PDA

View Full Version : walnut for smoke

Jimbowlian
09-01-2009, 06:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used walnut for smoking? Is a good idea or not,just wondering Because I have a walnut tree and have alot of seasoned trimmings I could use. Let me know what ya think thanks

jestridge
09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
This is what it does to other plants don't know what it would do to people
Plants adversely affected by being grown near black walnut trees exhibit symptoms such as foliar yellowing, wilting, and eventual death. The causal agent is a chemical called "juglone" (5 hydroxy-1, 4-napthoquinone), which occurs naturally in all parts of the black walnut. Juglone has experimentally been shown to be a respiration inhibitor which deprives sensitive plants of needed energy for metabolic activity

Captain Dave
09-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Holy wheezing batman. I'm scared

boatnut
09-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Like Jestridge says...best to just leave it lie. :)

Bushwacker
09-01-2009, 08:08 PM
While we are on the Subject of wood burning in smokers, Can Citrus wood (ie: Orange,Grapefruit,Tangerine. ) be Used???

TexasGuppie
09-01-2009, 08:16 PM
While we are on the Subject of wood burning in smokers, Can Citrus wood (ie: Orange,Grapefruit,Tangerine. ) be Used???

NO! Fruitwood cannot be used. To help you resist the temptation, box it all up and ship it to me immediately.

Jimbowlian
09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
thanks for the imput, glad I asked first LOL

Bushwacker
09-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Sorry Lucky, I don't have any at the moment. I have 2 orange trees in the yard, but there only 7'tall, still baby's. I used to delvr Heavy Equipment to the Orange Groves 3 yrs and back before I medically retired.I figured with my old contacts I might be able to get some.Although cause of "Canker disease" They tore up hundreds of thousands of acres and burnt it all 5 years ago to try and get rid of the disease. Nothing wrong with eating it, just made black spots appear on the fruit.

blues_n_cues
09-02-2009, 04:44 AM
Plants adversely affected by being grown near black walnut trees exhibit symptoms such as foliar yellowing, wilting, and eventual death. The causal agent is a chemical called "juglone" (5 hydroxy-1, 4-napthoquinone), which occurs naturally in all parts of the black walnut. Juglone has experimentally been shown to be a respiration inhibitor which deprives sensitive plants of needed energy for metabolic activity

i have a couple & they don't seem to be killing anything. they're in "the jungle"section of the back 40 w/ hickory,oak,beech,& willow right beside them.i do know that when the fruit around the nut starts to turn black & mushy it will stain your hands. i guess i'll be the guinea pig & burn a little to try it out.:icon_smil

azkitch
09-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Thom at Berry Bros. firewood in Phoenix, has spent 35 years running a wood lot, and has learned much about what to cook with. I realize most of you won't drive down there very soon, but his website is very informative. Walnut and mesquite are both very strong woods to use for flavor, best in very small doses, mixed with something else...pecan and hickory are cousins, and fruitwood is fantastic. I still really want to try mulberry--I just can't get through the monkey and weasel...(I stole that line...)

BigJimsBBQ
09-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Jim,

I have used Black Walnut on poultry very very sparingly with oak and fruit wood mix. It is very strong .. more than Misquite .. so a very little goes a long way but does give a nice added flavor.

BTW - I have used Walnut/Pecan shells also and does great and you can still enjoy a Pecan or Walnut Pie. MMMMM .... Pecan Pie.

kickassbbq
09-02-2009, 10:17 AM
A freind brought me a 55 gallon plastic drum FULL of Walnut chuncks that were left over from making cabinets. Dried, seasoned and nothing added.
Beautiful stuff!!! Smoked a Butt with it. Made my lips and mouth numb.
Thought it was just me or the rub. Smoked another Butt that week and SAME thing.
Made my lips numb as hates!!
Got to checking and (maybe right or wrong) but found that Walnut is the only tree in the woods that bugs won't even get near!!
So, I burned all of that beautiful wood in my fire pit.
Works really well in a fire pit, BUT NOT ON MY FOOD!!!!!!

Skip
09-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Odd. I know RibsnWings (Willie B) used it as well. Maybe he can chime in.

Qczar
09-07-2009, 11:40 PM
I`ve been searching to try to find a info page here that had a long list of many types of wood and descriptions of flavors. No luck. Anyone knows where it is?

Good to see a recent thread with same question.

I just got a few nice pieces of black walnut and can get a lot more. Sure would like to know if I should use it? Sounds like it may be a WMD? .................... CHIT!

OakPit
09-07-2009, 11:52 PM

Now I know that the Brethren are sharp folks - but WOW - great post!

OakPit
09-07-2009, 11:55 PM
NO! Fruitwood cannot be used. To help you resist the temptation, box it all up and ship it to me immediately.

Just in case it doesn't all fit into one box - I better be there to help as well. I agree - under NO circumstances is fruitwood of ANY kind to be used for smoking meats.:-D

Bigmista
09-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Thom at Berry Bros. firewood in Phoenix, has spent 35 years running a wood lot, and has learned much about what to cook with. I realize most of you won't drive down there very soon, but his website is very informative. Walnut and mesquite are both very strong woods to use for flavor, best in very small doses, mixed with something else...pecan and hickory are cousins, and fruitwood is fantastic. I still really want to try mulberry--I just can't get through the monkey and weasel...(I stole that line...)

Mulberry is the bomb when you can get it. I use almond right now.

Norcoredneck
09-08-2009, 03:11 AM
Mulberry is the bomb when you can get it. I use almond right now.
I agree. Guy from work gave me some and i used it on the ribs I cooked today. Nice mild flavor.