PDA

View Full Version : grillin on the WSM

jdub
08-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I have never done it! Seems like a great way to do chicken a foot or so off the fire (I used to have a Hasty Bake that turned out Beautiful bird cause you could crank the fire down and away)-I have put the grate on the fire ring and seared steaks, but never the low n slow. Who has done it? I will do it tomorrow night and post some pics, but I am optimistic.

Hell its barbeque, I'm always optimistic:-P

Bill-Chicago
08-10-2009, 09:48 PM
I've made burgers two or twenty times over the years while I'm cleaning up the patio/smokers the day after a cook.

I burn off whats left of the charcoal and wood chunks from the cookers

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/Willkat98/100_1108.jpg

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/Willkat98/100_1107.jpg

jdub
08-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I lit the wsm by the book (for the first time ever), a thin layer of coals on the grate and dump alit chimney full on top. water pan and saucer out, thighs on the top grate.
Very good fire for cooking bird!! Just high enough to keep the burn off, low enough to crisp the skin-I ran the fire a little slow this first time and didn't get the reallly crisp stuff, but I could tell it would be no problem.
Notes if you want to try it (you should):
I used K briqs, lump would be better.
The fire/temp responds very well to moving the vents. I ran the three vents at about 2/3rds closed. Half open next time.
Opening the top is tricky, the fire and the grease spark up real quick, but they die real quick too when you cover up.
About 35 minutes to done for 8 thighs.
Didn't get it perfect, but I could tell that it will be no problem.
Very much worth a try!

tommykendall
08-11-2009, 07:54 PM
I do it just like ChiBill all the time. Weber Egg Mod.

Saiko
08-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Both methods mentioned work fine on the WSM. Bill's method is better for searing and getting grill marks for steaks and burgers, while your method of using the top grate and removing the water pan works also, especially for chicken.