PDA

View Full Version : UDS Gurus, need your help

helljack6
09-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Ok you UDS gurus, this one is right up your alley.

I've built several (over 5) UDS recently, and I would like to think I at least have an understanding of how they work. Each of my first 4 drums was built using four 1" intakes using either 3/4 nipple valves and caps/ball valves or flexable magnets over the holes to regulate temperature.

My recent dilema is this:
Today I made two breakfast fatties, fired up the smoker and cooked. This smoker has 3/4 holes and uses magnets to cover the holes and regulate temperature, no biggie, been smoking on this one at work for over a month now, probably about 10 times or so. Today after I cooked on it, I pulled the meat around noonish and covered the vents completely and put the lid back on didn't cap the exhaust. Went outside just a bit ago (around 3pm CST) and the temp is holding at 200 degrees with no other primary intakes open. The lid isn't exactly an airtight seal, but it seals evenly all the way around. Is there any reason why with it using the exhaust as both a air draw/exhaust push that I couldn't cook on it as it is and not experience any temperature fluctuations and for it to maintain the same temperature that it's holding now?

N8man
09-03-2009, 04:59 PM
That is a real poser for sure....
First question I have... is your Temp Gauge Stuck?:biggrin:
Fire as I understand it needs oxygen to continue to burn and
I find it hard to believe that your fire is getting enough air
thru the exhaust, not saying that it isn't, mind you but,
if I was in your situation I would think air leaking somewhere.

sfbbqguy
09-03-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm certainly no "Guru" but maybe you should just let it go and see how long and what temps you get by using the exhaust as both a air draw/exhaust push.

Last cook I did on mine I pulled the meat off at about 7pm and shut everything down but didn't secure the lid. There couldn't have been but a very tiny amount of air getting in but at 9am the next day I noticed the drum was holding at 150*. I latched the lid and she snuffed out. So this would lead me to believe that I might be able to hold even lower temps but i haven't really experimented with it yet.

Norcoredneck
09-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Air leak somewhere.

helljack6
09-03-2009, 05:16 PM
I appreciate all your quick responses, and yes, i'm not going to claim by any means that she's airtight, i'm sure she's not, but not so far that she drastically pulls that much in even sealed up. But this is the second time i've noticed this taking place. The first time, it ended up burning all night into the following day and burned up all the fuel at a constant 200-210 temperature.

Knowing that it is probably an airleak of some sorts, rather than correct it (because I would actually like to smoke at 210) does it seem feasible that I could actually still cook on it knowing that cold meat into warm/hot UDS will have it's own "cool environment" until it starts to come up to temp. The less meddling I have to do with intakes obviously the better and the happier i'm going to be.