PDA

View Full Version : Texas 1015 Onion Rings Part 2 (Thanks KcQuer!)

Bill-Chicago
07-28-2009, 07:33 PM
I finally got around to cutting up the second 1015 onion FatDad sent me.

You might recall THE FIRST ONION RING THREAD (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63257&highlight=onion+rings) in which I used cowgirl's batter (but did not smoke the rings first like she did)

This time around, I used a general batter recipe in the Road Map thread in QTalk about frying all sorts of things.

e wrote into the thread with this one:

Bill, here is my mom's "good for anything" batter recipe. I'm pretty sure she got it from an Argo corn starch box.

3/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup water
1 slightly beaten egg

Stir it all up and fry away. Real good on pepper rings, mushrooms, chicken nuggets, fish etc. I usually spice it up a bit over what the recipe calls for, figure you were on that already. I have also added a 1/4 cup of corn meal and enough water to get proper consistency back and made corn dogs.

I followed this pretty closely, added a bit more water to loosen the batter, than a tad more flour (since I added too much water).

My original thread had someone suggesting 1/4 cup corn starch to make cowgirls recipe a little crispier. As you can see, e's batter was triple crunch and it was perfect for onion rings.

A slight dusting of Tony C's right out of the pan and they were phenominal. Would look and taste much better in submersion fryer, I did in a 1/2" of light EVOO in a skillet.

Thanks Scott, you came through for me again!!

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/Willkat98/100_1602.jpg

Big George's BBQ
07-28-2009, 08:00 PM
I love onion rings. They look pretty close to perfect. Wanted to eat my screen What are 1015 onions. Never heard of them until your two threads

spacingtool
07-28-2009, 08:06 PM
1015 are onions that need to be sown before oct. 15th

Bill-Chicago
07-28-2009, 08:44 PM
I love onion rings. They look pretty close to perfect. Wanted to eat my screen What are 1015 onions. Never heard of them until your two threads

1015 are onions that need to be sown before oct. 15th Pretty good definition.

Here's JGH with the full write up

Yep, 1015's developed by the A&M Extension service in Weslaco, TX. The city of Weslaco(W. E. Stewart LAnd COmpany) holds OnionFest every year in late mar/early April. The 1015 is the date when the onions need to be planted. They are harvested in early spring.

FYI, it rarely gets below freezing in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. BTW, the RGV is the only Valley with no mountains. Purely a marketing term used to sell land in the early 1900's. Sounds better than Rio Grande Desert.

Edit, just an FYI, here the Woodpile thread I started when these two monster onions showed up!:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62843&highlight=1015

Learnin Querve
07-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Love the 1015 onions ...Wish I could grow them here.

Unfortunately, they only appear on the store shelves for a short time in late spring.

Chris