PDA

View Full Version : The sacrificial bag of charcoal...

bigabyte
09-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Earlier this spring, I had grilled something up and left a half full bag of K-Briqs out on the back porch overnight (along with other things I didn't bring in right after cooking). As would be expected, it rained. I was not too surprised, every time I leave a bag of charcoal outside overnight it rains, whether rain was in the forecast or not.

Now, for some reason I never threw that bag away this summer. It is still sitting out there on the back porch under the big Magnolia tree with all my cookers.

Anyway, back to the really important point I was trying to make here...I have noticed that not only have I NOT left any more items out overnight to get rained on, but it also hasn't rained on my cookouts any more this whole summer!:cool: And it has been a wetter than average summer.:biggrin:

So I think I might be onto something here. Perhaps it is a visual reminder to bring my charcoal in, whatever it is, no charcoal has been left out. I can't explain the luck with the weather. It used to never fail, if I fired up my cookers, it was bound to rain. It never failed before. This summer, since leaving that bag of charcoal out there however...this has completely reversed itself.

I'm thinking I should leave it out there even longer. The bag still looks sturdy enough, it isn't disintegrating or anything.

...and no, you can't have my lucky bag of charcoal!:evil:

Divemaster
09-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Damn, you knew I wanted that bag cause I've done the same thing and guess what.... It didn't work for me! lol

Norcoredneck
09-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Did the bag have magic beans in them?

Captain Dave
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM
I think you need a nap. Sleep it off mod.

BBQ Grail
09-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Chris, my BBQ Friend...

Please start taking your meds again.

BBQ Bandit
09-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Just lost a bag of k last week.... altho no pics are available.

PimpSmoke
09-04-2009, 10:02 AM
I always use the damp stuff after the cookers up to temp and I get a valley with sticks. Pumps the temp just enough, and burn a long time too!

Westexbbq
09-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Isn't it a tad bit early to be hitting the sauce?

sfbbqguy
09-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I think you just jinxed your next cook!

Big V
09-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I think you just jinxed your next cook!
Yup - for sure! :twisted:

Big George's BBQ
09-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Chris, my BBQ Friend...

Please start taking your meds again.

I have to agree with this Delusions are a very strong thing

bigabyte
09-04-2009, 12:15 PM
It rained this morning, but it waited until after I remembered to bring in the box of fireplace matches I used to light the paper in the chimney starter last night. It's a big grilling weekend, so hopefully the "magic" is still there!:cool:

I don't remember having any medications...I hope that's not one of the symptoms!:eek:

BigJimsBBQ
09-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Chris - Climb out of the hot tub and share what your smokin dude .. must be good stuff.....

BigAl
09-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Isn't it a tad bit early to be hitting the sauce?

Naw, it HAS to be after noon some where in the world :-P:-D:!:

bbqbull
09-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I would remove the bag of charcoal from your porch asap.

Wet or very damp charcoal is know to catch fire due to spontanious combustion.

bigabyte
09-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Bull, up until now I have never heard that in my whole life, not once. Since it came from you I Googled it because I know you know what you are talking about. There I found lots of articles about it, whether it was true or not, yada, yada, yada. Thanks for the heads up.

Yup, that bags gotta go now. It's raining too...:cry:

leanza
09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Byte, I believe you brother. I'm wid ya till the bitter end.

big brother smoke
09-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I would remove the bag of charcoal from your porch asap.

Wet or very damp charcoal is know to catch fire due to spontanious combustion.

Oh chit, I have been lucky!:shock:

SmokeWatcher
09-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Guess the BBQ GODS are pleased with your sacrificial briqs.