PDA

View Full Version : fatty with turkey sausage?

LT72884
07-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Need to cut back on certain foods and DR says i need to loose weight since i just found out that i was born with a spinal disorder. So i have to drop 30 pounds.

I wanna make a chub away fatty using ground turkey sausage. Any one try this with good results?

thanx

Matt

Single Fin Smoker
07-20-2009, 02:03 AM
Bro- I've done it, and its pretty good. I don't know if theres anyway of getting around drying out the ground turkey. Maybe a higher temp, quicker cook. I've also smoked some stuffed bell peppers that were to die for.
I hope it works out for you.

Fin

Grillman
07-20-2009, 02:35 AM
I'm not sure it it will work out properly...but it may be worth a try.
If you have high blood pressure...or just want to keep the Turkey
Sausage from drying out.
Brine it first, overnight....If you need to cut back on SALT for health
reasons...use some other spices for flavor.
Use a teaspoon of Salt, some granulated Garlic, a good dash of
Franks Red Hot sauce...and any other spices you like; without salt.

Brine it overnight then mix in some Sage, and a small amount of
Panko Bread Crumbs....they will help to hold some moisture in it.

Cook it to 155-160 degrees; then pull it off, but; leave your thermometer
in the Fatty....if you pull the thermometer out to soon ....it will leak
juice like "Old Faithful" in Yellowstone.

LT72884
07-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure it it will work out properly...but it may be worth a try.
If you have high blood pressure...or just want to keep the Turkey
Sausage from drying out.
Brine it first, overnight....If you need to cut back on SALT for health
reasons...use some other spices for flavor.
Use a teaspoon of Salt, some granulated Garlic, a good dash of
Franks Red Hot sauce...and any other spices you like; without salt.

Brine it overnight then mix in some Sage, and a small amount of
Panko Bread Crumbs....they will help to hold some moisture in it.

Cook it to 155-160 degrees; then pull it off, but; leave your thermometer
in the Fatty....if you pull the thermometer out to soon ....it will leak
juice like "Old Faithful" in Yellowstone.

Thanx guys

Ya, my spinal canal didnt finish forming when i was younger and the last two years my back has been hurtin like a mofo. So i went in for a MRI and they found the problem. I can go in for either surgery or cortizone injections every 6 months.. Doc says swimming 2 times a week will really help.

Any way back to the fatty. Im gonna try it and see what happens. I dont have a fatty piston yet but i figure tin foil can accomplish the same thing, for now, maybe, till i get one. Im thinikn a good mixture of roasted peppers and feta cheese

Opusfxd
07-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Last week I did a couple 'fattys' with ground chicken that turned out real good and not dried out at all. I did one 'cordon bleu' and the other 'hawaiian'. Coworkers ate them up quick.

mranum
07-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Where did you find ground chicken? I don't recall seeing that in the major box stores around here.

warren
07-21-2009, 10:07 AM
he said ground turkey not chicken. thanks man i might try that too. good luck with your back problems i have them too

chambersuac
07-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Where did you find ground chicken? I don't recall seeing that in the major box stores around here.

Around here, Walmart sells it - as do a couple of the other grocery stores - mostly in chub form...

jocosa
07-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Also look for the Italian Turkey Sausage if you get a chance... we use it to make awesome pizza fattys.. load it up with pizza veggies, a low sodium sauce and fat free or part skim mozzarella.

Divemaster
07-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I think you should be fine if you stuff it with items that contain more moisture like peppers, corn, or tomatoes to replace the moisture lost during the cooking process...

You just got me thinking that I've never tried a dessert fattie... Maybe stuffed with fresh fruit like peaches or pine apple... this would lend it self towards the ground turkey/chicken... Gotta think on this one a bit....

Ashmont
07-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Bro- I've done it, and its pretty good. I don't know if theres anyway of getting around drying out the ground turkey. Maybe a higher temp, quicker cook. I've also smoked some stuffed bell peppers that were to die for.
I hope it works out for you.

Fin

Can you wrap in turkey bacon? Turkey explosion or poultry explosion?

LT72884
07-21-2009, 03:07 PM
thanx guys for the replies. I cant wait to try them out with turkey. Im thinkin italian turkey sausage with feta and peppers. Ill go easy on the cheese but feta is one of my favs.