PDA

View Full Version : First ribs on the WSM

patd7260
09-01-2009, 10:26 AM
A couple weekends ago I cooked up my first batch of spare ribs on the WSM. The results I thought were pretty good. Here is the process I followed and would love suggestions for increased success.

- Rubbed the ribs the night before, wrapped in plastic wrap to sit.
- Took the ribs out and let them warp up a bit while the coals started up
- I put a fresh coat of rub on before going under the smoke
- Cooked for close to 3 hours at 210-225 with occasional basting and hickory chunks
- Wrapped in tin foil and added a little apple juice, cooked another 1.5 hours
- Removed from tin foil and finished cooking about 30 minutes after saucing

Thanks!

nzrebel
09-01-2009, 10:31 AM
A couple weekends ago I cooked up my first batch of spare ribs on the WSM. The results I thought were pretty good. Here is the process I followed and would love suggestions for increased success.

- Rubbed the ribs the night before, wrapped in plastic wrap to sit.
- Took the ribs out and let them warp up a bit while the coals started up
- I put a fresh coat of rub on before going under the smoke
- Cooked for close to 3 hours at 210-225 with occasional basting and hickory chunks
- Wrapped in tin foil and added a little apple juice, cooked another 1.5 hours
- Removed from tin foil and finished cooking about 30 minutes after saucing

Thanks!

Those look great. Are they spares or Back ribs? The pic of them cut looks like Baby's.

That's a 22", right? I just got an 18" and I hope my first batch look that good

Dave

patd7260
09-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks! These are back ribs, thanks for the catch. It is the 22", a wonderful thing!

Harbormaster
09-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Nice looking ribs. You done good.
I just got an 18" and I hope my first batch look that good
You won't be able to lay a full rack out like that on the 18.5. I use a rib rack and bend the ends to fit or tuck the small end of the spares behind the rest to get them to fit. I just started using the WSM for ribs, and I think I like it better than my offset.

Rick-in-LB
09-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Looks good. I plan on picking up a 18" on Friday,payday:mrgreen:. I just hope it works well for me as some out there!

Rick

J_Don
09-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Those sure do look tasty. Just bought a new Weber Performer and the 22.5 WSM is next. I've been wanting one for some time now.

nonthink
09-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Those look great. Before I read farther down the thread I was wondering how you fit all 3 racks on like that. I really want a 22 WSM.

ChiTown_Porker
09-01-2009, 02:24 PM
you nailed it. i have 22.5 envy as i need to bend my ribs to get them to fit.:icon_shock1:

nzrebel
09-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Nice looking ribs. You done good.

You won't be able to lay a full rack out like that on the 18.5. I use a rib rack and bend the ends to fit or tuck the small end of the spares behind the rest to get them to fit. I just started using the WSM for ribs, and I think I like it better than my offset.

What about spares, how do you get them on an 18"? Same way, curl 'em? Anyone suggest the best rib rack for that?

I love my 18" but I'm already getting envy for the 22"

Dave

Phubar
09-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Nice ribs Pat!

sfisch
09-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Really good looking ribs. Just watch the salt content in your rub if you are going to let them set over night, if there is too much salt they can get kind of "hammy" tasting.

Scott

bbq-slut
09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
What about spares, how do you get them on an 18"? Same way, curl 'em? Anyone suggest the best rib rack for that?

I love my 18" but I'm already getting envy for the 22"

Dave

Dave
You don't need a 22 incher or a rib rack to do 3 racks. In fact I don't much like rib racks I think they are a waste of money and they have a tendency too scrape rub off the ribs.

The best way I have ever seen to do ribs on a vertical smoker such as a WSM is to pin wheel them and secure them with a Bamboo Skewer. This way they get even smoke and heat inside and out, and they don't interrupt the airflow in a vertical smoker such as a WSM nearly as much as laying them flat can.
The Bamboo skewer also makes a excellent handle to flip them so you don't have to manhandle the ribs. The best part is it makes it so much easer to cut them up.

Pin wheeled I can easily fit 8 racks of St. Louis-style ribs on my 18 inch WSM

nzrebel
09-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Dave
You don't need a 22 incher or a rib rack to do 3 racks. In fact I don't much like rib racks I think they are a waste of money and they have a tendency too scrape rub off the ribs.

The best way I have ever seen to do ribs on a vertical smoker such as a WSM is to pin wheel them and secure them with a Bamboo Skewer. This way they get even smoke and heat inside and out, and they don't interrupt the airflow in a vertical smoker such as a WSM nearly as much as laying them flat can.
The Bamboo skewer also makes a excellent handle to flip them so you don't have to manhandle the ribs. The best part is it makes it so much easer to cut them up.

Pin wheeled I can easily fit 8 racks of St. Louis-style ribs on my 18 inch WSM

THIS is why I come here !!

Thanks Slut...

Dave

Smokinrubcom
09-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Awesome looking ribs! I bet they tasted awesome :) Good job!

Mike

landarc
09-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Those look good, I think the best way to improve is to just keep cooking ribs and keeping an open mind about new ways to do them. Personally, I do use rib racks, if i had access to a large smoker, I would do them flat.

Rich Parker
09-02-2009, 01:20 PM
THIS is why I come here !!

Thanks Slut...

Dave

I use the metal ones.

http://www.richardmparker.com/storage/06_25_09_Ribs/Ribs1.jpg