PDA

View Full Version : Center Cut Boneless Pork Loin

smokehunter
07-30-2009, 10:20 AM
My local shop has them for $1.99/lb which seems pretty fair to me... I sliced some off for pork chops last night and seemed pretty lean. I thinking i'll smoke the other one on the WSM this weekend. should i worry about it drying out or should I inject it or wrap in bacon etc..? what do you guys think?

Ron_L
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Injecting and bacon wrapping can't hurt :-D You can also brine it to help it retain moisture. Cook it to an internal temp of 145 and let it rest for 20 minutes or so under a tent of foil and you'll be fine.

Learnin Querve
07-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Brining them would be my first choice. Makes for a tender, juicy chop.

This one is from Alton Brown; it's a good, basic pork chop brine. I use it a lot. Try it once, then add additions as you like. I usually give it a generous shot of hot sauce, Worcestershire, some garlic, and maybe some lemon juice.

2 C cider vinegar
1 C kosher salt (I've used 3/4 C table salt in a pinch)
1 C brown sugar
1 T dry mustard
1 T whole peppercorns
1 pound of ice (about 3 cups is close if you're using cubes)

Heat vinegar in the microwave, hot enough to dissolve the brown sugar. I do this in an plastic ice cream pail with a lid. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to dissolve. Let sit for about ten minutes, add the ice and stir or shake to cool thoroughly. The ice doesn't have to be completely melted.

I like to pierce my chops pretty heavily on both sides with a fork before they go into the brine.

Add the chops, make sure they're covered with brine, cover and refrigerate for about two hours. Remove chops, rinse well, and pat dry. Discard brine. Let the chops come to room temp before cooking.

Don't overcook, chops only need to come to about 140 internal, and be sure to let them rest before serving.

Chris

smokehunter
07-30-2009, 12:49 PM
sounds good. i guess i'll just brine the whole loin and poke holes and smoke it whole.

jswordy
07-30-2009, 01:24 PM
FWIW, I have eaten a bunch of those center-cut chops on the grill with no special treatment, never had a problem with juiciness. They are cheap and yummy.

NCGuy68
07-30-2009, 03:25 PM
^^^ Agreeed ^^^

1FUNVET
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Just about anything wrapped in bacon is good.

motley que
07-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Just butterflyed one. Stuffed with roasted red peppers and wrapped in bacon

jawquin
07-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Pork Loin is good any way you prep it. Heck just take it out of the wrapper and throw it on a smoker at 225 and yank at 140 to 145 internal and rest a while. It's better than candy and it's on sale at this week 1.69 a lb. :icon_clown