PDA

View Full Version : Not my new 26" Kettle!!!!!

Skip
09-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Well folks it seems my new Weber 26.5" kettle took a beating. One of our friends kids was running around the old Bandera and knocked it over. Wouldn't you know the new 26.5" kettle that should've been in the garage was just the perfect distance away. The vertical box of the Bandera fell directly on the back end and crushed the base of the kettle. The rear legs buckled up and in and it looks like its doing a curtsey. I haven't really looked to closely as it is painful and would rather not consider inflicting bodily harm on this kid or blow a heart attack over screaming about a piece of steel. So I will assess the damage tomorrow and see what, if anything, weber is willing to help me with.

I'm just bummed and needed to vent. Any of you kettle crazy experts have any suggestions?

Ron_L
09-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Geez... That sucks!

MilitantSquatter
09-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks sucks..

Can't hurt to take a pic and send an e-mail of the situation to Weber customer service..

let them know you are also a competition cook team and proudly show your Weber grills at comps and have some upcoming but don't have the cash to buy a replacement. They can probably swing something..

Never know !! Good Luck and keep us posted !!

BigAl
09-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Thought I was the only one with that kind of luck,,,Fark!

Is it too late to claim shipping damage?

Skip
09-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Yeah even the slow boat to china made it. Been about 4 months. But I've only cooked on it 5 times since we've been pretty busy with comps. Its a great piece of equipment too. I like my 22 and my little 18 but they are a whole different animal. The 26 is just a better quality all around. So many little things that add up to a whole lot.

My luck swings like a pendulum. Sometimes its awesome sometimes its terrifying.

Good idea Vin. Didn't think of the competitive cook angle.

BBQ Grail
09-02-2009, 11:47 PM
How in the world do you knock over a Bandera? That's got to just suck. I love my 26" kettle and having something like that would just kill me.

landarc
09-03-2009, 12:22 AM
That is a huge bummer, I would institute a new now running around the fire policy.

Crazy Harry
09-03-2009, 12:42 AM
That really bites. and it's less than the deductible on most insurance policies. But since there's no pron it didn't happen. :twisted:

BIG ALAN
09-03-2009, 01:55 AM
I want to be that kid's sports agent.....
More seriously, that kettle was formed with many thousands of pounds force by a ram at Weber. Maybe they'll take pity and give you a new lower. Better still a new one? If you're listening Weber, a little good will goes a long way.

Dr_KY
09-03-2009, 02:53 AM
Have you told the kids parents where they can order a new on from?

grillfella
09-03-2009, 03:15 AM
The minute I see kids around my equipment I say out go play somewhere else. my equipment is to expensive. The funny thing is parents dont seem to care. good luck brother

Norcoredneck
09-03-2009, 03:21 AM
next time....
http://s3.amazonaws.com/picable/2009/05/25/982645_Kid-Duct-taped-to-a-wall_620.jpg

Captain Dave
09-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Exactly how far away does the firing squad stand?

J_Don
09-03-2009, 08:26 AM
WOW what a bummer. My heart definitrly goes out to you. I like the picture nocoreredneck posted. I think I might have gone a little further like cutting my grass and weedeating for the rest of his life. Hopefully if you do send pictures to Weber they will also feel the pain. Who knows, they might even send you a new kettle. Would be great publicity for them.

SmokeInDaEye
09-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Have you told the kids parents where they can order a new on from?

Exactly. That really sucks, Skip. I know how much you were loving that thing. Sounds like there's not much to salvage if the base is bent. I'm sure you'll have a replacement sooner than I have my 22.5 WSM! :)

bigabyte
09-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Ouch! Chit happens, but DAMN!:shock: So sorry to hear. You handled it very well I must say.

Skip
09-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah from what I can gather the Bandera was at the edge of a concrete pad. It must've had one wheel hanging off the edge. When he leaned against it it pitched and fell over on the kettle. As much as I wanted to do nasty things he is only six and had already thought I was coming home to kill him. He sat on the couch like a deer in the headlights as I came in. Not a word from him as he had a few nervous twitches and a pee shiver. I said to him you have something to say now don't you? He let out with a wimpering "Sorry are you going to kill me". I have to say I almost laughed and then walked away.

In the end its a piece of steel. A beautiful wonderful brilliantly black specimen of cooking art but a piece of steel. Now that I am sane and have had time to calm down all I can think is "boy I am glad it was the weber not one of the kids". I'll miss her but hopefully the rebuild will be painless. I really didn't like the way the vent butterfly moved anyway. It was always too stiff but hadn't gotten around to looking it over. No need now.

I will post pron on it once I get a few pictures taken.

gpalasz
09-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Man that blows...big time. I had something happen similar to my blue OTG just a few months after I bought it. Mine was more less a simple paint chip out of the bowl...I took a pic sent to weber, they sent me a new bowl. Id take pics, send them a letter explaining all what happened and I bet they hook you up. Wouldnt hurt

Smokin Turkey
09-03-2009, 09:20 AM
I feel your pain. Is the 'dera still straight and functioning? Everyone is looking at the obvious man down but we should be giving first aid to the one we can still save.

Sorry to be the one to post the first pron..
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/hccllc2008/412b.jpg

Skip
09-03-2009, 09:46 AM
The Bandera is a relic left over from our first year. It was a used unit we kept alive until the wine arrived. I had asked the wife to call special pick up to clean out the "Island of Misfit Cookers" in my backyard. Just hadn't happened yet. The vertical box on the dera is fairly clean but the firebox is a mess of rust.

big brother smoke
09-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Damn!

moda253
09-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Edited after I read your explanation of it.

Man that does suck. Like ya said though thanfully nobody was hurt. That's what popped into my head first.

Divemaster
09-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Glad no one was hurt!

Talk to Weber, they are a great group, and what is the worst they can say, 'No' and your no worse off than you are now...

Phubar
09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
PHARK!!!:-?
I ain't inviting kids!:wink:

OcalaScott
09-03-2009, 07:34 PM
That is a sad thing that happened, however a good thing that nobody got hurt. The good thing is, you have someone to blame. Unlike me, I can only blame myself for pushing the button and closing the garage door down on top of my Webber 22.5". Bent the $h!t out of the front leg attachment area. I bent it back, still works and again, nobody got hurt. Always have to see the good side.

Scott

Ksmoker1
09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
dude, not the kettle...

Smokin Turkey
09-04-2009, 07:01 AM
No pics yet? is it salvageable?

WannaBeBBQueen
09-04-2009, 07:48 AM

bigabyte
09-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Damage isn't so bad, at least it's still round. A couple bricks under the wheels to level it out and you should be good to go.

Smokin Turkey
09-04-2009, 08:35 AM
I could be wrong but looks like the lidis chipped, the lid holder is bent (could be reshaped) the legs are bent or is it the bottom leg holders that are bent? over all, much better than I was thinking when I thought about an old 'dera squashing it.

Just let me know before you put it on CL. I'll take it off ur hands! lol.

Northwoods Smoke
09-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Man that Bandera put a whoopin on your Weber... ouch.

Skip
09-04-2009, 08:43 AM
I could be wrong but looks like the lidis chipped, the lid holder is bent (could be reshaped) the legs are bent or is it the bottom leg holders that are bent? over all, much better than I was thinking when I thought about an old 'dera squashing it.

Just let me know before you put it on CL. I'll take it off ur hands! lol.

The chips are an eye sore but nothing to cry about. The leg holders are dimpled into the kettle and the rear legs still straight. Yeah the holder is bent but easily fixable. All in all not terrible. The base of the kettle is the only issue and I may be able to bang it into shape adding a few battle scars. Then again I will see how the parents deal with it. Maybe they will come forward and do the right thing. The idea was mentioned but I won't press the issue. Just remember it as time goes by. :lol: I also still have weber to go to. From all the feedback I have a good feeling about weber helping me out.

Dr_KY
09-04-2009, 08:48 AM
That cooker will be fine. You should see the condition mine was in when it arrived. Straighten everything out and keep on grillin.

82muchhomework
09-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Sounds like something that could happen to all of us and could have been a real disaster.

Sorry for the kettle, however, I think we should all look at the silver lining in this situation.

Truth be told, you may have gotten off easy.

Since that bandera fell over, likely off the edge of the patio, count your lucky stars it didn't fall on that six year old (as you already have). A few hundred dollar piece of metal is nothing compared to a lawsuit for an injury that occurred on your property. Instead of the parents apologizing to you and reimbursing you for a kettle, you could be apologizing to them and reimbursing them for medical costs and pain and suffering for what might be argued as your negligence.

Now that would hurt.

I'm glad you shared the experience. We should all be very conscious of safety when cooking. The danger is always there. Mix in kids and its even more probable that something could go wrong. I'm always concerned about burns with kids around, never thought of falling equipment.

I'm not trying to place blame on you, the accident was likely the result of a bunch of minor variables that added up. I'm just thankful that you shared the story and as the cliche goes "at least no one got hurt." We all need to remember that what happens around our bbqs is ultimately our responsibility, even with crazy kids (or drunk neighbors) running around.

Your friendship, that six year olds safety, and your homeowners insurance is more important than the "piece of steel." I think you have a good perspective of it all and handled yourself well.

I hope Weber pulls through for you.

Skip
09-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Sounds like something that could happen to all of us and could have been a real disaster.

Sorry for the kettle, however, I think we should all look at the silver lining in this situation.

Truth be told, you may have gotten off easy.

Since that bandera fell over, likely off the edge of the patio, count your lucky stars it didn't fall on that six year old (as you already have). A few hundred dollar piece of metal is nothing compared to a lawsuit for an injury that occurred on your property. Instead of the parents apologizing to you and reimbursing you for a kettle, you could be apologizing to them and reimbursing them for medical costs and pain and suffering for what might be argued as your negligence.

Now that would hurt.

I'm glad you shared the experience. We should all be very conscious of safety when cooking. The danger is always there. Mix in kids and its even more probable that something could go wrong. I'm always concerned about burns with kids around, never thought of falling equipment.

I'm not trying to place blame on you, the accident was likely the result of a bunch of minor variables that added up. I'm just thankful that you shared the story and as the cliche goes "at least no one got hurt." We all need to remember that what happens around our bbqs is ultimately our responsibility, even with crazy kids (or drunk neighbors) running around.

Your friendship, that six year olds safety, and your homeowners insurance is more important than the "piece of steel." I think you have a good perspective of it all and handled yourself well.

I hope Weber pulls through for you.

Thank you. Yes there are many truths there. When I moved the old trailer to the back of the driveway I moved the Bandera over. Ultimately I was the one who placed it in harms way. Even though this child was where he shouldn't have been and had been told as much the fact is he was there and this happened. I'm just glad he was at the high side and the 'dera pitched forward away from him. I think all of that was in my subconscious as I listened to what amounted to the eulogy for my 26'er. As you stated...luckily only steel was damaged.

I am always telling the kids to get away from the cookers. My spicewine is pretty safe but they are just as conditioned to stay clear of that as they are the Webers.

I hadn't thought of this thread as a learning experience for others but I am glad if it helps rattle some cages. Most know I like rattling cages once in a while. :mrgreen:

BigJimsBBQ
09-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Skip - That really Sucks bro. I would try the Weber Customer Service angle ....

Telephone and Email

Customer Service Line 1-800-446-1071
Canadian Customer Service Line 1-800-265-2150
Grill Line (Open 7 days a week) 1-800-GRILLOUT
Email Addresssupport@weberstephen.com (support@weberstephen.com)

swamprb
09-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Skip-
Sorry to hear about this, but you may want to consider building a table for it. You can straighten a lot of the peices and the table might hide some of the damage.

Or....
You can box it up and send it to me, and I in turn will send you a RED 22.5" kettle!
Serious! I'd love to have a 26" to use on my Magnum Drum smoker!

warren
09-04-2009, 04:23 PM
nice

nzrebel
09-04-2009, 06:40 PM

EVERYTHING at your house looks out of whack...:grin:

Dave

CraigC
09-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Sorry folks, this is going "off topic". Skip, that avatar is priceless! I can't tell you how often we see the "pug butt"!:mrgreen: Having four of them, we are entertained often with such clownishness! They really are a trip. They can snore and fart with the best of us. LOL

Craig

Rich Parker
09-04-2009, 08:06 PM
I say throw it all away except the lid and build a monster UDS. Glad to hear the kids are unharmed!

Skip
09-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Think thats big you should see the lid from the coleman fire pit.

BBQ Bandit
09-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Skip,

Glad everyone is safe... only your nose and metal got bent out of shape. Sorry for you, my friend. It would have been quite a different scenario if the smokers were lit and hot.

Tarpon65
09-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Actually, the lean just gives your grill a "sassy" appearance. It definitely has attitude now!

OakPit
09-05-2009, 03:13 PM
So sad! SO SAD! ;-(

OakPit
09-05-2009, 03:16 PM
next time....
http://s3.amazonaws.com/picable/2009/05/25/982645_Kid-Duct-taped-to-a-wall_620.jpg

I'd add some zip ties to the ankles & wrists...after all it was a 26"

Rich Parker
09-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I picked up a new Weber OTS still in the box off of CL a couple of weeks ago for $60. Yesterday, I decided to put it together to cook some ABTs. I put the lid on the holder and one of my dogs came running by. You can guess what happened.

http://www.richardmparker.com/storage/09_05_2009_weber_corona/Chip1.JPG

http://www.richardmparker.com/storage/09_05_2009_weber_corona/Chip2.JPG

Culprit!!!
http://www.richardmparker.com/storage/09_05_2009_weber_corona/IMG_0375.JPG

Tarpon65
09-06-2009, 01:28 PM
I picked up a new Weber OTS still in the box off of CL a couple of weeks ago for $60. Yesterday, I decided to put it together to cook some ABTs. I put the lid on the holder and one of my dogs came running by. You can guess what happened.

Where did you bury the missing dog? :mrgreen:

Tarpon65
09-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Skip, the lid handle on my 12+ year old 22" kettle is about to break off (they just don't build them like they use to :rolleyes:) . This might give me an excuse to purchase the 26". Does it take much more charcoal to fuel the 26" than the 22"? Many times I wish I had more "real estate" to cook on.

Skip
09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Really it doesn't. If you are diligent after your cook and you smother it quick the rement charcoal from the last is more then enough when mixed with a full chimney. You will have to develop a new dance though. Reaching that far across a hot kettle will cook your hand. I find myself walking around the kettle more then the 22 or 18

What you will notice is the superior craftsmanship in this vs. the smaller ones. Night and day.

Tarpon65
09-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Really it doesn't. If you are diligent after your cook and you smother it quick the rement charcoal from the last is more then enough when mixed with a full chimney. You will have to develop a new dance though. Reaching that far across a hot kettle will cook your hand. I find myself walking around the kettle more then the 22 or 18

What you will notice is the superior craftsmanship in this vs. the smaller ones. Night and day.

That's good to know as I had dropped the lid around a year or so ago and the top never sealed as well after that. I may have to run up to my friendly Ace Hardware and see what there charging for these.