PDA

View Full Version : Hunting for 55 gal drum - NY area

Ksmoker1
08-27-2009, 09:06 AM
First post here. I too am a newbie to the brethren. What an awesome site! I can't tell you how much I've learned throught the forum.

I've been working on a recently aquired char griller off set with all the mods. It's been a great so far. Unfortunately, due to all the great info here I'm now on a serious mission to build a UDS. You could say I'm obsessed!

I was wondering if anyone knows of good source for the perfect 55 drum in the area. I'm checking out a scrap metal yard near by later today.

Any suggestions?:confused:

Thanks for all the great info here!!!

Skip
08-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Did you go to cattle call and introduce yourself?

Welcome to the brethren. I might have a line on a drum for you but keep looking on your side. I will check.

Ksmoker1
08-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Yikes! I didn't hit the cattle call with an intro. I'm on it now.
Thanks Skip!

Lake Dogs
08-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Check out the Sales/Ventures Area. Lots of posts there, craigslist, etc.

hammerz_nailz
08-27-2009, 07:32 PM
They have brand new unlined drums in North Haven CT here but are expensive:

http://www.yankeecontainers.com/Steel-Drums-Open-Top.html

biggs98
08-27-2009, 11:30 PM
$30 can get you a food grade drum used to hold corn syrup. Only thing is that they have the liner in them that has to come out. The name of the place is Trade Fair Hardware in Amityville, NY. It's located on Sunrise Hwy. I've been looking all over myself and its the only place I've found. I also would be checking craigslist as well. Hope this helps. Good Luck

Ksmoker1
08-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Is it hard to remove the liner on these? Thnaks for the help!

$30 can get you a food grade drum used to hold corn syrup. Only thing is that they have the liner in them that has to come out. The name of the place is Trade Fair Hardware in Amityville, NY. It's located on Sunrise Hwy. I've been looking all over myself and its the only place I've found. I also would be checking craigslist as well. Hope this helps. Good Luck

biggs98
08-28-2009, 08:37 AM
I had to do 2 burnouts and use the wire wheel/brush along with some elbow grease. If you have the time and don't mind the work its ok.