PDA

View Full Version : High Heat Brisket on the UDS

helljack6
08-27-2009, 01:19 PM
OMG, a full 14.5lb packer brisket done in 3 hours and 45 minutes!!! It was moist, juicy and the most tender brisket anyone's ate to date (I as the cook didin't get but maybe a sliver or two of it). It went, ALL of it, in under 10 minutes!!!

RECAP:
Started the UDS at 8am and immediately laid packer brisket already seasoned with Fatboy rub onto the grate. Left the lid off until the internal temp hit 200 (started with 15 ashed over Kingsford Original coals). Put the lid on and waited until the temp hit 350 on the dial therm, locked it in and walked away. Came back at 10:30 and foiled using a layer on the top and on the bottom crimping the edges and folding them over twice to retain exuded liquids (about 2.5 cups is what I ended up with). Put it back in the UDS and walked away. Came back at 11:30 and poked a hole in the top of the foil and used a Meat Therm to both Temp and test for tenderness. NOT paying attention to the temp, the probe slide in to the top of the flat about 1/4 inch with mild resistance. Put the lid back on and let it sit for another 10 minutes or so (internal temp when I glanced at the temp probe was 190+ as my dial meat therm only goes to 190). Smoked a cig and pulled off the UDS at 11:45, took the whole grate on top of a food tray right up to the kitchen. Let it rest for 15 minutes then unwrapped one end of the foil and drained the juices. Started cutting into it and it literally fell away like butter, and the knife wasn't as sharp as I wanted thinking I would need to have it sharper! Cut it all the way through the point and it WENT FAST. I literally had people standing in line just eatting and handing back an empty plate for more.

Conclusion:
This being the first time i've done a high heat brisket in the UDS, this ROCKED, period! Further testiment that slow and low isn't the only way to go when you have a time line you're trying to adhere to. Sure beats long overnight cooks!

motley que
08-27-2009, 01:26 PM
I like the slow high combo on my drum

helljack6
08-27-2009, 02:01 PM
I like the slow high combo on my drum

Slow and low combo? Please expand on that?

smoke it if ya got it
08-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Just finished a UDS going to try a Brisket and a pork butt this weekend stay tuned for pictures

barbefunkoramaque
08-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Hey! Helljack, glad you liked it!

landarc
08-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Someone on here mentioned doing brisket starting at 260 or 270 to start and then raising temp after an hour once the smoke phase was done. I did this with the last brisket I did and it was terrific. Took more like 4.5 hours, but it was juicy, tender and had just the right smoke. And I like the idea of a 4 hour-ish brisket.

I so not like not getting a decent serving out of food that I cook, the family knows that.

helljack6
08-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Someone on here mentioned doing brisket starting at 260 or 270 to start and then raising temp after an hour once the smoke phase was done. I did this with the last brisket I did and it was terrific. Took more like 4.5 hours, but it was juicy, tender and had just the right smoke. And I like the idea of a 4 hour-ish brisket.

I so not like not getting a decent serving out of food that I cook, the family knows that.

It's ok, I cook/smoke enough between work and home that I always have some somewhere. I was doing this more for a morale thing for the maintainers here in the facility I work in. Since my job is less than demanding at times, and even way more so than the aircraft maintainers who put in 12hr days, the best thing I can do is ensure that they get good eats to keep them motivated.

chambersuac
08-27-2009, 02:49 PM
helljack, congrats on your high heat brisket. I'm thinking of trying one soon. Did you get any pictures?

helljack6
08-27-2009, 03:04 PM
helljack, congrats on your high heat brisket. I'm thinking of trying one soon. Did you get any pictures?

I have pictures however I won't be able to upload until tomorrow evening due to my job.

One note: Bark development does NOT occur using this method, but the meat overall is phenominal!

Bigmista
08-27-2009, 03:17 PM
I might be doing some high heat briskets this weekend.

jswordy
08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Hey, helljack, this is really great, and thanks. One question: All you used was 15 coals total? That is a mighty small coal pile, so I am checking to be sure.

I sure wish you had some pix!

Bigmista, it is totally cool to me that you can be so into this thing still, even though you are cranking out mass poundage of meat every week. Inspiring!

helljack6
08-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Hey, helljack, this is really great, and thanks. One question: All you used was 15 coals total? That is a mighty small coal pile, so I am checking to be sure.

I sure wish you had some pix!

Bigmista, it is totally cool to me that you can be so into this thing still, even though you are cranking out mass poundage of meat every week. Inspiring!

I used 15 coals ashed over to fire off my UDS. My coal basket is 16" diameter by 8" tall and was loaded, to which I added the 15 coals. Threw on several chunks of Apple and Cherry wood and let it ride.

helljack6
08-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Got a friend from another site to post pictures for me, go here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=349078#post349078

Sorry for the bad picture quality, my camera is on the fritz and I need a replacement.

Garth57
08-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I might be doing some high heat briskets this weekend.

I know a local tester that is ready to try the finished product.