PDA

View Full Version : Closed top drums for UDS??

Philly-QueMaster
08-20-2009, 01:49 PM
What does everyone think of using a closed top drum for making a UDS? Is it worth the trouble of cutting the top off and tryng to fabricate a lid? I'm having trouble finding an open top drum for my UDS. I can get closed top drums for free from my friend who owns a mechanics shop. I think they contain motor oil....should I avoid them? I wish I had a good source for open top drums. Makes life much easier. Does anyone have some pictures of their build process using a closed top drum??

Thanks,
Patrick

Mark
08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
No problems Pat. Lots of us used closed head drums so go for it but you need to find an old Weber kettle lid or a clone thereof. Lots of options for cutting open the lid too. Read a while.

ComputerMike
08-20-2009, 03:03 PM
I used a closed top drum for my first UDS. Works fine, more work to build but works fine.

Crüe-B-Cüe
08-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Luckily I have a drum deheader, so it only takes a minute or two to pop those babies open.

Norcoredneck
08-20-2009, 04:56 PM
It's what I use now.

SmokeWatcher
08-20-2009, 05:43 PM
I used a metal-cutting blade on my circular saw to chop the top, makes a nice clean cut. The Weber kettle lid fits right on it too. Oil drums are easier to use than others because of the lack of a liner, and the oil residue will burn out easily.

Philly-QueMaster
08-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks everyone...I think I will give it a shot. I already have a 22.5 weber kettle so I can use the lid from that. I just won't be able to use both at the same time.

Norco you used closed top drums now? Any particular reason why? Have any pics of your builds?

bacardi2001
08-20-2009, 06:32 PM
What does everyone think of using a closed top drum for making a UDS? Is it worth the trouble of cutting the top off and tryng to fabricate a lid? I'm having trouble finding an open top drum for my UDS. I can get closed top drums for free from my friend who owns a mechanics shop. I think they contain motor oil....should I avoid them? I wish I had a good source for open top drums. Makes life much easier. Does anyone have some pictures of their build process using a closed top drum??

Thanks,
Patrick

get as many as you can cause i still cant get any!!!!!!!!

Philly-QueMaster
08-20-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm sure I can get as many as I want since my friends owns the mechanic shop. I'm also trying to get some from my brother-in-law who works for a company that uses them to dispose of saw dust.

Pat

cwiese
08-21-2009, 08:39 AM
What is better to cook with if you had a choice a weber lid or the drum lid with the 12 holes?

Teleking
08-21-2009, 08:59 AM
What is better to cook with if you had a choice a weber lid or the drum lid with the 12 holes?

IMO a Weber lid as it allows for more cooking grates and space. I use the flat lid to snuff the fire and save fuel.

JD McGee
08-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Its all I use...:-P

cwiese
08-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Weber lid it is than Thanks for the input