PDA

View Full Version : BGE questions

LT72884
07-12-2009, 11:17 PM
In the future i can see my self buying either the BGE or kamado. I do have some questions on how they work and what is a good price for a large BGE.

My first question i think of is relating to temps. If you are cookin at 250* for a low and slow chicken. If you wanted to heat the BGE to 450 or so to grill the skin real quick. How long does it take for the fuel to heat up from 250 to 400 - 450 range?

Can kingsford be used as fuel or does it need to be some special stuff? i know i know. thats dumb but i wanted to ask it

Im just curious how these things work

Thanx

Matt

bbq lover
07-12-2009, 11:28 PM
im not a bge god but as for the Can kingsford be used as fuel yes i have a uds that i run with a stoker and it will get to 500 degs in mins.

LT72884
07-12-2009, 11:40 PM
im not a bge god but as for the Can kingsford be used as fuel yes i have a uds that i run with a stoker and it will get to 500 degs in mins.

stoker? Is that like a guru fan thing?

worf
07-12-2009, 11:41 PM
I have had my LBGE for a little over a month now. I did some burgers today and wanted to burn off the grease from the cook. I opened the damper and it went from 350 to 700 in about five minutes. Maybe less.

So, to go from 250 to the 400 - 450 range, is a matter of a minute or less from what I have experienced.The issue for me is trying to cool it off. The EGG really likes to hold the heat. A nice problem.

I usually use the BGE lump charcoal, but have been experimenting with the Royal Oak brand. It works fairly well.

The price is much higher here in Canada than the USA. I paid just shy of $1100 for my Large. Not sure of the exact price in the USA.

Hope this helps.

bbq lover
07-12-2009, 11:50 PM
yes but and some will say it so much kooler .. stoker you can hook so many more meat probes and pit probes aka if you have 2 or 3 pits aka eggs you can use 1 stoker with many probes guru is limited I have read the new guru is much better but its not a stoker

stoker? Is that like a guru fan thing?

Pyle's BBQ
07-12-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't think you should use the briquettes. The ceramic can absorb the chemical binders in the charcoal.

LT72884
07-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Hmm. ok cool. i bought some lump a while back that s amazing. It does not produce very much smoke when you light it. It burns why hot. 20$ for 40lbs of it.

Might use it my UDS once i get a ring.

N.E way., matter of a minute or so. DANG, how does it do that so well. Is there pictures of how the vents and dampers are set up?

Norcoredneck
07-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Is this the same person who is scraping to make a charcoal basket? :cool:
Eggs are designed and should only use lump. You can change temps pretty quickly in an egg. Down is a little tougher if you have been at a higher temp for some time as you have a large thermal mass. Eggs work great but cost $500 and up. Accessories are also more as they seem to be more specialized.

LT72884
07-13-2009, 03:34 AM
Is this the same person who is scraping to make a charcoal basket? :cool:

Thats why i said future purchase. Might be a few years LOLOL...

Nah, i have been wanting to see how these things work for a long time.

Chipper
07-13-2009, 06:22 AM
All ceramics recommend using lump. Getting the temp high is within 20 minutes or so depending on how you light the charcoal. I use wood/paraffin discs to get it lit. If cooking over 300 I put it on the bottom with the lump on top and put the starter on the top, if doing a low temp cook.

LT72884
07-13-2009, 04:01 PM
cool cool.

It seems to produce some really good food.

Maybe i can get a 5 finger discount somewheres on one. thats being resourceful

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-13-2009, 04:39 PM
so you are going to steal one? not cool. not cool at all.

CaptainJimmy
07-13-2009, 05:08 PM
My first question i think of is relating to temps. If you are cookin at 250* for a low and slow chicken. If you wanted to heat the BGE to 450 or so to grill the skin real quick. How long does it take for the fuel to heat up from 250 to 400 - 450 range?

not long at all, maybe 5-10 mins or so.

Can kingsford be used as fuel or does it need to be some special stuff? i know i know. thats dumb but i wanted to ask it

kingsford produces too much ash and has starch & coal binders. You want lump charcoal. I have quite a collection of it in my garage. BGE sells a lump but its expensive. Royal oak lump (who makes bge lump anyway) can be found at lots of walmarts for $6.37 for 10lb bag. My favorite for cooking everyday is royal oak, and my fave for low and slow is wicked good lump, which runs me about 22$ for 22#.

feel free to check out the naked whiz's site, it's the best around:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm

LT72884
07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
so you are going to steal one? not cool. not cool at all.

LOL, nah. to lazy to do that.

cheez59
07-14-2009, 05:26 AM
I don't have an egg but I have a Primo which is real close. With a fairly clean firebox and full of lump I can go from 250 to 450 in under 2 minutes.
Never use any form of briquettes in any ceramic. As stated before, the chemicals in briquettes ruin the ceramic and the ash will kill the air flow properties of the grill.