PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Smoker Question

SlugBug
08-10-2009, 12:04 PM
I am thinking of building my own insulated vertical smoker. I am thinking of a simple box within a box with insulation between the walls. What tricks are there to reduce the amount of contact between the walls so that the transfer of heat from the inner firebox to the outer firebox is minimized? I would like to paint the exterior something other than firebox black. Any help is greatly appreciated. Regards.

seattlepitboss
08-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Make the sides of your inner box longer than the front/back by the thickness of your insulation. Now when you weld the inner box walls together (ignoring the top/bottom for the moment) if you look down on it you will see ears in the front and back. Lay your box on its front. Cut insulation to fit, and put it between the ears. Now take the back of your outer box and lay it over the ears, and do a fillet weld to the ear on each exposed side. You have just built a box with a double back, fully insulated.

That's the idea. It will need refining to build a whole box.

I might fire the thing up unpainted to see how hot it will get. My guess is that it will still be too hot for regular enamel, even insulated as much as you can get it.

If having two steel ears per side still gives you too much thermal conductiviity, you will have to go to ceramic standoffs of some kind.

metalmagpie

1FUNVET
08-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Header paint from auto parts house is good to 1200 degrees, and it does come in colors.