PDA

View Full Version : Fruit wood in SE PA?

westernhunter
07-25-2009, 01:55 AM
All I seem to find is Hickory and Mesquite at Lowes or similar stores. I am looking for some fruit wood to smoke with. I am using two UDS's so chunks are best, but I will cut and split if needed.

So does anyone know where to get cherry, apple, peach, oak, pecan, or other fruit woods near Philadelphia?

Thanks!!

Rylos1
07-25-2009, 05:25 AM
I am a little north in Northampton County, but the local Lowes has apple chips and Ace Hardware I have found cherry.

smokestack
07-25-2009, 06:54 AM
I used to work in the allentown area- just west are a bunch of old orchards and some that are still in business - good place to contact for the trimmings-mostly apple and peach orchards

Rylos1
07-25-2009, 07:03 AM
Well that helps me out, I'll have to contact them. Thanks for the info smokestack! Don't know if the OP would want to travel that far.

Cigarbque
07-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Fred's Music & BBQ is in Reading and you can get what you want there. Not really that far if you make a 1/2 day trip out of it.

smokestack
07-25-2009, 07:46 AM
and you could also make a stop at Cabelas in Hamburg for more goodies

Saiko
07-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Use the ship to store option at Do It Best Hardware. I checked the store locator, and there are a couple stores with the ship to store option within 10 miles of your zipcode:
http://doitbest.com/StoreLocator.dib

You order the wood online, they ship it to the store, and call you when it arrives and you go pick it up. Don't have to pay any shipping that way. They have 10 lb bags of apple and cherry for $8.49 a bag.
http://doitbest.com/4294967106-Grill+Flavoring_+Spices_+and+Sauces.dib

I use them all the time in my area. Make sure you order the chunks and not the chips. They used to have pecan on their online store, but I don't see it anymore.

westernhunter
07-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys!

Saiko....great link!!!

I ordered 10 lbs each of apple, cherry, pecan, hickory, mesquite, and 40 lbs of Royal Oak briquettes all shipped (no charge "store to store") for just $56.14.

Not bad at all.......thanks again guys.