PDA

View Full Version : Small Disclaimer about the Weep Method of doing ribs

barbefunkoramaque
08-05-2009, 07:07 PM
A friend just asked me a question about the weep method and I have been thinking about it.

Now I realize this may cause some problems and I really don;t talk about something new to others unless there is a video. The video usually gives a person a direct guideline to go by. The Video was shot this spring and was done by me impersonating Tony Montana for dramatic reasons and someone threw out the HUGE plate of bones for the "is this all there is man? eating? drinking? farking? sarking? and for what? so gew can't point your farking finbger and say look man, he da bad guy!" Well also, the video of the weep was not as detailed as I wanted (there is a certain frothy look to the weep I wanted to get on film).

I am wondering whether I should even open my mouth about the weep method because there are few that use it and most of those that do either have large rotisseries even bigger than mine, or static reverse pits like my 7000 lbs brazos. I never thought about this until a few minutes ago someone said something about ceramics. Now a little weber grill will lose its heat fast but a ceramic, especially if you cleanly loaded it you might have problems.

The weep method is done like this in my smoker. I smoke my ribs (and yes my rub is more elaborate than listed on here) hot and fast and somewhere between 3 and 5 hours they begin to weep, first around the edges then the whole thing' all over. That is when I shut my dampers, shut even my stacks and choke out the fire.... More on this later.

I maybe wait about 30 minutes to an hour before I pull them and either serve or rest.

For instance, I make sure before this point I have a clean fire and a fire so clean that shutting the dampers (this is an old Steamship term for closing both the vents and exhaust to choke out a coal fire) will not cause undo creosote smoldering. In other words... just before I check, I start stoking the fire and turning in any unburned fuel so it can make sure all I have is coals.... so in essence no bark, no wood that is not well blackened. If you have a charcoal fire I suppose you will need to poke those unburned briquets in the fire.

The second problem for the novice is.... over checking.... The purpose ot the whole thing is to get the ribs to that weep point as quick and efficient as possible without a loss of moisture. So constant checking for the weep woudl cause a couple of problems, one it would stop or reverse the weep if you keep letting too much cold air in, and also lose the moisture.

I have been doing it so long this way that guess what I use to KNOW without looking whether the ribs are weeping or not... sound! The sound of the juices dripping and sizzling.

Now on my Meat Mama 3000, the heat source is kinda to the rear a bit but I can hear some... but on the Brazos the diverter plate is right underneath the grate so its VERY accurate. On an offset.... there is no sound at all. On a ceramic I don't know, On a little weber, if the drip pan is empty it should make a sound.

Then there's temp.... If you don't smoke hot and fast the weep will happen but you won't hear nothin'.

I have decided that this method, which works great for old timers with big units (i said big units) may not work at all for smaller smokers.

HOWEVER

HOWEVER

HOWEVER

Maybe it can - just not like I do it because a rib cooked hot and fast until it sweats and the smallest rib turns in its meat can happen in anyone's smoker, I am just not sure about the choking out.

On my units, choke out the fire and the unit goes quickly down about 100 degrees and then slowly lowers.

Yakfishingfool
08-05-2009, 07:35 PM
By weeping do you mean similar to a draining pustular wound or that the ribs weep over like a weeping willow....hard to tell. Scott

barbefunkoramaque
08-05-2009, 08:07 PM
the first one

barbefunkoramaque
08-05-2009, 08:08 PM
no they weep from their pores.... all over, then begin dripping...

Not typically notice when slathered, mopped or foiled

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-05-2009, 08:25 PM
i'll say it works in an egg with a drip pan. i can hear the weep in the pan when they are just about done. look at the drip pan in the first photo.

if i am reading you correctly, these are weeping

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/pork/ribsbpp-086.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/pork/ribsbpp-087.jpg

no mop, no sop, no foil, nothing but rub, so all that moisture is coming out of the pores. i call it pork honey. butts do it too, but i still call it pork honey. :biggrin:

am i close?

edit: probably not. those are definately not frothy. oh well, they were still good.

Bushwacker
08-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Now those are some nice looking ribs. I usualy look at the bones to see how much they stick out and then stick a fork in em to check for tenderness, but I'm only cooking for the homestead here.

barbefunkoramaque
08-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Oh my god why do i try... yes, pork honey, why have we not talked about this before... oh yes... I am not due to release the video until end of august. yeah, these are weeping but not frothy... but that can be my rub though... what temp do you use? You know what I mean by the "froth?"

i'll say it works in an egg with a drip pan. i can hear the weep in the pan when they are just about done. look at the drip pan in the first photo.

if i am reading you correctly, these are weeping

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/pork/ribsbpp-086.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/pork/ribsbpp-087.jpg

no mop, no sop, no foil, nothing but rub, so all that moisture is coming out of the pores. i call it pork honey. butts do it too, but i still call it pork honey. :biggrin:

am i close?

edit: probably not. those are definately not frothy. oh well, they were still good.

blues_n_cues
08-05-2009, 09:13 PM
looks great & the method may be awesome but i personally stick to my 6 hour method over skeet,persimmom or peach & pecan,
i don't mind sweating over the beers & customers- it's just what they like & what i'm used too.
besides- it keeps the wife away longer....:twisted:

barbefunkoramaque
08-05-2009, 09:13 PM
no need to poke.... that left most rib on the second rack, that't the one you test once the "bend is right" You can see the Bend on my video here.

you will note some bend all the way, some bend part of the way, some get reversed to cook the thicker end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01EAArFMVRY

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Oh my god why do i try... yes, pork honey, why have we not talked about this before... oh yes... I am not due to release the video until end of august. yeah, these are weeping but not frothy... but that can be my rub though... what temp do you use? You know what I mean by the "froth?"

these might have been lower temp than what you are talking about, maybe 250-300. i'm not sure i know what the froth is. :biggrin:

landarc
08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
I may have seen it sometimes. It is almost like when you spill beer foam on the table. But finer in texture. And it comes out in spots, not like a rabid dog, so much as just a ephemeral things, there and gone.

BobBrisket
08-05-2009, 10:28 PM
By froth are you referring to the redish/grayish stuff that is basically cooked out blood. A lot like the stuff you see come out of salmon when you plank it. It's also the same froth you see when you boil let's say chicken for chicken soup. It's that grayish matter that floats to the top. Am I right? Usually the froth comes out first as it's blood and then the weep(fat/oil) follows as the temp of the meat gets a bit higher. I never knew I was using this process till now. That's basically how I cook up chicken parts, hot, then shut down the vents and let it finish cooking with the residual heat that's left. Makes sense cause farking chicken it always tender, juicy.

Dale P
08-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Great looking ribs Rick. Excellent.

Northwoods Smoke
08-05-2009, 10:37 PM
What is your target temp for hot and fast ribs?

Greg60525
08-06-2009, 12:02 AM
On an offset.... there is no sound at all.

I have an offset with tuning plates..............those plates get pretty hot. Do you think you would hear the sizziling in this case?

Thanks,

BobBrisket
08-06-2009, 12:58 AM
I know this.............I'm weeping like a baby cause I wish I had one of Ricks Racks in front of me right now!:lol:

Hugh Jorgan
08-06-2009, 01:57 AM
So what? I don't get it, you just rub them with salt and start cooking when they start crying?

Northwoods Smoke
08-06-2009, 03:47 AM
My favorite rib cooking music is Blue Oyster Cult... "Don't fear the weeper".

"I need more Pig Honey, Babe!"

Hugh Jorgan
08-06-2009, 04:09 AM
I like to listen, as I'm smoking, to BOC's "She's as Beautiful as a Foot". Smoked pig's feet are righteous.

No kidding, "The Last Days of May" still almost makes me cry every time. It's not as cool when you've lived it.

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-06-2009, 05:19 AM
So what? I don't get it, you just rub them with salt and start cooking when they start crying?

read the first post again. maybe three or four times until you get it.

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-06-2009, 05:30 AM
You know what I mean by the "froth?"

this looks kind of froth-like, eh?

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/appetizers/foureggfatties-002.jpg

when fattys foam, they are past done.

Fastball
08-06-2009, 09:15 AM
My favorite rib cooking music is Blue Oyster Cult... "Don't fear the weeper".

"I need more Pig Honey, Babe!"

HEHEHE!

"I got a fever!....and the only prescription....is more pig honey!"

barbefunkoramaque
08-06-2009, 09:22 AM
I love that skit

Hugh Jorgan
08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
read the first post again. maybe three or four times until you get it.

I was just joking around. Lol. Sticking a fork in the Funkmaster.

bbq ron
08-07-2009, 06:10 AM
RTD, you have done it again. this just isn't fair cause i can't mine to look as good as yours :-P:-P

Brewmaster
08-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Can you go more into why you shut down the dampers? What are you try to accomplish by doing that? Are you trying to keep a moist environment for the last part of the cook?

Thanks,
Nate

Divemaster
08-07-2009, 08:01 AM
I do basically the same thing on my Lang and yes, I can hear it hit the plate. I've also heard it on the BGE but no as much...

Rick, that's a couple of great looking slabs my friend. You practicing for the next Bash?

barbefunkoramaque
08-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Can you go more into why you shut down the dampers? What are you try to accomplish by doing that? Are you trying to keep a moist environment for the last part of the cook?

Thanks,
Nate

Sure and once again... I have only experience on the big pits.

I assume you understand the Weep method as far as what is happening to the Ribs when they reach that stage. They are releasing their "honey" which is a combination of mostly fats and collagen.

Now If I keep, Hard Cooking them (keep doing the 325 degree thang) then they will start giving up their water... which we don't want.

Now there are rules.

As I stated before, once you know you ARE getting close to this point either by timing it -(which is not that good a method except for basic times you need to be monitoring it) or my looking, which you need to really limit this peeking as it STOPs the process, you need to be reallly concerned about your fire.

You do not want any partially unburned crap in there. A segment of unburned log that in an open vent environment would cause no problem, will cause a great problem if you let it smolder that way.

I suggest more peeking at the fire than the pit... so arrange those coals, or open the firechamber door and let the guru or stoker blast that fire and burn up everything until you get a bed of glowing coals and nothing else.

Now once you notice the ribs are weeping you quickly close off the vents 100% or shut off the stoker or guru, and cap or shut down the top vents.

Now if you timed it right you will have gotten the ribs JJUUUUUUUSSSTTTT to that point if weeping and you will dial it back and guess what happens,,, they weep a while more then as they cool they suck in all the moisture slowly....

This would not happen if you just pulled them out and let them rest. They would cool to quickly. I also think they take on that slightly undefinable yet descernable funk on your pit when its all locked up like that.

Remember... this is for the Hot and fast method. There is no data I know of to being applied to the 3 2 1 (which I can't imagine it would help) or with glazed ribs. I have not put much thought into this but I would conjecture that it might replace some of the elements of a lower slower method (this is the theory that the ribs sweat more than once [like three times] and draw in flavors this way when you are not foiling). Maybe it just does it all at once, weeps lot then draws back a lot.

The point of the shutdown is to maybe get the low and slow where it does the best work. Remember the theory that the upward IT climb of a brisket is not as important as what happens when it reaches that weeping stage. Sort of like that. Of course I am not talking aboue grilling the briskewt all the way. But I have noticed I have seen Briskets grilled 45 minutes then slow smoked at 220 and they were as good as a brisket thrown in a 350 degree pit then rested a long while. The point is when you reach that weeping point (i can hear it- I use sound) you better dial it back or slow it down.

So the rins get to that point and we don't disturb their environment but we dial down the temp to choke out.

Another point..... setting back the temp quickly to say 200 from 325 doesn't do it either.

I think.... what happens is when you notice the ribs are weeping you quickly shut the door, and then shut down the pit all the way and the temp curves arcs down slowly allowing the drawing in process to last a long time. The meat being the hottest body for the rest of the time in the pit as the pit temp goes down.

Brewmaster
08-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Like this?? :biggrin:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i266/ngrodeon/listen.jpg

barbefunkoramaque
08-07-2009, 02:38 PM
gosh that was before I put the shelf on the front

Like this?? :biggrin:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i266/ngrodeon/listen.jpg