PDA

View Full Version : Semi-annual dove recipe request

Jorge
08-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Every couple of years, I ask for new recipes for dove breasts....something other than bacon and jalapeno....

I just hope there is something to shoot. Birds seem to be pretty thin, and the cold front that came through recently didn't help......

boberosabbq
08-31-2009, 10:47 AM
I tried this last season.

I make Country Fried Dove Steaks.

All you need is a meat tenderizer, I whack the fileted breasts once. Soak in milk overnight. Buttermilk was a bit too stong on the little buggers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roll in whatever seasoned flour you'd like. Fry in a iron skillet til brown I used clairified butter. Make a pan gravy.

Pile em up cover in gravy and serve with mashed taters. And enjoy.

smokehunter
08-31-2009, 11:00 AM
marinating in allegro and italian with bacon is honestly hard to beat but i totally understand getting tired of it. pan frying and doing a red wine reduction with some sliced onions/carrots and putting over rice is really good. another one is just to simply fry and serve with cheese grits and biscuits with plenty of hot sauce to splash around.

Dustaway
08-31-2009, 11:07 AM
8 doves
1 stick melted butter & some to rub on doves inside and out.
2-3 cups cooked rice
seasoning salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp onion salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 stick sweet butter
4 cups white wine
3 ounces brandy
2 tsp cornstarch; dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water

Rub doves inside and out with butter, then season with seasoning salt and pepper.

Mix rice with melted butter, sage, onion salt, and cayenne. Stuff birds with rice mixture.

Melt sweet butter in a large pot, and saute the birds until brown. Add wine and brandy. Cover and simmer slowly for 1 hour. Add dissolved cornstarch to thicken pan juices.

Norcoredneck
08-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Waiting for Cowgirl.... She can cook anything.

Smokey Al Gold
08-31-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm in your neck of the woods and the birds seem pretty scarce. I think this drought is just ruining everything. Last year was a bad one as well. I'm hoping I get some good birds this year.

Smokinrubcom
08-31-2009, 04:18 PM
The doves are here in North Alabama right now but there are no fields ready and the season starts this Saturday. Its labor Day weekend and Im in the meat business so you know what that means - I couldnt go anyways but the weekend after I am going somewhere LOL

Mike

Jorge
08-31-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm in your neck of the woods and the birds seem pretty scarce. I think this drought is just ruining everything. Last year was a bad one as well. I'm hoping I get some good birds this year.

I'm hunting the North Zone tomorrow. I'm not expecting a whole lot of action based on what I've heard. The dogs sure got wound up when I got the shotguns out this afternoon, and took some of their bedding out to the truck!:lol:

bbqfans
08-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Sorry the birds are so skinny down there, darn things are couch potatos up here in Ohio. Fat dudes, and they won't leave.Wish they had a good season on them here:mad:

cowgirl
08-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Waiting for Cowgirl.... She can cook anything.

lol Pat, Thank you, I appreciate your faith in me. :biggrin:

Dove season starts here tomorrow. I'm ready. :)

Here's a dove smoke using jalapeno bacon...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63847

and a venison canadian bacon stuffed with dove...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63847

also a dove sausage that I really l really like...(from my blog)

2.5lbs Dove Meat
4.5lbs Pork Steak
2 tsp. Ground Coriander
4 tsp. Ground Cumin
2 TBS. Ground Black Pepper
4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
2 TBS. Onion Powder
2 TBS Garlic Powder
7 tsp. Tender Quick
1 Cup Ice Cold Beer

Grind meat and set in frig. Mix all dry ingredients in beer and whisk till carbonation is gone. Set in frig for 1 hour whisking every 10 minutes...
Mix meat with beer marinade and put into casings... Make links hand wide about 5 - 6".. Set in frig for the night to cure..Next day smoke till internal temp 155-160*. Cool in cold water bath until temp drops to 100-105* then let dry and bloom at room temp for 2-3 hours. Wrap and freeze..
The things I would change for myself is grind using a 3/16" plate in lieu of the 1/8" (I would like it a bit more coarse). Back the Coriander down to 1 tsp. Cumin down to 3 tsp. Bump up the Onion and Garlic powder to 3 TBS.

I'm not sure why I didn't post the dove sausage here before...

Coach_Mac
08-31-2009, 06:34 PM
8 doves
1 stick melted butter & some to rub on doves inside and out.
2-3 cups cooked rice
seasoning salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp onion salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 stick sweet butter
4 cups white wine
3 ounces brandy
2 tsp cornstarch; dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water

Rub doves inside and out with butter, then season with seasoning salt and pepper.

Mix rice with melted butter, sage, onion salt, and cayenne. Stuff birds with rice mixture.

Melt sweet butter in a large pot, and saute the birds until brown. Add wine and brandy. Cover and simmer slowly for 1 hour. Add dissolved cornstarch to thicken pan juices.

That looks pretty good. I hope to be stuffing 45 of them next week this time.

Jorge
09-02-2009, 02:18 PM
I left with 12 in the morning (a limit is 15 but I was tired of waiting), and didn't get back out in the afternoon. The breasts are in the freezer and I'm hoping to get back out soon for more, so that I can try some of the recipes offered.

Thank you all!

kyle corn
09-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Just got back from two days of hunting in Yuma, Az and it it was ridiculous how many there were. All five of us that were on the trip together got our limits on both days in less than two hours. Yesterday, my dad hit his limit with 20 minutes! There were so many of them it wasn't even fair and we somehow found a field that wasn't full of a bunch of other people. What a great trip, can't wait to cook up some breasts!

Hugh Jorgan
09-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Sheesh, we used to only have a one day hunt. Now it's a lot longer, starts Saturday. Maybe that's why there are so many of them. I don't know if I'm gonna shoot or not. I put out some bait just in case. Hope there's no game wardens on here.

Saiko
09-02-2009, 07:48 PM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/mredman62/Misc/dove.jpg

countyliner
09-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Dove season opens Saturday.

Gonna try Cowgirl's dove sausage along with the standard grilled dove/jalap/bacon wraps.

I added some crumbled bleu cheese to the wraps last year. Had a very nice twang.

Midnight Smoke
09-08-2009, 12:24 PM
I could get my limit in my backyard. Fat little Doves that love cat food.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/photolinks/Picture3586.jpg

midnight
09-08-2009, 01:17 PM
I buy 2 boxes of corn bread stuffing and prepare as per directions on box. Before cooking I mix in 3 cups of diced uncooked dove breasts. Put all in a large baking pan and cook per directions on box of stuffing. Serve with cream gravey over top.

The moisture in the stuffing will keep the dove from drying out. I usually make this as a side dish to go along with creamed pheasant. If you want it as a main meal you could leave the dove breasts whole and just tuck into the stuffing mix.