PDA

View Full Version : Pork Shoulder

sluvsmore
08-31-2009, 08:01 AM
The bride called me from windixie to tell me they had pork butts on sale cheap. (she actualy listened when I said I'd like to try one in the new U.D.S.):roll: What she came home with though is a shoulder. I've searched the site and can't find much info on what to do with this about 9 lbs peice of meat. Can I get some help from the the breathern?

EatonHoggBBQ
08-31-2009, 08:07 AM
Pork butt, shoulder is the same thing..........Cook it :biggrin:

jonboy
08-31-2009, 08:11 AM
You have a world of options, none of which are wrong.
You can,
inject with apple juice and rub,

slather with mustard and rub,

rub with your favorite flavor or home made,

cook at 220-250, indirect, for 1 hour per pound or until temp hits 200-205 and pull
I havent used a uds so someone else can better answer cooking method and times.
jon

gtsum
08-31-2009, 08:27 AM
cook just like a butt..there are different muscles in the shoulder, and I prefer butts myself, but I just cooked a shoulder on Saturday as they were on sale

CraigC
08-31-2009, 08:31 AM
I treat the shoulder (picnic) like a butt, same rub, mop (if used) with a little more cooking time. I remove the skin and trim the fat layer some, if it's gonna get smoked. However, if you want to try it Cuban style, with out a Caja China, set your charcoal grill up for indirect cooking. Buy some mojo criollo and inject it! You'll have to strain the mojo to get the garlic and spices out of the liquid. I keep the strained bits to add to the garlic and spice paste I rub it with. Get 3 heads worth of garlic cloves peeled and smashed. You can use the flat of a chefs knife or a molcajete to make the paste. Besides salt, I add dried oregano and thyme to the paste and then rub it over the injected shoulder. Keep the skin on and cook low and slow with the skin side up. The skin will get golden brown and crispy by the end of cooking time. Use a drip pan underneath the shoulder. If you want a real treat, about 3 hours before you anticipate it being done, add some peeled carrots and peeled, quartered onions to the drip pan. Add some cleaned red skin potatoes about 2 hours before completion. The drippings will flavor the vegis, umm!:mrgreen: The leftover meat can be used in Cuban sandwiches!

Craig

sluvsmore
08-31-2009, 08:31 AM
That will work. seems to be alot of fat on top should that be taken off or sliced through before rubbing?

Norcoredneck
08-31-2009, 09:04 AM
Is it fat or skin? Any chance of pics?

Lake Dogs
08-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Shoulder *should* be both the picnic and the butt altogether. Cooks same as a butt.
9lbs is 9lbs, largely. Some pull skin back from picnic; others dont. Your choice really.
Rub it up & go.

sluvsmore
08-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Pretty sure its skin now that you mention it. Thanks so much for all the great info I am going to try to figure out how to post pics after this weekend if all goes well we will try for first time pron. If not assume it went great LOL

Bigmofo300lbs
08-31-2009, 02:47 PM
"I like big Butts and I cannot lie!"

The boys said it all. Post the pics.

BBQ Bandit
08-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Pork (picnic) shoulders are very easy and very forgiving...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=206&pictureid=1446

GridironGriller
08-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Most butts here are between 8 - 10lbs so it's unlikely you have a full shoulder. You still have one of the ends...either butt of picnic.

barbefunkoramaque
08-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Once you get the skin off... make The Shake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMCyXZ-49Q)