PDA

View Full Version : UDS bummer

chambersuac
09-02-2009, 03:29 PM
I have been slowly working on my first UDS. The weather was so nice this week I just had to work on it more. One of my buddies in town is a backyard welder and had some left over expanded metal and said he's made me a fire basket. He did and brought it over - it was beautifully built - but square, 16" x 16" - which is around 22" diagonally - just a bit too big to fit. Don't think he'll get around to fixing it until next week (at the earliest). Bummer.

On another thread, a Brethren was asking about drip pans - how many of you UDS'ers use a drip pan??? I was not planning on adding one, but I will have two grates, so I could place one on the lower grate, if needed (and when only using the top grate, of course). What do you think?

Dan

Mark
09-02-2009, 03:48 PM
22" diagonally should give you about 1/2" of wiggle room. As for drip pan, I sometimes use one thats about 12" diameter but it's 3" deep and holds water, so it's also a water pan

chambersuac
09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I didn't measure it, it may have been more like 23 inches, but it was just a little too big to fit.

Is your drip pan installed permanently, or can you remove it?

Smokin' D
09-02-2009, 03:59 PM
On another thread, a Brethren was asking about drip pans - how many of you UDS'ers use a drip pan??? I was not planning on adding one, but I will have two grates, so I could place one on the lower grate, if needed (and when only using the top grate, of course). What do you think?

Dan[/quote]

Too bad about that basket. Whack it with a 3 pound sledge?

About the drip pan. My drum has two grates. It runs most efficiently without any drip pan, however the stronger smoke flavor produced by the drum can be overpowering to some. I am experimenting with a cover to a 30 gallon drum as a drip shield. I place it directly on top of my charcoal basket which is 12" tall. So as to not diminish too much the direct cooking of the drum I've drilled many holes into it. Two things I've noticed when using it, well maybe three: the temps in the drum are more even. A good thing. More fuel is consumed in a given period of time. A bad thing. The smoke flavor is stronger than that produced in my off-set but not as strong as without the pan. A good thing I think. All in all I'm happy with the pan use and will continue using it, albeit with a few more holes drilled.

Diver
09-02-2009, 05:01 PM
I do not use a drip/water pan. The only issue I had was an inferno that ignited when cooking 4 butts and leaving the lid off too long... - too many beers mod -

swamprb
09-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Bummer!

Rich Parker
09-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I use 2 cooking grates with no drip pan. I like the sound of the sizzling.

HoosierTrooper
09-02-2009, 05:44 PM
I added a grate about 4 inches above the charcoal basket and set a foiled pan on it as a drip pan, similar to the WSM setup. I really do prefer the taste of the butts, chicken and brisket I get with the drip pan as opposed to the fat dripping on the coals and wood chunks. Can't tell much difference on ribs.

Smokin' D
09-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I use 2 cooking grates with no drip pan. I like the sound of the sizzling.

My holy diffuser pan lets some juices through to the coals but also produces a great sizzle when the fat hits it. Best of both worlds.

Hugh Jorgan
09-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I do not use a drip/water pan. The only issue I had was an inferno that ignited when cooking 4 butts and leaving the lid off too long... - too many beers mod -

I don't use one either. But the next time I do a big one drum cook, I think I'll have to try one. Maybe drill a few holes so some of the fat can still get to the fire.