte
09-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Steak, Chicken, Brats, whatever else strikes my fancy this weekend.

moda253
09-04-2009, 11:34 AM
17 lbs of pork butt and some pig candy.

Bill-Chicago
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM
After this post the other twin gets on the bus to pre K then, I fire up the WSM for pre heat. Yeah I got today off too.:grin:

I gotta ask.

If they are twins, why are they not on the same Pre-K bus?

keale
09-04-2009, 11:39 AM

Not sure the rest of the weekend...we got a new 22.5 WSM in the mail yesterday I need to break in...:biggrin:

Another one??:rolleyes::twisted: can you tell I'm jealous?? Where did you get this one? $$$??

Also

keale
09-04-2009, 11:40 AM
what happened??

Wornslick
09-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I have been laid off work since July 28th so I have had a great time off and I was going to continue it into the weekend with BBQ, Golf and Beer but I got a call from my business agent yesterday so it's back to work for me all weekend.
Hope all of you have a great holliday weekend. :biggrin:

LMAJ
09-04-2009, 12:36 PM
4 racks of spares are going on the Egg in the morning. We had company last weekend and did a shoulder, brisket and 2 racks of the best looking ribs we have ever done - but we didn't get any - making up for that tomorrow.
Sunday may be some pork chops.
Have a great weekend folks.

Beast Drinker
09-04-2009, 12:58 PM
I gotta ask.

If they are twins, why are they not on the same Pre-K bus?

they were last year but we all decided, us and the school that they would be better off seperated so they could better develop their own personalities. They have a few issues cause they were born so preemie and we're trying to catch them up. They turn 5 in November, they were supposed to be born in March. They are sweet happy little girls though and to me that's all that matters. the morning school twin is passed out on the living room floor as we speak. it's cute.:grin:

moocow
09-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Heading south tonight to the inlaws, looking forward to a little Chinese buffet. Don't worry though I have the kettle on the trailer so I am sure something will find its way on it this weekend. Have a good Labor Day!!

hammerz_nailz
09-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Cheeseburgers on the new platinum weber tonight ...still happy about my craigslist score :biggrin:
My daughter is camping this weekend and invited my wife and I for dinner tomorrow at the campsite (this will be interesting).
Sunday night my brothers family will be here. ABT's and beans on the UDS and a couple of chickens on the rotisserie. I might try huli huli maybe.

JD McGee
09-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Just sent out an e-mail at work lookin' for takers to help break in the new pit...so far I'm up to 8 pork butts! :-P That oughta do...:lol::lol::lol:

JD McGee
09-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Another one??:rolleyes::twisted: can you tell I'm jealous?? Where did you get this one? $$$??

Amazon...$349.00 free shipping! :-P You get yours from HD yet?

Also

what happened??

To what? :confused:

Gummy
09-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Trying my first fatty tomorrow morning....Pork sausage, ground pork, scrambled eggs, mushrooms and cheese. Am I missing anything?

Smoke & Beers
09-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Smokin' 4 butts over night tonight to take to the tailgate party at the Funk Bus tomorrow up in Manhattan:mrgreen:
Then smokin' 4 St. Louis spares and a brisket on Sunday or Monday to take with us to Lafayette, LA for the game next Saturday vs. the Ragin' Cajuns...Partyin' with the folks under "The Oak"...
3 day work week next week...gotta love that:mrgreen:

Smokey-T
09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
I got 40lbs of Canadian Bacon on the GOSM as I type. Just about done. dry cured for 13 days, smoking with apple/cherry at 225F. Pulling at 150F. Will let sit tonight, then slice up for breakfast sammies at the river lot this weekend.

PEACE!

bbqfans
09-04-2009, 01:40 PM
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp159/bbqfans/aug2009brisketeggsveggies015.jpg

2 Briskets a Picnic and the kid is suppose to bring , 2 Briskets a Butt, some Ribs and appetizer makings.
Have fun and
SMOKE HAPPY :icon_cool

bbqfans
09-04-2009, 01:41 PM
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp159/bbqfans/Things%20I%20BBQ/aug2009brisketeggsveggies029.jpg

2 Briskets a Picnic and the kid is suppose to bring , 2 Briskets a Butt, some Ribs and appetizer makings.
Have fun and
SMOKE HAPPY :icon_cool

MiamiQ
09-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Smokin' a pair of spares and 4 fatties. And grilling up some fresh lobster tail. MMMMMM......

SirPorkaLot
09-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Trying my first fatty tomorrow morning....Pork sausage, ground pork, scrambled eggs, mushrooms and cheese. Am I missing anything?
I did my first fatty last night, and it was fantastic, bit i did get reprimanded for two things.
1. Only smoking one
2. not putting ja hali penos in them

BigJimsBBQ
09-04-2009, 01:48 PM
JD - Steaks also tonight and 3 cases of pork butts (200 lb) Saturday.

You have a great weekend also JD....

Chipper
09-04-2009, 02:03 PM
A chicken tonight, then some beef and spare ribs tomorrow.

jazzspot
09-04-2009, 02:28 PM
By almost unanimous requests, I have 12 slabs of ribs in the BDS smoking now for my wife's family's get-together tomorrow in Maryland. 8 slabs on top and 4 on the bottom rack. 6 slabs of babybacks and 6 of St Louis cut spares. I'll also divide the slabs with 6 dry and 6 wet using SBR's Sweet n' Spicy with a little sumptin-sumptin added to the mix. :wink:

keale
09-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Quote:

Amazon...$349.00 free shipping! :razz: You get yours from HD yet?

Can't!! I gotta buy a shed for my other junk! :rolleyes: Those guys are expensive! Then I gotta get my patio done... and... well you get the picture...I'll be using the UDS for a while! NTTAWWT! I'm going to add a water pan to it and make it a BIG WSM!! LOL!

vern1915
09-04-2009, 02:53 PM
I was undecided, so I went to Sam's & got brisket, ribs, butt & chicken.

JD McGee
09-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Quote:

Amazon...$349.00 free shipping! :razz: You get yours from HD yet?

Can't!! I gotta buy a shed for my other junk! :rolleyes: Those guys are expensive! Then I gotta get my patio done... and... well you get the picture...I'll be using the UDS for a while! NTTAWWT! I'm going to add a water pan to it and make it a BIG WSM!! LOL!

That'll work! :-P Have a great weekend Roy...don't forget the pics of the new place! :biggrin:

JD - Steaks also tonight and 3 cases of pork butts (200 lb) Saturday.

You have a great weekend also JD....

That's a lot of butts bro...I'm doing more like 60-80 lbs...just enough to season up the new pit. :-P

blues_n_cues
09-04-2009, 03:13 PM
a case of ribs,2lb fatty,& abt's.not sure what the family is going to eat...:twisted:

Brian in Maine
09-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Cooking my first rack of beef back ribs this weekend, I'm also cooking fall back pork butts. I'm going to have a lunch for all of my clients, and their case Managers, on Monday the 21st, and am planning on putting them on on Sunday night, and pulling them at work. The butt I'm going to cook this weekend are in case of inclement weather. It's always good to have extra pork in the freezer anyway.

seattlepitboss
09-04-2009, 06:32 PM
JD, I notice that my local Safeway (and maybe yours too) has their Smithfield extra meaty baby back ribs for $2.99 this week. No big deal except these are really exceptional, about twice as much meat as other baby backs .. also they have pork butts for 99¢, so I stocked up a little.

I have this huge Kamado in my trailer, still trying to figure out how to get the monstroous thing out without tipping it over.

I got the call I've been waiting for today, my 30"x8' horizontal propane cylinder is finally in the service yard. This was in a structure fire and can not be recertified for propane use. It's an extra-heavy tank, 1/4" wall throughout, should make a fine trailer-mounted smoker. I'll be picking that one up early next week. Also, early next week I'll be heading to the hydraulic boneyard to meet the guy who can price all the abandoned machinery cylinders, so I can make some progress on my log splitter project. Way too many irons in the fire at once!

Anyway, you wanted to know what's cookin', I'm doing a simple pork butt injected with a fruit syrup blend marinade.

seattlepitboss

Bill-Chicago
09-04-2009, 06:51 PM
they were last year but we all decided, us and the school that they would be better off seperated so they could better develop their own personalities. They have a few issues cause they were born so preemie and we're trying to catch them up. They turn 5 in November, they were supposed to be born in March. They are sweet happy little girls though and to me that's all that matters. the morning school twin is passed out on the living room floor as we speak. it's cute.:grin:

Growing apart together.

I like it.

I've seen twins, and triplets, that are a little farked up by spending 24/7 with each other.

Good call Beast!!!

BOT:
Just wolfed down 2 cats and a pidgeon worth of Chinese food, so the grilled pizza might need to wait until Sunday or so.

Hitting Harbor Freight for a Egg lighter tomorrow.

Rich Parker
09-04-2009, 07:00 PM
2 Fatties (learned my lesson and will never smoke only one...i promise), couple of butts, a spare, Kerri's Apple Beans and chicken legs/thighs. It is going to be a good weekend.

I will also be able to try Blues-N-Cues rub. Thanks again for the sample!

Smokin' D
09-04-2009, 07:26 PM
24 racks of Baby Backs and 15 pounds of beef short ribs for a Beer Club party on Saturday. A bunch of home brewers and some, like me, who are home drinkers!

igolf2
09-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Moink balls, bacon wrapped sausage apps, wings, ribs for THE labor day party at my sister in laws farm - 4 wheeling, horseback riding, kayaking, shooting, volleyball, hay ride, horseshoes, cornhole, and helping cook 50+ ribeyes, corn-on-the-cob, chicken etc.
It's going to be 78 and sunny and I plan on putting a hurt on the 2 cases of Sam Adams I'm bring.

I hope all you have an awsome weekend and labor day and find the time to sit down with family and eat,drink, and be merry!!

Ksmoker1
09-04-2009, 07:40 PM
BBQ Pizza's tomorrow - trying some grilled peaches for an encore, I really want to cedar plank some fish up - (checking for sales) on the char griller. I'm full on obsessed with getting the UDS up and running, so we'll see what else can fit in the schedule...

Ksmoker1
09-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Wait! All this lobster talk is making me nuts!!!
I may have to change my plans.

nzrebel
09-04-2009, 07:50 PM

Lucky bugger!

We are dining at others, I'll be taking marinated Australian Lamb chops for my mate's Pot Luck grill.

Fajitas tonighht, gasser getting attention for once

Dave

big brother smoke
09-04-2009, 08:18 PM
I picked up a cryo of BBs, Lamb chops and a pack of beef short ribs.

So, maybe the chops tonight!

Also, just made a batch of margaritas. I got some stogies and life is good!:cool:

N8man
09-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Just finished prepping 19 lbs of ABTs to begin with.....
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww171/n8man_album/19lbs_o_Turds.jpg

8 lbs of MOINKballs to follow...then 16 lbs of Pork Butt, Two Racks of Spares, and 24 lbs of Jerk Chicken....
I'm having a few close friends over on Sunday Afternoon....:biggrin:

JD McGee
09-04-2009, 08:36 PM
JD, I notice that my local Safeway (and maybe yours too) has their Smithfield extra meaty baby back ribs for $2.99 this week. No big deal except these are really exceptional, about twice as much meat as other baby backs .. also they have pork butts for 99¢, so I stocked up a little.

I have this huge Kamado in my trailer, still trying to figure out how to get the monstroous thing out without tipping it over.

I got the call I've been waiting for today, my 30"x8' horizontal propane cylinder is finally in the service yard. This was in a structure fire and can not be recertified for propane use. It's an extra-heavy tank, 1/4" wall throughout, should make a fine trailer-mounted smoker. I'll be picking that one up early next week. Also, early next week I'll be heading to the hydraulic boneyard to meet the guy who can price all the abandoned machinery cylinders, so I can make some progress on my log splitter project. Way too many irons in the fire at once!

Anyway, you wanted to know what's cookin', I'm doing a simple pork butt injected with a fruit syrup blend marinade.

seattlepitboss

Thanks for the heads up Grant on the bb's. I'll grab a few for the freezer...we have two qualifiers left in the season and need all the edge we can get! :-P Lookin' forward to your stick burner build...please keep us posted with a play by play. Also if you need anything machined be sure to give me a holler...I may be able to hook you up in my spare time. :biggrin:

I picked up a cryo of BBs, Lamb chops and a pack of beef short ribs.

So, maybe the chops tonight!

Also, just made a batch of margaritas. I got some stogies and life is good!:cool:

I've got a couple of new stogies myself for the weekend...gonna try a Perdomo Lot 23...:-P Yes brother...life IS good! :grin:

Theboz1419
09-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Started out Thursday night smoking 10 pounds of Canadian Bacon and Friday smoked some Yellowfin Tuna with Aspargus, mmmmmmmm.

Saturday, im going to start the day out with smoking some pulled pork and then later going to make some more portabellos on the UDS. Sunday and monday recover

zydecopaws
09-04-2009, 08:58 PM
So far, pork chops, tater wedges (variation of trashbag taters (http://noexcusesbbq.com/recipes/trashbag-potatoes)), and green beans:

http://noexcusesbbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/IMG_1248.JPG

Looked nice on the plate, too...

http://noexcusesbbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/IMG_1249.JPG

Tomorrow is teriyaki strips and trashbag potatoes (http://noexcusesbbq.com/recipes/trashbag-potatoes) (the real thing, no substitutions) for 12 (and maybe some MOINK, just because). Sunday and Monday are still up in the air, but at some point the WSM is coming out and real smoking will occur.

Hugh Jorgan
09-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Lucky me! My in laws went to their lake house, my family went to their beach house. Most of my friends have plans, so the wife says, "We'll go shopping after dinner and you can buy whatever you want to cook us this weekend."

Looked for spare ribs, none. Had to get back baby ribs.

Looked for a small brisket, had one 18 pounds, no thanks. Got a Chuck Tender Roast.

Looked for local made sausage, sold out. Had to get packaged, but it's good.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx199/Hugh_Jorgan31/Foods/GEDC0342.jpg

Bob E Que
09-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Chicken tonight, pork butt tomorrow, brisky Sunday, undecided for Monday.

landarc
09-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I found some dino bones, so Sunday is gonna be beef ribs. I also have a large cook coming up in a month, and tri-tip has been suggested. So I will also do some tri-tip this weekend, since it has been a while since I cooked one.

jlough69
09-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Some brats tomorrow, but some ABT's and babybacks on Sunday!

BIG ALAN
09-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Beef ribs on the CharBroil Silver (3 racks); eat a brisket flat and pulled pork from a smoke 2 weeks ago from the freezer, for friends celebrating my (Ugh, 60TH Birthday).

Hugh Jorgan
09-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Congratulations.

NorthwestBBQ
09-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Just finished prepping 19 lbs of ABTs to begin with.....
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww171/n8man_album/19lbs_o_Turds.jpg

8 lbs of MOINKballs to follow...then 16 lbs of Pork Butt, Two Racks of Spares, and 24 lbs of Jerk Chicken....
I'm having a few close friends over on Sunday Afternoon....:biggrin:

That is some amazing ABT Pron my friend...:mrgreen:

Norcoredneck
09-05-2009, 07:05 AM
4 slabs of ribs, Tri tip.

Bbq Bubba
09-05-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm on vacation.....

I'm thinking a nice fish fry would be nice. :roll:

JD McGee
09-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Weekend smoke update...

A friend of mine called and said he got in to a mess of Coho Salmon yesterday and asked if I wanted some..ummm...yea! :-P So Sunday we'll be having some fresh Coho (Silver)...:biggrin: I'm thinking cedar planks and Dizzy Pig...

peaspurple
09-05-2009, 10:07 AM
I got a butt, JD maple for a fattie and I bought some ground beef gonna try a beef fattie with pepperjack, onions, jalapenos and some rub. Gonna slice it and eat on buns.. oh and some abt's and armidillo eggs..

Leeper
09-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Weekend smoke update...

A friend of mine called yesterday and said he got in to a mess of Coho Salmon yesterday and asked if I wanted some..ummm...yea! :-P So Sunday we'll be having some fresh Coho (Silver)...:biggrin: I'm trhinking cedar planks and Dizzy Pig...

I love this time of year in the Northwest, I keep getting similar phone calls from buddies that just don't have the freezer space to hold all their fish.

Nothing better than a cedar plank and some DP Raging River...I do baste a bit with a mix of apple cider vinegar and honey.

JD McGee
09-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I love this time of year in the Northwest, I keep getting similar phone calls from buddies that just don't have the freezer space to hold all their fish.

Nothing better than a cedar plank and some DP Raging River...I do baste a bit with a mix of apple cider vinegar and honey.

I may have to give that baste a try...I also do a wine / butter / herb baste on occasion. My freind and his son have already maxed out their freezer and are now stocking mine! :lol::lol::lol: I don't have a problem with this at all...:cool:

SirPorkaLot
09-05-2009, 11:03 AM
My freind and his son have already maxed out their freezer and are now stocking mine! :lol::lol::lol: I don't have a problem with this at all...:cool:

I have plenty of freezer space to offer in Georgia, and a severe lack of salmon. :biggrin: